What is behind the top middle pully on the ancillary belt? - V6 'Duratec' Petrol Engines (Mondeo Mk3) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

What is behind the top middle pully on the ancillary belt?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Steve_v6

Steve_v6

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk3 Mondeo 2.5L V6
  • Name:Steve

Posted 02 February 2020 - 06:01 PM

I have an oil leak, at first I thought it was the sump gasket and ignored it as it seemed minor as I wasn't loosing loads of oil and only stank after a ragging but now I've had a more thorough look it seems like the source is the top middle pully on the aux belt.

If whatever is behind it is a relatively simple fix I want to do it as the burning oil stink is getting worse, especially after a thrashing :(

Steve.

#2 ancienttyres

ancienttyres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo mk3 v6 petrol

Posted 18 February 2020 - 06:40 AM

On a diagram I found on fordwiki for the mk3 v6 about replacing the tensioner it says the top middle one (no. 2 by my reckoning) is the water pump. However I was told in one of my topics that the water pump's on the opposite side of the engine.

Duratec-aux-routing.jpg

1. Power steering pump pulley
  2. Water pump pulley
  3. Accessory drive belt
  4. Air conditioning (AC) compressor pulley
  5. Crankshaft pulley
  6. Accessory drive belt tensioner pulley
  7. Alternator pulley
  8. Accessory drive belt idler pulley

I'm going to get a haynes manual for my car soon so I'll have a look and see what they say. An alternative might be your power steering pump or a hose connected to is leaking under high pressure? I know when mine sprung a leak several years ago it stunk of burning oil, though that was because a hose round the back popped and pissed all the power steering fluid over the exhaust manifold.

#3 mondy zetecs

mondy zetecs

Clever Clauggs

• Members
  • 4208 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 2.5l v6 2002
  • Name:Harry

Posted 18 February 2020 - 02:33 PM

This is a 2.5 v6fbed48c2286d4993b0877a4df528f175.jpg

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost 2014

#4 ancienttyres

ancienttyres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo mk3 v6 petrol

Posted 23 February 2020 - 12:37 PM

Explains why the diagram I found is wrong. It isn't, it's just for the 1.8/2.0l. Didn't even read the first paragraph. I can't delete/edit that post either for some stupid reason so that misinformation will now remain there forever more I guess. Whoops.

#5 Steve_v6

Steve_v6

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 11:02 PM

Thanks for your replies,  I didn't get a notification so I've only found them by sticking my head in here to check :(

Hmm, the water pump still seems a likely candidate,  the pully is in-between but slightly below the tops of the two cylinder banks but is the water pump lubricated, I don't understand an oil leak if it is the water pump? 

I'm sure it's coming from the shaft behind said pully and not being flung up, the pattern is all wrong and nothing but the bottom side of the pully shafts housing and a straight path down the side of the block to the sump has any oil on it.

I'll try and grab a photo of it tomorrow,  that would help a lot more lol.

I've driven a 2.5L V6 mk3 for the last 16 odd years but I have never EVER had a single problem with anything to do with the engine on ether of the two I've owned despite them being driven like they are stolen, apart from the y pipe flexy joint and the standard stuff like bushes and brakes so I've never had any need to know what's what on the pully side of the engine till now.

Seriously,  I've never even had to replace a belt, alternator or even a starter,  my first was so dam reliable I was not buying anything but a direct replacement when the original was so tatty it just had to go lol.

Speaking of which, here's my first one, taken back in 2003 when it was just a couple of years old (it was a 2001) and only had 32,000 on the clock and was not beat up by the bad parking of my ex wife yet lol.

I like my current one but the old one really knew how to sparkle when it was clean :)

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00295.JPG

Edited by Steve_v6, 10 March 2020 - 11:06 PM.

#6 nicam49

nicam49

Little Megger

• Gold Member
  • 4271 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo mk3
  • Name:Nick

Posted 11 March 2020 - 09:10 AM

Crankshaft oil seal weeping is a likely source.
<p><p>nicam49 2002 Mondeo TDCi Ghia X Estate mk3 pre facelift Stardust Silver+Rust.[b] 308,000+miles, but been off the road since Nov 2019 after timing chain slipped during fuel pump transplant. Awaiting return of mojo

#7 Steve_v6

Steve_v6

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 02:19 PM

Here's the pully where the oil is leaking from.

I'm hoping that a fix is relatively easy to do, I'm competent and do all my own work on cars and refuse to pay garages! 

I'm not loosing crazy amounts of oil but it's traveling down the side of the block,  onto the sump and then getting onto the hot exhaust and it absolutely stinks  :(

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0666-2880x1620.JPG
  • DSC_0667-2880x1620.JPG

Edited by Steve_v6, 11 March 2020 - 02:21 PM.

#8 nicam49

nicam49

Little Megger

• Gold Member
  • 4271 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo mk3
  • Name:Nick

Posted 11 March 2020 - 03:20 PM

So, looking at Mondy Zetec's diagram above, can you identify which pulley it is?
<p><p>nicam49 2002 Mondeo TDCi Ghia X Estate mk3 pre facelift Stardust Silver+Rust.[b] 308,000+miles, but been off the road since Nov 2019 after timing chain slipped during fuel pump transplant. Awaiting return of mojo

#9 twincarbs

twincarbs

I Love Diesel

• Members
  • 2160 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk3 Mondeo 2.2 TDCi

Posted 11 March 2020 - 05:02 PM

Looks like the power steering pump pulley to me.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Sometimes I let her sleep in.

#10 mondy zetecs

mondy zetecs

Clever Clauggs

• Members
  • 4208 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 2.5l v6 2002
  • Name:Harry

Posted 11 March 2020 - 11:16 PM

Over 10 yrs ago i had a slight oil leak that side upto top of engine,

resealed oil sump gasket and not done anything else,the leak on

the side of engine has gone.

Could the pulleys splash oil up the engine.    

Edited by mondy zetecs, 11 March 2020 - 11:17 PM.

Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost 2014

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users