Ford Mondeo New Clutch - Transmission / Drivetrain (Mondeo Mk3) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Ford Mondeo New Clutch

ford mondeo new clutch

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OldHippy

OldHippy

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo
  • Name:Steve Wilkinson

Posted 13 February 2020 - 11:19 PM

Hi Guys,

Advice please, I have a Ford Mondeo Ghia 2004 1998 Petrol Genuine 70000 miles,recently the clutch started slipping so I took it to my local garage and they took it for a test drive and said ..yes it is definately on it's way out but the DMF seemed to be ok. So I ageed to have a new clutch fitted,they did this about a week ago ( £400) and all seemed well until today and the clutch has started slipping again,I have contacted the garage and they said to bring it back in,can anyone please advise me what could be wrong has I am beginning to have some doubts about the said garage and don't want to get ripped of.      Thanks in advance.

#2 raynkar

raynkar

Dash cams, catch 'em out :)

• Members
  • 11855 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 February 2020 - 11:43 PM

POPULAR

the garage will need to guarantee the work they carried out so if anything they fitted has failed they need to put that right.

Can you give more details of exactly how the clutch is slipping?

Im asking as I note you didn’t mention having the slave cylinder replaced as well as the cliutch.

• OldHippy likes this
You can put your vehicle info at the bottom of your posts to give details to help others know what you drive :)

#3 Mondygeek

Mondygeek

dont listen to me, you'll have horsepower and no money

• Members
  • 2950 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo mk3 (54) tdci
  • Name:Ben

Posted 14 February 2020 - 07:29 AM

POPULAR

Hi Guys,
Advice please, I have a Ford Mondeo Ghia 2004 1998 Petrol Genuine 70000 miles,recently the clutch started slipping so I took it to my local garage and they took it for a test drive and said ..yes it is definately on it's way out but the DMF seemed to be ok. So I ageed to have a new clutch fitted,they did this about a week ago ( £400) and all seemed well until today and the clutch has started slipping again,I have contacted the garage and they said to bring it back in,can anyone please advise me what could be wrong has I am beginning to have some doubts about the said garage and don't want to get ripped of. Thanks in advance.

£400 seems a little steep but anyway when it's back at the garage ask what parts and labour warranty is. No way it should be slipping I'd they've done everything correctly. If they havnt replaced the csc then they're incompetent as they should've advised you to have it replaced and with it being the cheapest part within the whole job of changing a clutch it's definitely worth doing
  • OldHippy likes this

#4 TreborB

TreborB

Powershifts Forever

• Members
  • 4732 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:BMW 320i M Sport
  • Name:TrevorB

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:02 AM

POPULAR

Agree, I would have replaced CSC whilst box out, as good engineering practice, but what has the CSC got to do with clutch slip
A failing CSC will make it difficult to select gears, not cause a clutch to slip

Edited by TreborB, 14 February 2020 - 09:04 AM.

• OldHippy likes this

BMW 320i M Sport 2019 Mineral Grey, Steptronic 8 speed ZF Auto

( Sorry but NO 2.3 Ecoboost 8 Speed Auto Mondeo's to be found!)

Focus 2018 Mk3.5, 1 Litre Ecoboost 140ps ST Line, SYNC3 Sat Nav, Parking Sensors, Colour Magnetic - Gifted to the Wife! Then Sold Aug 2019

Mondeo Mk5 Titanium 2L Ecoboost 240ps, X Pack, Body Kit, Rear Spoiler, 19" Alloys, LED Headlamps, Sony 12 Spkr Audio, Park Assist, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, Magnetic, Built Sept 2015,Sold Oct 2018.

Mondeo TitaniumX Sport 240ps 2L Ecoboost Powershift 2011 - Sold 2016 But Never Forgotten.

2007 - 2010, 4 New Focus ST225s

#5 OldHippy

OldHippy

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 05:55 PM

the garage will need to guarantee the work they carried out so if anything they fitted has failed they need to put that right.

Can you give more details of exactly how the clutch is slipping?

Im asking as I note you didn’t mention having the slave cylinder replaced as well as the cliutch.

Hi thanks for your reply, regarding the clutch slipping  it all started a couple of months ago really with what seemed to be a very very slight slipping on steep hills but not unduly affecting the cars performance ( with not enough certainty that it was a clutch problem to warrant a visit to a garage) ,

The problem seemed to come and go for no specific reason until recently when it started to get worse so I took it to the garage where they took it for a test drive,they informed me there was no noise from from the DMF (that's what the mechanic said,) so it would only require a replacement clutch...no mention was made of the slave cylinder.

According to the bill they have fitted a 3 part clutch???

I have attached a copy of the bill minus garage details.

The car at the moment is back at the garage.

Strangely whilst returning the car to the garage it appeared to run fine but with a slight intermittant misfire ,which the garage seemed to make a big deal about??? (I can't see how this has anything to do with the clutch and I can replace the plugs and leads etc myself)

Once again thanks for your reply...hope you can help.

BTW  the car has a LPG conversion which I had fitted on the car from new, but is rarely used nowadays due to me being retired and doing very low mileage, hence the problem with the plugs/leads.

new clutch feb 12020.jpg

#6 Mondygeek

Mondygeek

dont listen to me, you'll have horsepower and no money

• Members
  • 2950 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo mk3 (54) tdci
  • Name:Ben

Posted 14 February 2020 - 06:01 PM

3 piece clutch is normally

Csc release bearing

Friction plate

Pressure plate

Theres no other reason why it would be slipping unless they contaminated it or didn't clean the oil off it first

#7 OldHippy

OldHippy

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 06:10 PM

Csc release bearing

Friction plate

Pressure plate

Theres no other reason why it would be slipping unless they contaminated it or didn't clean the oil off it first

Thanks for your reply and advice car is now back at the garage.I am awaiting there findings. :(

Csc release bearing

Friction plate

Pressure plate

Thanks for your reply and advice car is now back at the garage.I am awaiting there findings. :(

Agree, I would have replaced CSC whilst box out, as good engineering practice, but what has the CSC got to do with clutch slip
A failing CSC will make it difficult to select gears, not cause a clutch to slip

#8 OldHippy

OldHippy

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 06:14 PM

i thanks for your replies, regarding the clutch slipping  it all started a couple of months ago really with what seemed to be a very very slight slipping on steep hills but not unduly affecting the cars performance ( with not enough certainty that it was a clutch problem to warrant a visit to a garage) ,

The problem seemed to come and go for no specific reason until recently when it started to get worse so I took it to the garage where they took it for a test drive,they informed me there was no noise from from the DMF (that's what the mechanic said,) so it would only require a replacement clutch...no mention was made of the slave cylinder.

According to the bill they have fitted a 3 part clutch???

I have attached a copy of the bill minus garage details.

The car at the moment is back at the garage.

Strangely whilst returning the car to the garage it appeared to run fine but with a slight intermittant misfire ,which the garage seemed to make a big deal about??? (I can't see how this has anything to do with the clutch and I can replace the plugs and leads etc myself)

Once again thanks for your replies...hope you can help.

BTW  the car has a LPG conversion which I had fitted on the car from new, but is rarely used nowadays due to me being retired and doing very low mileage, hence the problem with the plugs/leads.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users