What is behind the top middle pully on the ancillary belt? - Page 4 - V6 'Duratec' Petrol Engines (Mondeo Mk3) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

What is behind the top middle pully on the ancillary belt?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 raynkar

raynkar

Dash cams, catch 'em out :)

• Members
  • 12949 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 April 2020 - 08:50 PM

The difference being that it would take weeks to get to, say, Oz instead of hours. Anyone carrying the virus would have died on board ship before arriving...?

No, that’s not how it worked. The US troops who arrived In Europe by ship from the USA killed an order of magnitude more with the Spanish flu they brought with them than they did in combat.

What is sadly lacking from that period are accurate records of how many died from the flu over its three outings.

You can put your vehicle info at the bottom of your posts to give details to help others know what you drive :)

#32 raynkar

raynkar

• Members
  • 12949 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 April 2020 - 08:56 PM

It’s very sobering to think that 20 million people died in ‘the war to end all wars’ but the flu pandemic killed 20-50 million depending on what sources are viewed.

That means that at the lowest count 40 million extra people may have died over a five year period that may otherwise have mostly lived.

At the higher end of the figures the amount is greater than the entire population of many present day European countries.

Edited by raynkar, 06 April 2020 - 08:57 PM.

You can put your vehicle info at the bottom of your posts to give details to help others know what you drive :)

#33 nicam49

nicam49

Little Megger

• Gold Member
  • 4289 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo mk3
  • Name:Nick

Posted 06 April 2020 - 10:11 PM

Very sobering thought. Even with modern meds it's touch and go whether someone pulls through with this CV. Dr Karl on radio 5live a few months ago talked about a computer simulation of a CV pandemic run at Johns Hopkins Uni and the predicted world death toll was staggering. I'll see if I've still got the podcast 'cos I can't recall the number of millions.
<p><p>nicam49 2002 Mondeo TDCi Ghia X Estate mk3 pre facelift Stardust Silver+Rust.[b] 308,000+miles, but been off the road since Nov 2019 after timing chain slipped during fuel pump transplant. Awaiting return of mojo

#34 raynkar

raynkar

• Members
  • 12949 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 April 2020 - 10:24 PM

Very sobering thought. Even with modern meds it's touch and go whether someone pulls through with this CV. Dr Karl on radio 5live a few months ago talked about a computer simulation of a CV pandemic run at Johns Hopkins Uni and the predicted world death toll was staggering. I'll see if I've still got the podcast 'cos I can't recall the number of millions.

Wow, are you a Dr Karl fan?

I think he’s brilliant.

#35 nicam49

nicam49

Little Megger

• Gold Member
  • 4289 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 10:33 PM

POPULAR

Oh yeah! What a guy! I've archived a lot of his podcasts... And (Dr) Rhod Sharp too. I really miss his Up All Nights. I managed to download using get_iplayer a few of his broadcasts. Hope he's OK over in the US... he mentioned in one of his final progs he'd been asked to do a podcast for the Beeb later in the year.
  • raynkar likes this
<p><p>nicam49 2002 Mondeo TDCi Ghia X Estate mk3 pre facelift Stardust Silver+Rust.[b] 308,000+miles, but been off the road since Nov 2019 after timing chain slipped during fuel pump transplant. Awaiting return of mojo

#36 Steve_v6

Steve_v6

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk3 Mondeo 2.5L V6
  • Name:Steve

Posted 13 April 2020 - 12:06 PM

Correction,  while out on my exercising session,  I've just seen a person wearing a face mask lol.

The look of pure paranoia she gave me was incredible,  she looked terrified that another person was going to pass her and she actually moved over to put more distance between us pmsl.

I'm not trying to be funny here but can you blame her? You should be enacting social distancing too and wearing a mask out in public is just common sense. It's not one rule for them and another for you, they reckon the incubation period on this virus could be up to two weeks, and you may even be asymptomatic while being fully infectious. So there's no reason to be offended or surprised by someone avoiding you and giving you a funny look if you're heading straight for them with no mask on and not even remotely interested in keeping your distance. You could have the virus and not even know it yet, and if you pass that virus on you could be directly responsible for the death of one or more other people. Surly it's better then to be paranoid than risk infection and potentially dying as a result, isn't it?

Besides with the number of morons ignoring and deliberately flouting the rules that have been put in place, the more people that start to properly avoid each other and wear masks and take other precautions to prevent the spread of this virus the better, and the quicker this whole mess can be cleaned up. But at this rate that isn't going to happen any time soon thanks to the idiots and those with blasé attitudes.

You clearly don't know about the virus. Wearing a face mask whilst out on the street makes no difference,  it's not common sense it's paranoia. 

The virus is NOT an airborne pathogen,  you cannot catch it without coming into physical contact with it.

People are over reacting,  behaving like that woman did makes her the idiot, not me.

#37 GhiaX Chas

GhiaX Chas

Megger

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 2.5T Titanium

Posted 16 April 2020 - 10:49 AM

Correction,  while out on my exercising session,  I've just seen a person wearing a face mask lol.

The look of pure paranoia she gave me was incredible,  she looked terrified that another person was going to pass her and she actually moved over to put more distance between us pmsl.

I'm not trying to be funny here but can you blame her? You should be enacting social distancing too and wearing a mask out in public is just common sense. It's not one rule for them and another for you, they reckon the incubation period on this virus could be up to two weeks, and you may even be asymptomatic while being fully infectious. So there's no reason to be offended or surprised by someone avoiding you and giving you a funny look if you're heading straight for them with no mask on and not even remotely interested in keeping your distance. You could have the virus and not even know it yet, and if you pass that virus on you could be directly responsible for the death of one or more other people. Surly it's better then to be paranoid than risk infection and potentially dying as a result, isn't it?

Besides with the number of morons ignoring and deliberately flouting the rules that have been put in place, the more people that start to properly avoid each other and wear masks and take other precautions to prevent the spread of this virus the better, and the quicker this whole mess can be cleaned up. But at this rate that isn't going to happen any time soon thanks to the idiots and those with blasé attitudes.

You clearly don't know about the virus. Wearing a face mask whilst out on the street makes no difference,  it's not common sense it's paranoia. 

The virus is NOT an airborne pathogen,  you cannot catch it without coming into physical contact with it.

People are over reacting,  behaving like that woman did makes her the idiot, not me.

Except, it is airborne between short distances, hence the distancing measures.

Very true about the masks mind you.

Mega Mile Mondeo User

2005 Mondeo 3.0 Ghia X Estate LPG. 262k: Crashed : RIP
2007 Mk3 Mondeo 1.8 LX LPG 324k : Sold

2008 Mk4 Mondeo Ghia 2.5T Saloon : Sold
2008 Mk4 Mondeo Titanium 2.5T Estate : Daily Driver

#38 Steve_v6

Steve_v6

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk3 Mondeo 2.5L V6
  • Name:Steve

Posted 16 April 2020 - 01:03 PM

Correction, while out on my exercising session, I've just seen a person wearing a face mask lol.

The look of pure paranoia she gave me was incredible, she looked terrified that another person was going to pass her and she actually moved over to put more distance between us pmsl.

You clearly don't know about the virus. Wearing a face mask whilst out on the street makes no difference, it's not common sense it's paranoia.

The virus is NOT an airborne pathogen, you cannot catch it without coming into physical contact with it.

People are over reacting, behaving like that woman did makes her the idiot, not me.
Except, it is airborne between short distances, hence the distancing measures.

Very true about the masks mind you.

It's only airborne when someone coughs or sneezes, the aerosol droplets fall to the ground in Seconds and simply being near someone who has the virus but is not coughing or sneezing poses no risk what so ever.

People are behaving like looneys outside and acting like being within 5 meters of a random person is going to get them killed, dumb people are letting this virus consume them and they are behaving irrationally.

#39 nicam49

nicam49

Little Megger

• Gold Member
  • 4289 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 06:38 PM

Let's hear from an actual expert for a change. Watch last night's Peston 35 minutes in.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users