estate parking sensor location? - Page 3 - Interior / Exterior (Mk3 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

Photo

estate parking sensor location?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 ul9601

ul9601

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 254 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:03 Mondeo Mk3 Estate
  • Name:Sam

Posted 29 March 2020 - 02:04 AM

I have a 8 sensor unit with a distance display, with x4 sensor wire ~ 2300mm long, x4 sensor wire ~ 6000mm long & display unit wire ~ 5300mm long.

I'd like to use the long wire sensors for front, the short wire sensors for rear and control unit under the seat - IF there is enough room under the seat. Being an estate, once it's installed, it should be disturbed.

Questions:

- Is there enough room under the seat?

- Haynes manual instructs to pull out retaining clips (I presume these are under plastic covers) then lift the cushion and goes on to states that the clips are recommended to be replaced whenever removed. Is this the case?

Thanks guys.

2003 Mondeo 2.0 Duratec HE petrol MTX-75 5 speed manual (pre-face Mk3)

#22 dojj

dojj

Resident Wrestling Legend

• Members
  • 3765 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 April 2020 - 10:15 PM

POPULAR

having fitted some oem sensors (into a car with none) you have to figure out which sensors you want to use first
ford did 3 different ones, some have the plugs angled downwards and some are a different shape to fit into different holes

also, preface and facelift cars differ when it comes to the routing of the wiring into the car, facelifts have a factory hole to push the wiring through and pre don't, on the passenger side (left) just under the fresh air vent

had mine also had the facelift car it would have also had another hole on the other side to put the tow car electrics through

the estate crash bar is a must as it supports the bumper, not all cars had them though if they were hatch from what i can see, as for the holes, i tried to be delicate and used a dremmel but you need to attack with with an angle grinder really

the bar is removable, just don't forget to put the plastic upper trim back on again otherwise you'll have to remove the bumper all over again

any questions (assuming you haven't already done it) give me a shout and i'll try to find some pictures in the mean time

• ul9601 likes this

mk3 mondeo ghia x estate 2.0 auto with:

362mm 6 pot ap stoppers lurking behind some 8 x 18 comps
tv fitted to facelifted dash + headrest screens for both kids
full st kit + powerfolds w/puddlelights with jp stainless exhaust
shonky n/s/f rattle fixed by totd whoopie!
most of the chrome bits done

#23 raynkar

raynkar

Dash cams, catch 'em out :)

• Members
  • 12287 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 April 2020 - 08:27 AM

I have a 8 sensor unit with a distance display, with x4 sensor wire ~ 2300mm long, x4 sensor wire ~ 6000mm long & display unit wire ~ 5300mm long.

I'd like to use the long wire sensors for front, the short wire sensors for rear and control unit under the seat - IF there is enough room under the seat. Being an estate, once it's installed, it should be disturbed.

Questions:

- Haynes manual instructs to pull out retaining clips (I presume these are under plastic covers) then lift the cushion and goes on to states that the clips are recommended to be replaced whenever removed. Is this the case?

Thanks guys.

Are you talking about under the rear seat?

If so, you may choose to put the seats down at some stage, and if so, anything under what would normally be the rear seat base will mark the front of the folded rear upright.

Another position for the control unit and buzzer would be behind the glovebox. There is plenty of room there, and it would give easy access to that wouldn’t be disturbed later, as well as making routing for the display and buzzer wiring easier. 

You can put your vehicle info at the bottom of your posts to give details to help others know what you drive :)

#24 raynkar

raynkar

Dash cams, catch 'em out :)

• Members
  • 12287 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 April 2020 - 08:35 AM

POPULAR

This isn’t the best pic, but it shows the buzzer for a set of parking sensors in the space behind the glovebox. There is a lot of free space in this area, and it’s a good place to secure parts to as the horizontal crash bar is solid and also provides a strong earth point.

Even if the control box goes behind boot trim or under a seat, this area may be a prime candidate for the buzzer. 

The insulation tape on this buzzer was to make it a bit quieter. Adding or removing layers of tape seemed as good a volume control as any other method I tried :)

300BCD70-BD25-4C2B-B875-0C377DE93F68.jpeg

• ul9601 likes this
You can put your vehicle info at the bottom of your posts to give details to help others know what you drive :)

#25 ul9601

ul9601

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 08:36 AM

i looked at some photos of estates with parking sensors for a guide as well as drilling random holes on the bumper. the current bumper is already knackered and i had a spare one to fit so it was no biggie. I took the towing eye cover out to check the clearance, which got me fairly close. From that point onwards, it was just a matter of a bit of trial and error.

once i got the holes in the right places in the trial bumper and fitted the sensors, it worked fine - i was a little bit worried as the slope of the bumper makes the sensors point down when installed flush but didn't have any such issue.

when i got to transferring the locations to the new ("new-to-me") bumper, it turned out to be a bit tricky as i measure it off the top of the bumper and there are varying amount of chamfer radius there (centre 2 locations vs outer 2 locations). I managed to get them look ok, even though they might be a bit off. in hindsight, perhaps measuring from the interface between the lower grey plastic bit and the upper bumper would have made it easier. 

#26 ul9601

ul9601

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 08:40 AM

Questions:

Thanks guys.

Are you talking about under the rear seat?

If so, you may choose to put the seats down at some stage, and if so, anything under what would normally be the rear seat base will mark the front of the folded rear upright.

Another position for the control unit and buzzer would be behind the glovebox. There is plenty of room there, and it would give easy access to that wouldn’t be disturbed later, as well as making routing for the display and buzzer wiring easier. 

i've given up on the under the rear seat idea - it seems a bit tight, and if someone fat sits there it'll crush the control unit for sure.

ideally the glove compartment area would be the best but from what i measured, i would have to extend around 6 sensor wires. i'm thinking about putting it under passenger seat (not ideal, in case rear passenger kicks it etc) or maybe there is some cavity space at the base of B-pillar (which may be fully occupied by the seat belt - i've not taken the trim off yet)

#27 ul9601

ul9601

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 08:44 AM

mine has a separate control unit and a display unit - the display unit has quite a long cable, around 6 meters. what i intend to do is to feed the cable up the passenger side A pillar and stick the display unit at the top centre of the windscreen. i can bunch the cable with the auto dimming mirror & dashcam cables also.

volume is adjustable to a reasonably low level so that's a bonus.

#28 Rekusu

Rekusu

Megger

• Members
  • 1795 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk3 Mondeo, TDCI

Posted 29 April 2020 - 03:21 PM

POPULAR

I know it is slightly off topic, but I have an EPS sensor for the rear, and fitted a domestic earth cable through the clip-on bumper trim.

You can see it here:

https://talkford.com...parking-sensor/

Am planning to do the same for the front as I also have a front sensor.  Will feed the earth cable through the clip-on trim, drill  a hole to  take it behind the number plate and another to return to the other side trim.

Not yet sure where I take the power from, (may be the cigarette socket?) and would be nice to have a switch but don't really have any spare console space.  May be just leave it permanently on?  But my lighter is always on, so may be not a smart idea.

The instructions say to connect to the ignition switch but I dont' plan to play around with that.

• ul9601 likes this
What if the Hokey Cokey IS what it's all about?

#29 ul9601

ul9601

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 11:07 PM

that EPS business sounds cool - are they priceir than ultrasonic ones?

#30 Rekusu

Rekusu

Megger

• Members
  • 1795 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk3 Mondeo, TDCI

Posted 30 April 2020 - 06:22 AM

POPULAR

In my link to the TF thread, the first photo is the one I fitted.  It comes with a self adhesive ali tape to stick to the inside of the bumper, but after X years of driving, it had virtually fallen off.  I had removed the bumper to fit it.

So decided to see if I could do something within the decorative strip and tried with a bit of wire.  Worked well, so replaced with a more substantial earth cable.  Didn't have to remove the bumper, very happy bunny!

Powered from the reversing light contact and I put the beeper under the headlining near the front reading light so nice and loud.  With the beeper in the boot, rather difficult to hear.

• ul9601 likes this
What if the Hokey Cokey IS what it's all about?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users