Steering Bolt Failure: Official Response from DVLA - Drivetrain (Mk5 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Steering Bolt Failure: Official Response from DVLA

tsb recall corrosion rack failure

• Please log in to reply
243 replies to this topic

#1 malford

malford

Titanium X Pack

• Global Moderator
  • 1501 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Titanium X Pack

Posted 22 November 2019 - 12:33 PM

POPULAR

Case 31275 – Ford Mondeo Steering Rack

Dear Mr Bamford

Case 31275 – Ford Mondeo

Thank you for contacting DVSA regarding your Vehicle Defect Safety Report Case 31275 involving your concerns about the possible Electric Power Steering Rack motor detachment on your Ford Mondeo EO65 ***.

DVSA investigates safety defects within the terms of the Code of Practice on Vehicle Safety Defects (the Code), which has the support of the General Product Safety Regulations 2005 (as amended). Please find attached a copy of the Consumer’s Guide to Vehicle Safety Defects for your information.

The aim being to establish if the defect is a failure due to design and/or construction, which is likely to affect the safe operation of the product without prior warning to the user and may pose a significant risk to the driver, occupants and others. This defect will also be common to a number of products that have been sold for use in the United Kingdom.

DVSA have previously investigated this concern with the manufacturer, who has confirmed that in the event of a broken fastener(s) and in all circumstances, a mechanical steering system is maintained at all times enabling the driver to control the vehicle. Whilst it is evident that significant effort is needed to manouver the vehicle from standstill, once the vehicle is in motion and as speed increases, the effort needed to manouver is greatly reduced.

While the failure of the assisted system may be of surprise to the driver, the ability to safely steer the vehicle bringing it to a stop still remains. The manufacturer has confirmed the unassisted steering system fully meets type approval.

DVSA has concluded the failure of steering assistance does not meet the safety criteria as set out within the code of practice (copy attached) and will now close this case.

DVSA take all reports of vehicle safety defects seriously and continue to investigate all reports received. DVSA continue to press the manufacturer, in regards to concerns such as this and are still in discussions with them.

DVSA would like to thank you for raising this case with us.

Kind Regards Mark Hudson

Mark Hudson | Vehicle Defect Investigation & Market Surveillance Engineer
Vehicle Safety Branch & Market Surveillance Unit
Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency | Berkeley House, Croydon Street, Bristol, BS5 0DA
DVSA National Helpline 0300 123 9000
Main Office Email – [email protected]

DVSA_3298_DIGI_AW

Find out more about government services at

• Lord S-F likes this
2016 2.0 EcoBoost Titanium X Pack .. My 5th Mondeo
Turbosmart BOV
Eibach Pro Line
Bluefin
CP-e Intercooler
Blackvue DR650s-2CH

#2 malford

malford

Titanium X Pack

• Global Moderator
  • 1501 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 04:47 PM

Here is the original TSB notice for the American Fusion steering rack failure.

Sorry due to website upload limit of 1.95mb unable to upload PDF, sorry guys this is why many of us have changed platforms.

Turbosmart BOV
Eibach Pro Line
Bluefin
CP-e Intercooler
Blackvue DR650s-2CH

#3 TreborB

TreborB

8 gears or more please

• Members
  • 5263 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:BMW 320i M Sport
  • Name:TrevorB

Posted 22 November 2019 - 07:03 PM

POPULAR

This site is useless anyway - the problems that started with the operating system early October, as detailed in the Questions Suggestions Problems Section have still not been even acknowledged, let alone fixed by AG Admin. AG certainly the main cause of the death of this site.
Still can't get on the forum with windows 10 pc etc.
Hope ALL moderators on the site have contacted or attempted to contact AG - there must surely be a facility to do so
  • chriscatt and malford like this

BMW 320i M Sport 2019 Mineral Grey, Steptronic 8 speed ZF Auto

( Sorry but NO 2.3 Ecoboost 8 Speed Auto Mondeo's to be found!)

Focus 2018 Mk3.5, 1 Litre Ecoboost 140ps ST Line, SYNC3 Sat Nav, Parking Sensors, Colour Magnetic - Gifted to the Wife! Then Sold Aug 2019

Mondeo Mk5 Titanium 2L Ecoboost 240ps, X Pack, Body Kit, Rear Spoiler, 19" Alloys, LED Headlamps, Sony 12 Spkr Audio, Park Assist, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, Magnetic, Built Sept 2015,Sold Oct 2018.

Mondeo TitaniumX Sport 240ps 2L Ecoboost Powershift 2011 - Sold 2016 But Never Forgotten.

2007 - 2010, 4 New Focus ST225s

#4 malford

malford

Titanium X Pack

• Global Moderator
  • 1501 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 02:17 PM

POPULAR

I requested assistance from AG_Admin on the 22/11/19 and they haven't been online since 24/10/19

This is why people are not bothering with access issues and upload issues... people will just move on eventually.

• TreborB likes this
Turbosmart BOV
Eibach Pro Line
Bluefin
CP-e Intercooler
Blackvue DR650s-2CH

#5 Vlad Soare

Vlad Soare

Chatty Chap

• Members
  • 611 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:2016 Mondeo 2.0H
  • Name:Vlad Soare

Posted 28 November 2019 - 08:50 AM

Still can't get on the forum with windows 10 pc etc.

I can access and use the forum normally under Windows 10. There must be something wrong with your configuration - cookies, plug-ins, security settings, firewall, something like that. I'm using Chrome nowadays, but it used to work with Mozilla as well when I had it.

Edited by Vlad Soare, 28 November 2019 - 08:57 AM.

#6 TreborB

TreborB

8 gears or more please

• Members
  • 5263 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 09:33 AM

Hi Vlad, I don't think there is anything wrong with my pc.
It works perfect on everything else, forums etc.
I have changed nothing.
I have cleared cookies and cache etc.
I am not the only one of us that has this problem but all of us have not got identical problems.
It all went wrong early October when there was a problem with the licence.
AG posted they had fixed it Oct 24 but they haven't and they have not been back on the site to even check it, disgraceful.
No wonder the site is slowly dying.
Have you not read the long thread in the Questions, Suggestions, Problems section

Edited by TreborB, 28 November 2019 - 09:34 AM.

Focus 2018 Mk3.5, 1 Litre Ecoboost 140ps ST Line, SYNC3 Sat Nav, Parking Sensors, Colour Magnetic - Gifted to the Wife! Then Sold Aug 2019

Mondeo Mk5 Titanium 2L Ecoboost 240ps, X Pack, Body Kit, Rear Spoiler, 19" Alloys, LED Headlamps, Sony 12 Spkr Audio, Park Assist, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, Magnetic, Built Sept 2015,Sold Oct 2018.

Mondeo TitaniumX Sport 240ps 2L Ecoboost Powershift 2011 - Sold 2016 But Never Forgotten.

#7 KAZUYADOG

KAZUYADOG

I'm Bang Tidy

• Members
  • 9541 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:MONDEO 2.5T TIT X
  • Name:Mick

Posted 28 November 2019 - 07:05 PM

Which "forum" are you all flying off too ?

MY ST220 ON THE DYNO AT DREAMSCIENCE DREAMSCIENCE DYNO WITH POWER OUPUT

2006 Final Facelift ST220 in Stardust Silver - Owner is a Fan Boy.
Now with its very first MOT.Second MOT passed today 6-July-2010.
19" Arden Sportline Alloys (German Jaguar) - 20" MS Design Alloys (For Shows)
This BOY - Is pure Chaka Chaka and Bang Tidy.
Dreamscience 251 bhp 215 lbf.ft - Bluefin Stg Two 241 bhp 211 lbf.ft

#8 Vlad Soare

Vlad Soare

Chatty Chap

• Members
  • 611 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:2016 Mondeo 2.0H
  • Name:Vlad Soare

Posted 28 November 2019 - 07:06 PM

I remember the certificate problem in October. I used to get a warning that the site was not secure, because all the links in the forum defaulted to http. But it was just a warning; it didn't prevent me from using the site. And it wasn't operating system-dependent, because it happened both on Windows 10 and on macOS.

A few days later the warnings stopped, and everything went back to normal. I assumed the problem had been fixed and quickly forgot about it.

I don't know what the problem is, and why it only affects some users and not others. All I can tell you is that the computer I use at work is running Windows 10, and the site works fine on it. 

Edited by Vlad Soare, 28 November 2019 - 07:11 PM.

#9 TreborB

TreborB

8 gears or more please

• Members
  • 5263 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 08:28 PM

For example, on windows 10, chrome and Firefox, it says - "Secure connection failed, the page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the web owners site to inform them of this problem"

Purple LX, can you by any.chance move this and above appropriate posts across to the long thread that we have running so AG Admin can see more )if they come on the site!)

Edited by TreborB, 28 November 2019 - 08:31 PM.

#10 stonekeeper

stonekeeper

TF regular

• Members
  • 772 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo titanium x
  • Name:Mark

Posted 28 November 2019 - 08:49 PM

Case 31275 – Ford Mondeo Steering Rack

Dear Mr Bamford

Case 31275 – Ford Mondeo

Thank you for contacting DVSA regarding your Vehicle Defect Safety Report Case 31275 involving your concerns about the possible Electric Power Steering Rack motor detachment on your Ford Mondeo EO65 ***.

DVSA investigates safety defects within the terms of the Code of Practice on Vehicle Safety Defects (the Code), which has the support of the General Product Safety Regulations 2005 (as amended). Please find attached a copy of the Consumer’s Guide to Vehicle Safety Defects for your information.

The aim being to establish if the defect is a failure due to design and/or construction, which is likely to affect the safe operation of the product without prior warning to the user and may pose a significant risk to the driver, occupants and others. This defect will also be common to a number of products that have been sold for use in the United Kingdom.

DVSA have previously investigated this concern with the manufacturer, who has confirmed that in the event of a broken fastener(s) and in all circumstances, a mechanical steering system is maintained at all times enabling the driver to control the vehicle. Whilst it is evident that significant effort is needed to manouver the vehicle from standstill, once the vehicle is in motion and as speed increases, the effort needed to manouver is greatly reduced.

While the failure of the assisted system may be of surprise to the driver, the ability to safely steer the vehicle bringing it to a stop still remains. The manufacturer has confirmed the unassisted steering system fully meets type approval.

DVSA has concluded the failure of steering assistance does not meet the safety criteria as set out within the code of practice (copy attached) and will now close this case.

DVSA take all reports of vehicle safety defects seriously and continue to investigate all reports received. DVSA continue to press the manufacturer, in regards to concerns such as this and are still in discussions with them.

DVSA would like to thank you for raising this case with us.

Kind Regards Mark Hudson

Mark Hudson | Vehicle Defect Investigation & Market Surveillance Engineer
Vehicle Safety Branch & Market Surveillance Unit
Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency | Berkeley House, Croydon Street, Bristol, BS5 0DA
DVSA National Helpline 0300 123 9000
Main Office Email – [email protected]

DVSA_3298_DIGI_AW

Find out more about government services at

Here is the original TSB notice for the American Fusion steering rack failure.

Sorry due to website upload limit of 1.95mb unable to upload PDF, sorry guys this is why many of us have changed platforms.

The DVSA reply suggests the defect results in the same experience as having a power steering pump belt snapping.?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tsb, recall, corrosion, rack failure

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)