2008 Focus 2.0 TDCi - Blue Smoke :( - Mechanical (Mk2 Focus) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

2008 Focus 2.0 TDCi - Blue Smoke :(

blue smoke focus diesel

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CallumLE

CallumLE

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Ford Focus MK2 TDCI
  • Name:Callum

Posted 07 December 2019 - 02:55 PM

Hi all. I bought a new (to me) Focus which I love, but it comes with a problem. Well, actually it has a few which have surfaced, but the one which needs sorting is the cloud of blue smoke when cold. 

When I start the car in the morning or if it's been sat all day at work (so when it's cold) there is a large ploom of blue smoke which last around 20-30 seconds. The car often struggles to get started, requiring around 5 seconds of cranking and a bit of throttle. She then runs rough and sounds like a bag of spanners, but after 3-4 minutes of driving the idle smooths out. After this the car is a pleasure to drive and is very responsive but does - on rare occasions - lose throttle response, drop to around 500rpm then cut out. She also 'surges' and hesitates at lower speeds. 

My startup procedure is to turn the key and let the plugs warm up 20-30 seconds, then crank and start. I then leave the engine running a couple of minutes and pull off. This doesn't really seem to make a difference :(

Work so far has consisted of:

- A full service including new fuel filter

- Replacement glow plugs as all were reported as not working

- All new injectors as the ones in the car were reported as having faults

None of this work has changed anything so I'm obviously broken and gutted about the costs.

I know the car has had its DPF filter taken out and it has been remapped. No work has taken place to repair that, but surely this wouldn't cause problems? I know the garage that discovered this said there was a lot of "back pressure" in the exhaust?

#2 stonekeeper

stonekeeper

TF regular

• Members
  • 772 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo titanium x
  • Name:Mark

Posted 07 December 2019 - 03:13 PM

POPULAR

Blue smoke is usually Oil in the Combustion chambers

• CallumLE likes this

#3 CallumLE

CallumLE

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Ford Focus MK2 TDCI
  • Name:Callum

Posted 08 December 2019 - 08:42 PM

Blue smoke is usually Oil in the Combustion chambers

Thanks -- any idea of the typical means/ways oil can leak into the combustion process on these engines? Will need to know what to ask the garage to look. Guessing valve stems for a start?

Strange that none of the other garages I've taken it to with the problem have suggested this. One pointed out the missing DPF filter, the other went straight to injectors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users