Halford's Jack going down! - Tools and Test/ Diagnostic equipment - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Halford's Jack going down!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 nicam49

nicam49

Little Megger

• Gold Member
  • 3730 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo mk3
  • Name:Nick

Posted 14 January 2020 - 11:13 AM

Operation is to open timing chain cover. So,there I am, with the jack placed under the sump with some rubber pads to prevent damage, raise the jack to support the engine to enable me to remove the rhs engine mount. Jack is a 2 tonne low profile I've had about 4 years. After about 2 hours, I notice that Jack is no longer supporting the engine... arghh! It's gone down on its own. Its not as if this jack's have a hard life either.
I've got a 50 year old bottle jack that stays up as long as it needs to. Is there something wrong with my Halfords jack or is this to be expected on this type of jack? As there isn't any where to put an axle stand to support the engine, it's a bit of a bummer!
<p><p>nicam49 2002 Mondeo TDCi Ghia X Estate mk3 pre facelift Stardust Silver+Rust. STOP PRESS! Mot passed @308,000+ miles... keeping fingers well and truly crossed.

#2 stonekeeper

stonekeeper

TF regular

• Members
  • 573 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo titanium x
  • Name:Mark

Posted 14 January 2020 - 11:29 AM

If it's not leaking it will be a seal on the piston inside that has gone.

Similar to a brake cylinder.

Probably repairable

Have you ever topped up the oil?

Edited by stonekeeper, 14 January 2020 - 11:37 AM.

#3 nicam49

nicam49

Little Megger

• Gold Member
  • 3730 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 12:16 PM

Have you ever topped up the oil?

No I haven't, but I've never seen any fluid leaking out either. Do you happen to know if steering fluid will do or will I need a trip to Halfords for jack oil?
These budget jacks all seem much the same design whether Aldi, Lidl, Clarke, Halfords...
<p><p>nicam49 2002 Mondeo TDCi Ghia X Estate mk3 pre facelift Stardust Silver+Rust. STOP PRESS! Mot passed @308,000+ miles... keeping fingers well and truly crossed.

#4 stonekeeper

stonekeeper

TF regular

• Members
  • 573 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo titanium x

Posted 14 January 2020 - 12:26 PM

POPULAR

Not sure about steering fluid, I would use jack oil.

If you have never topped it up in 4 years it may just need topping up and bleeding.

Does it go all the way down under pressure or just a bit lower?

• TreborB likes this

#5 nicam49

nicam49

Little Megger

• Gold Member
  • 3730 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 01:04 PM

POPULAR

Not sure about steering fluid, I would use jack oil.

If you have never topped it up in 4 years it may just need topping up and bleeding.

Does it go all the way down under pressure or just a bit lower?

Hi, it goes down a bit when under load but not all the way down. Been looking on youtube and think I've got enough info to have a go at bleeding it, but will have to buy some fluid if steering/atf won't do.
  • stonekeeper likes this

#6 TreborB

TreborB

Powershifts Forever

• Members
  • 4726 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:BMW 320i M Sport
  • Name:TrevorB

Posted 14 January 2020 - 01:12 PM

POPULAR

It is jack oil, not steering fluid

If anyone needs to purchase a trolley jack (or bonnet/boot struts) go here, SGS

https://www.sgs-engi...t/trolley-jacks

https://www.sgs-engi...CFSnlwgod9SoAEQ

• stonekeeper likes this

BMW 320i M Sport 2019 Mineral Grey, Steptronic 8 speed ZF Auto

( Sorry but NO 2.3 Ecoboost 8 Speed Auto Mondeo's to be found!)

Focus 2018 Mk3.5, 1 Litre Ecoboost 140ps ST Line, SYNC3 Sat Nav, Parking Sensors, Colour Magnetic - Gifted to the Wife! Then Sold Aug 2019

Mondeo Mk5 Titanium 2L Ecoboost 240ps, X Pack, Body Kit, Rear Spoiler, 19" Alloys, LED Headlamps, Sony 12 Spkr Audio, Park Assist, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, Magnetic, Built Sept 2015,Sold Oct 2018.

Mondeo TitaniumX Sport 240ps 2L Ecoboost Powershift 2011 - Sold 2016 But Never Forgotten.

2007 - 2010, 4 New Focus ST225s

#7 nicam49

nicam49

Little Megger

• Gold Member
  • 3730 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 04:47 PM

That's all well and good, but let's face it, they're all Chinese whoever you buy them from. Same materials same design same everything else. ie no better than all the rest really.

#8 Mark M

Mark M

TF regular

• Members
  • 1126 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk4 Mondeo 2.5t

Posted 14 January 2020 - 05:53 PM

POPULAR

That's all well and good, but let's face it, they're all Chinese whoever you buy them from. Same materials same design same everything else. ie no better than all the rest really.

Dunno about that, I bought this one - https://www.ebay.co....w0AAOSwI-heBeAp a couple of years ago, they do claim to be the manufacturer of it and it's far more robust than the Halfords jack I replaced with it, or any of the other jacks I've had over the years. Plus a 2-year warranty is better than a lot of Chinese brand ones seem to offer.
  • nicam49 and TreborB like this

RamAir Pod Filter   -   Elevate FST225 Top Pipe   -   Airtec FMIC   -   Scorpion Downpipe   -    Scorpion Cat Back Exhaust   -   ECV Valve   -   RS DMF + Clutch Kit   -   Bluefin Stage 2

Bluetooth + USB mod   -   Convers Mod   -   NX Mod

Sports Rear Diffuser   -   Sports Top Front Grill   -   Sports Bottom Front Grill   -   Sports Fog Lights   -   Sport Pedal Covers   -   Dark Ice Designs Auto Lift Boot Struts   -   Dark Ice Designs Bonnet Rams   -   Dark Ice Designs Short Shift Kit   -   Auto Mirror Mod   -   Interior LED Conversion   -   Nextbase 402 and 512 Dashcams

295bhp & 330ftlb of fun, but can still give 38mpg  :driving: 

#9 TreborB

TreborB

Powershifts Forever

• Members
  • 4726 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:BMW 320i M Sport
  • Name:TrevorB

Posted 14 January 2020 - 06:15 PM

POPULAR

Nick, I do think that is a bit of a wide statement you are making.

SGS are well known and have a great reputation - stuff is not "the same" wherever you go

Anyhow, hope you get things sorted

• nicam49 likes this

BMW 320i M Sport 2019 Mineral Grey, Steptronic 8 speed ZF Auto

( Sorry but NO 2.3 Ecoboost 8 Speed Auto Mondeo's to be found!)

Focus 2018 Mk3.5, 1 Litre Ecoboost 140ps ST Line, SYNC3 Sat Nav, Parking Sensors, Colour Magnetic - Gifted to the Wife! Then Sold Aug 2019

Mondeo Mk5 Titanium 2L Ecoboost 240ps, X Pack, Body Kit, Rear Spoiler, 19" Alloys, LED Headlamps, Sony 12 Spkr Audio, Park Assist, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, Magnetic, Built Sept 2015,Sold Oct 2018.

Mondeo TitaniumX Sport 240ps 2L Ecoboost Powershift 2011 - Sold 2016 But Never Forgotten.

2007 - 2010, 4 New Focus ST225s

#10 nicam49

nicam49

Little Megger

• Gold Member
  • 3730 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:16 PM

Thanks chaps! I'll see how it goes with the oil and O ring kit I've bought. That jack in the link at>£100 probably says it all:you get what you pay for at the end of the day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users