Automatic handbrake on automatic gearbox - Focus Mk4 Electrical - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Automatic handbrake on automatic gearbox

3 replies to this topic

#1 Alex.S

Alex.S

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Focus
  • Name:Alex

Posted 30 October 2019 - 11:27 AM

Anyone with an auto focus , when are you engaging the handbrake?
Stop/start stops the engine, I press the ignition button..turns the ignition off and puts it in Park. That’s where I turn on the handbrake.
There’s not really any other way to do it.
My concern is that it’ll flatten the battery. My previous car was a 2010 manual Astra, didn’t have stop/start . I engaged the handbrake with the engine ON every time.
Seems the manual focus turns the electric handbrake on automatically.
Not the auto.

#2 MK123

MK123

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 08:09 PM

I have a 1ltr auto and usually do the same, although sometimes it automatically applies the parking break when I switch the engine off e.g. when parked on a hill. When stopped at lights, etc I tend to rely on the auto hold feature. Sadly stop/start has never worked for me in the five or so months that I’ve owned the car and this could be due to some kind of drain on the battery not helped by the short and infrequent journeys, which also seems to effect the keyless entry. There is plenty of discussion on this on one of the German forums.

#3 ianincheshire

ianincheshire

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 02:40 PM

I have a 1ltr auto and usually do the same, although sometimes it automatically applies the parking break when I switch the engine off e.g. when parked on a hill. When stopped at lights, etc I tend to rely on the auto hold feature.

If auto hold has activated when you stop, then the parking brake will apply automatically when the ignition is switched off

#4 MK123

MK123

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 06:26 PM

To be honest I’m not sure, but I suspect not as I vaguely recall in the handbook it saying that when leaving the car make sure the parking break is on by checking the red break light on the instrument panel. Before leaving the car I always check if this light is illuminated and if it isn’t then I press/pull the parking break button. Auto hold has a different light. I wouldn’t risk leaving the car without checking this first, especially as I often to park on a gradient.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users