Loud high pitches squealing, possibly the oil pump? - V6 'Duratec' Petrol Engines (Mondeo Mk3) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Loud high pitches squealing, possibly the oil pump?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ancienttyres

ancienttyres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo mk3 v6 petrol

Posted 11 February 2020 - 12:43 PM

This started happening a few months ago, seems to only do it when the engine is cold and less than 1500 revs. I actually thought it was the alternator when it first started happening but I'd only heard it while sat in the drviers seat. Yesterday for the first time since it started happening I had the engine running with my head under the bonnet and realised actually the loud (very loud) high pitched whining/squealing is coming from the wrong side of the engine for it to be the alternator:

Inkedg002274701_LI.jpg

I can't seem to find an exploded view of this side of the engine with all the components labelled, so correct if I'm wrong please but is that the belt that drives the oil pump and the timing chain? If so, my guess would be the oil pump's making the noise and probably has a bearing on the way out? It doesn't really sound like the belt is slipping (and considering my current misfire issues I'd be highly surprised if it was something as simple as the belt slipping or the tensioner causing the noise).

#2 mondy zetecs

mondy zetecs

Clever Clauggs

• Members
  • 4208 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 2.5l v6 2002
  • Name:Harry

Posted 11 February 2020 - 02:21 PM

Timing is driven by chain not belt, 

The small belt is water pump on that side,easy and cheap enough to change first

unless you can find the squeal from the other pulleys.

Ford F53E 8K543 AB @ £15.78 (price over 6yrs ago i got robbed)

Genuine Ford £8.59 https://www.ebay.co....RMAAOSwA~1b2GNJ

Gates £6.20 https://www.ebay.co....ItemCondition=3

Edited by mondy zetecs, 11 February 2020 - 02:51 PM.

Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost 2014

#3 mondy zetecs

mondy zetecs

Clever Clauggs

• Members
  • 4208 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 02:52 PM

http://www.catcar.in...TIxNjE2MzUrMzEy

Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost 2014

#4 ancienttyres

ancienttyres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 11:19 PM

Thanks for clarifying that. Looks like that image I found on google image search came from that catcar website actually, which is worth knowing about. I've got a new drive belt somewhere so yea, will fit that first. Got my coils for the other problem yesterday too so be spending saturday afternoon under the bonnet by the looks of it.

#5 nicam49

nicam49

Little Megger

• Gold Member
  • 4269 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo mk3
  • Name:Nick

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:14 AM

While you've got the belt off, give the idler pulley a spin to see if it's stiff
<p><p>nicam49 2002 Mondeo TDCi Ghia X Estate mk3 pre facelift Stardust Silver+Rust.[b] 308,000+miles, but been off the road since Nov 2019 after timing chain slipped during fuel pump transplant. Awaiting return of mojo

#6 ancienttyres

ancienttyres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 07:48 PM

Will do. Was going to do it today but the weather's been too rubbish.

#7 nicam49

nicam49

Little Megger

• Gold Member
  • 4269 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 10:33 AM

If the pulley on the tensioner is tight, you CAN buy replacement pulleys if you search ebay carefully. It's not a Ford part, they'll only sell you a very expensive idler, but you can save a whole heap of money by just buying a new pulley
<p><p>nicam49 2002 Mondeo TDCi Ghia X Estate mk3 pre facelift Stardust Silver+Rust.[b] 308,000+miles, but been off the road since Nov 2019 after timing chain slipped during fuel pump transplant. Awaiting return of mojo

#8 ancienttyres

ancienttyres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 01:45 PM

So I got around to doing this today. Took the old belt off, and I gave the tensioner pulley and the waterpump pulley a spin. The tensioner wasn't silky smooth but it didn't feel rough either. The water pump is a bit stiff but it moves free enough, if anything it felt a bit "lumpy" I suppose. I put the new belt on, started the engine and the squeal was back, not quite a prominent though, seemed a bit more intermittent. Belt definitely needed replacing though so it wasn't a wasted effort.

Anyway I took the belt off again and gave all the pulleys a bit of a wobble to see if any were loose but they all seem pretty tight on there. Even started the engine for a few seconds and gave it a rev with the belt off just on the off chance the squeal was something else but there was no squeal. Turned off, belt back on, started again and wouldn't you know the squeal still didn't come back though I really think that's a red herring as it usually did go after a few minutes of running anyway. I expect if I leave it an hour to cool right off and go back out there and start it the squeal will be back.

I don't know what it is causing it but, the most annoying thing is it's so loud I can't even tell where it's coming from but it's definitely somewhere in amongst those pulleys.

#9 mondy zetecs

mondy zetecs

Clever Clauggs

• Members
  • 4208 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 02:45 PM

How about a drop of oil on each pulley,one at a time, to see if you can pinpoint

which one.

Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost 2014

#10 nicam49

nicam49

Little Megger

• Gold Member
  • 4269 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 10:59 PM

On my diesel Mondeo, the water pump and power steering pump are ganged together... don't know about on the petrol version. Anyway, my power steering pump seized up last year and totally shredded the belt....just thought I'd mention it in case you want to put the old belt back on for now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users