Leak! - V6 'Duratec' Petrol Engines (Mondeo Mk3) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Leak!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BomberHarris1976

BomberHarris1976

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo ST220
  • Name:Colin Harris

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:54 AM

Hi there, thanks for adding me to the group!
I’m really not very mechanically minded so here’s my problem.
I’ve got a 55 plate ST220 whip I’ve had for 8 years, it still brings a smile to my face every day.
I’ve noticed I’ve got water dripping from the felt behind the glove box into the footwell.
I’ve managed to remove the glove box and the water looks like it’s coming from the bottom of the bowl shaped unit marked Visteon Charlesville.
I have no manual and have idea what this is.
Can anyone help.
Thanks in advance.

#2 mondy zetecs

mondy zetecs

Clever Clauggs

• Members
  • 4208 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 2.5l v6 2002
  • Name:Harry

Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:14 AM

Probably pollen filter housing needs resealing 

https://talkford.com...-still-leaking/

Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost 2014

#3 Communist

Communist

Mk3 4 LYFE

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:2005 Mondeo 1.8
  • Name:Karl Marx

Posted 24 January 2020 - 10:26 PM

Ah, that was my thread!

I suggest if your leak is serious, that you remove the carpet and dry it out like I did. The mould never managed to establish itself because I acted quickly. Make sure you dry out the blower fan too. It's very easy to remove.

Essentially, the gist of that thread is that usually this leak is caused by water getting onto the pollen filter from it dropping down where the scuttle panel meets the windscreen. It's a poor design. One of the worst on the car in my opinion. Fortunately it can be fixed easily.

The scuttle pannel is supposed to clip into a removable plastic channel, however this doesn't really seal it tightly enough against the windscreen, and eventually it lifts up, so water runs down the screen, gets through the gap where the scuttle meets the windscreen, drops onto the pollen filter, soaks that, then comes into the car through the air vent.

In order to stop the leak, go and buy another pollen filter (since it will need changing anyway), and change it. Once you've done that, clip the scuttle panel down as best you can to the windscreen, and run a bead of sillicone right across the bottom of the windscreen where the plastic touches the glass. I did mine 4 years ago now and it's still sealed. You want some decent RTV sillicone stuff that cures. Don't use roofing sealant like I originally did.

Edited by Communist, 24 January 2020 - 10:53 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users