Mondeo Mk3 Temperature Gauge fluctuates ("jumps!") - Electrical (Mk3 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Mondeo Mk3 Temperature Gauge fluctuates ("jumps!")

temperature gauge dashboard

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mondeomk3fan

mondeomk3fan

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Mk3 Zetec 1.8
  • Name:Vivian

Posted 17 February 2020 - 11:38 PM

Hi Folks,

I have a 55 reg Mondeo Mk3 1.8 petrol Zetec for the last 12 years, 91k on the clock

I have cared for it well - regularly services and she still drives beautifully and looks great.

But just recently I noticed the temperature gauge needle fluctuates on long runs (it has previously always remained solidly in the middle once the engine is warm).

So what happens now is that it stays in the middle for around 15 minutes then it suddenly jumps up to nearly in the red, then after a few minutes jumps back to around a third before jumping back to the centre again!  The needle doesn't move slowly up and down but "jumps" around!  Most bizarre!  And happens at all driving speeds.  I took it on a two hour motorway run today and it was jumping  throughout!

Just wondering if anyone had a similar problem, or would have an idea what's happening?  I would add that the car drives beautifully when this is happening, and it ticks over fine at standstill.

My garage thought it may be the sensor, so they changed it but unfortunately that hasn't made any difference.

Before I take it back, I thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks for reading this.

Vivian

#2 PURPLE_2L_LX

PURPLE_2L_LX

Mk3 Forum Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 27847 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:MK4.5 TDCI 140

Posted 18 February 2020 - 07:46 PM

POPULAR

Get an OBD reader and see if the temperature really is jumping around or whether the

reader shows a stable reading. If its stable then its probable the dash at fault. If the

temperature is jumping around it maybe the sensor or an airlock or a lack of coolant.

Belt slipping or pump failing, slipping on its shaft?

• mondeomk3fan likes this

MK4.5 TDCI 140 Business Estate.

MK3 FUSE INFO CLICK HERE ... FORD WIKI CLICK HERE .... FORD ETIS CLICK HERE

Adding your location may find someone local who could offer assistance.

F-Super, Bluetooth OBDII (ELM) and a MS509 scanners (test subjects required).

ForDiag now available to victims.

#3 mondeomk3fan

mondeomk3fan

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Mk3 Zetec 1.8
  • Name:Vivian

Posted 18 February 2020 - 10:32 PM

Get an OBD reader and see if the temperature really is jumping around or whether the

reader shows a stable reading. If its stable then its probable the dash at fault. If the

temperature is jumping around it maybe the sensor or an airlock or a lack of coolant.

Belt slipping or pump failing, slipping on its shaft?

Thanks very much Purple, I'll get those checked. 

Strangely, I took the car for a good 40 mile run today and the needle was rock solid on the centre for the entire journey!  So it's probably going to be one of those intermittent "hard to pin down" problems!

The coolant level is spot on and the heater is working fine, so I don't think it's too serious - yet!

Cheers. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: temperature gauge, dashboard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users