Loud high pitches squealing, possibly the oil pump? - V6 'Duratec' Petrol Engines (Mondeo Mk3) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Loud high pitches squealing, possibly the oil pump?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ancienttyres

ancienttyres

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo mk3 v6 petrol

Posted 11 February 2020 - 12:43 PM

This started happening a few months ago, seems to only do it when the engine is cold and less than 1500 revs. I actually thought it was the alternator when it first started happening but I'd only heard it while sat in the drviers seat. Yesterday for the first time since it started happening I had the engine running with my head under the bonnet and realised actually the loud (very loud) high pitched whining/squealing is coming from the wrong side of the engine for it to be the alternator:

Inkedg002274701_LI.jpg

I can't seem to find an exploded view of this side of the engine with all the components labelled, so correct if I'm wrong please but is that the belt that drives the oil pump and the timing chain? If so, my guess would be the oil pump's making the noise and probably has a bearing on the way out? It doesn't really sound like the belt is slipping (and considering my current misfire issues I'd be highly surprised if it was something as simple as the belt slipping or the tensioner causing the noise).

#2 mondy zetecs

mondy zetecs

Clever Clauggs

• Members
  • 3580 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 2.5l v6 2002
  • Name:Harry

Posted 11 February 2020 - 02:21 PM

Timing is driven by chain not belt, 

The small belt is water pump on that side,easy and cheap enough to change first

unless you can find the squeal from the other pulleys.

Ford F53E 8K543 AB @ £15.78 (price over 6yrs ago i got robbed)

Genuine Ford £8.59 https://www.ebay.co....RMAAOSwA~1b2GNJ

Gates £6.20 https://www.ebay.co....ItemCondition=3

Edited by mondy zetecs, 11 February 2020 - 02:51 PM.

Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost 2014

#3 mondy zetecs

mondy zetecs

Clever Clauggs

• Members
  • 3580 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 2.5l v6 2002
  • Name:Harry

Posted 11 February 2020 - 02:52 PM

http://www.catcar.in...TIxNjE2MzUrMzEy

Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost 2014

#4 ancienttyres

ancienttyres

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 11:19 PM

Thanks for clarifying that. Looks like that image I found on google image search came from that catcar website actually, which is worth knowing about. I've got a new drive belt somewhere so yea, will fit that first. Got my coils for the other problem yesterday too so be spending saturday afternoon under the bonnet by the looks of it.

#5 nicam49

nicam49

Little Megger

• Gold Member
  • 3730 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo mk3
  • Name:Nick

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:14 AM

While you've got the belt off, give the idler pulley a spin to see if it's stiff
<p><p>nicam49 2002 Mondeo TDCi Ghia X Estate mk3 pre facelift Stardust Silver+Rust. STOP PRESS! Mot passed @308,000+ miles... keeping fingers well and truly crossed.

#6 ancienttyres

ancienttyres

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 07:48 PM

Will do. Was going to do it today but the weather's been too rubbish.

#7 nicam49

nicam49

Little Megger

• Gold Member
  • 3730 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo mk3
  • Name:Nick

Posted 16 February 2020 - 10:33 AM

If the pulley on the tensioner is tight, you CAN buy replacement pulleys if you search ebay carefully. It's not a Ford part, they'll only sell you a very expensive idler, but you can save a whole heap of money by just buying a new pulley
<p><p>nicam49 2002 Mondeo TDCi Ghia X Estate mk3 pre facelift Stardust Silver+Rust. STOP PRESS! Mot passed @308,000+ miles... keeping fingers well and truly crossed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users