What is behind the top middle pully on the ancillary belt? - Page 2 - V6 'Duratec' Petrol Engines (Mondeo Mk3) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

What is behind the top middle pully on the ancillary belt?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#11 Steve_v6

Steve_v6

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk3 Mondeo 2.5L V6
  • Name:Steve

Posted 12 March 2020 - 01:03 PM

So, looking at Mondy Zetec's diagram above, can you identify which pulley it is?

It's not a zetec, it's a v6. 

#12 Steve_v6

Steve_v6

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 01:07 PM

POPULAR

Over 10 yrs ago i had a slight oil leak that side upto top of engine,

resealed oil sump gasket and not done anything else,the leak on

the side of engine has gone.

Could the pulleys splash oil up the engine.    

I first thought that it was oil being flung up but after close inspection,  the oil distribution doesn't look right and I'm sure it's going down from that pully rather than making it up from something else.

No other pully has any oil on it and the belts are clean too, the only place oil is present is the underside of the housing for that pully and the side of the block leading down to the sump and onto the exhaust. 

Now I could be wrong and sometimes things van be deceptive but that's what it looks like to me.

• mondy zetecs likes this

#13 nicam49

nicam49

Little Megger

• Gold Member
  • 4271 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo mk3
  • Name:Nick

Posted 13 March 2020 - 08:14 AM

So, looking at Mondy Zetec's diagram above, can you identify which pulley it is?

Ha ha that's his name if you hadn't noticed. :-) Can you identify the oil as engine or ps fluid? Looking in my green Haynes manual, section 2B,
the ps pump is self-contained and is bolted onto the timing cover, so unless that cover gasket is weeping engine oil, then that oil is ps fluid, or could it be, as has been suggested, sump oil travelling up? You've got to bite the bullet and dive in to take a closer look... let us know how it goes!👍
<p><p>nicam49 2002 Mondeo TDCi Ghia X Estate mk3 pre facelift Stardust Silver+Rust.[b] 308,000+miles, but been off the road since Nov 2019 after timing chain slipped during fuel pump transplant. Awaiting return of mojo

#14 Steve_v6

Steve_v6

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 09:22 AM

Ha ha that's his name if you hadn't noticed. :-) Can you identify the oil as engine or ps fluid? Looking in my green Haynes manual, section 2B,
the ps pump is self-contained and is bolted onto the timing cover, so unless that cover gasket is weeping engine oil, then that oil is ps fluid, or could it be, as has been suggested, sump oil travelling up? You've got to bite the bullet and dive in to take a closer look... let us know how it goes!

PS fluid would smell different than engine oil though wouldn't it? 

I'd be very happy if it does turn out to be the ps pump, anything thats a bolt on and isn't a internal would be a big relief.

I topped up the ps fluid a few months ago, it shouldn't have dropped so I'll check that and see if it has which would be a strong pointer to the ps pump being the offender.

#15 Steve_v6

Steve_v6

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 06:07 PM

Keep meaning to check that ps fluid level but I've been totally consumed with prepping for the end of the world lol.

Steve will not be going hungry in the unlikely event things get much worse ha ha.

#16 nicam49

nicam49

Little Megger

• Gold Member
  • 4271 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 09:02 PM

So long as you got the toilet rolls.... and DO wash those hands!
<p><p>nicam49 2002 Mondeo TDCi Ghia X Estate mk3 pre facelift Stardust Silver+Rust.[b] 308,000+miles, but been off the road since Nov 2019 after timing chain slipped during fuel pump transplant. Awaiting return of mojo

#17 mondy zetecs

mondy zetecs

Clever Clauggs

• Members
  • 4208 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 2.5l v6 2002
  • Name:Harry

Posted 14 March 2020 - 09:36 PM

Nicam  what are you on tonight. :biggrin:  :beer:

Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost 2014

#18 Steve_v6

Steve_v6

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 10:56 PM

Ha ha, yeah I have toilet rolls.

I actually left them till last as food was more important and not many recipes include toilet rolls in the ingredients lol.

Seriously,  I  could survive for at least 4 months if food became impossible to get and the best bit is that all of the stuff I've bought I eat anyway but would end up swapping a small handful of pasta I normally have with boiled chicken and a mountain of frozen veg in a low fat jar sauce to having to entirely replace the veg and chicken with pasta or rice.

I dont think things will get so bad that food is impossible to get but it makes sense to be ready for the worst especially when short term it absolutely is that bad as my local tesco has been stripped bare and has empty shelves everywhere including to my horror, the frozen veg!!!

I have limited frozen storage and only have about 7 days of veg (I eat a kilo of it a day!) and about 2 weeks of chicken,  I really hope the food supply situation recovers soon but the instant anything gets restocked it's all bought in minutes. 

The manager at my local tesco thinks that someone must post on social media when something has come in as within a very short time there is a sudden rush of in his words - 'people preparing for d-day' pmsl.

Below is what I found when I went in today to see if I could get some more stuff, I stopped and burst out laughing,  it was a sight to see lol

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0673-2880x1620.JPG

Edited by Steve_v6, 14 March 2020 - 11:05 PM.

#19 nicam49

nicam49

Little Megger

• Gold Member
  • 4271 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 11:42 AM

Bloody Hell!! (Mods, is that allowed?)

Fortunately, we have a local greengrocer (remember them?) that most people here don't shop at... preferring supermarket prices and frozen veg, so I think we're OK for the time being.

#20 Steve_v6

Steve_v6

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 12:31 PM

Bloody Hell!! (Mods, is that allowed?)

Fortunately, we have a local greengrocer (remember them?) that most people here don't shop at... preferring supermarket prices and frozen veg, so I think we're OK for the time being.

Greengrocers are just a distant memory,  I've not seen one of those for about 20 year's! 

I'm so glad I was one of the fast acting people and got all of the right things very early and subsequent trips out have just been top up attempts. 

I'm not a prepper but it's always been something I've been interested in and made sure that I knew what to do if in a very short period of time I needed to get ready for something.

I'm starting to get concerned about the noises coming from the government,  they are suggesting they might give the police powers to arrest people without warrant, that's ripe for abuse and I don't trust my local police.

So far stockpiling is the only obvious behaviour of people in my area,  I've not seen anyone in a mask yet and people are not staying at home and hopefully it will remain that way.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users