Has anyone done an oil change themselves. - Diesel Engines (Mk5 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Has anyone done an oil change themselves.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ericthecat

ericthecat

Little Megger

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:MK5 Mondeo Tit 2.0

Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:21 AM

I recently changed the oil on my car and have a couple of questions.

How tight was your oil filter to remove, mine was ridiculously tight.  Infact the guy at the parts department even told me it had to be that tight because of the vibrations causing them to come loose.

When I removed the undertray to access the sump there was some kind of rubber breather pipe just lay on top of the tray connected near the oil filter.  The thing is though, because this pipe just lies on the tray, which is obviously lower than the pipe, it causes a kink in the pipe.

Should the other end be connected to somewhere else and has just fallen down ?

Has anyone seen this ?

I've got a picture that may help.

Breather Pipe.jpg

Edited by ericthecat, 17 September 2019 - 10:26 AM.

2015 2.0L Mondeo Titanium, Magnetic

#2 ojobson

ojobson

Megger

• Gold Member
  • 730 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo mk5 TDCi 150

Posted 20 September 2019 - 08:00 AM

Yeah my oil filter was also on very tight. I used a rubber strap handled thing to help remove it, but it was not easy.

Out of interest, what oil did you use?

Didn't spot the hose you speak of. Where is the other end of the pipe connected to? Are you sure it is a breather?Engine breather hoses usually go to the air intake in order to reduce emissions.

Mondeo Mk5 | TDCI 150 Titanium 2015 | 46k miles

Mondeo Mk3 | TDCI 130 LX | 2005 | 230k miles - SOLD  :)

C-Max Mk1 | 1.8 Duratec HE Ghia | 2006 | 140 k miles - RIP

#3 ericthecat

ericthecat

Little Megger

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:MK5 Mondeo Tit 2.0

Posted 20 September 2019 - 04:09 PM

Yeah my oil filter was also on very tight. I used a rubber strap handled thing to help remove it, but it was not easy.

Out of interest, what oil did you use?

Didn't spot the hose you speak of. Where is the other end of the pipe connected to? Are you sure it is a breather?Engine breather hoses usually go to the air intake in order to reduce emissions.

I got the oil from a Ford Dealer, it's Castrol Magnatec Professional  D 0w 30.  It was £44 for 7 litres, not bad considering the dealer I bought the car from quoted me £55 +VAT for 5 litres, so it's worth checking other dealers out.  In my case it was worth the 30 minute round trip.

The pipe was only connected at the bottom where you can see, that is just a hole in the moulding, which would suggest the other end has come from somewhere at the top of the engine, and just fallen on to the undertray as that's where it was lying when I took it off.  The pipe/tube is soft rubber and about 16 inches in length.

Edited by ericthecat, 20 September 2019 - 04:11 PM.

2015 2.0L Mondeo Titanium, Magnetic

#4 ojobson

ojobson

Megger

• Gold Member
  • 730 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo mk5 TDCi 150

Posted 27 September 2019 - 02:14 PM

Castrol Magnatec Professional  D 0w 30.  It was £44 for 7 litres,

The pipe was only connected at the bottom where you can see, that is just a hole in the moulding, which would suggest the other end has come from somewhere at the top of the engine, and just fallen on to the undertray as that's where it was lying when I took it off.  The pipe/tube is soft rubber and about 16 inches in length.

That's a fair price. I've switched to shell oils recently as they do one that matches the new ford spec.

Anywho.. no idea on the pipe! Not about to start looking in this rain either I'm afraid!

Mondeo Mk5 | TDCI 150 Titanium 2015 | 46k miles

Mondeo Mk3 | TDCI 130 LX | 2005 | 230k miles - SOLD  :)

C-Max Mk1 | 1.8 Duratec HE Ghia | 2006 | 140 k miles - RIP

#5 messed up

messed up

Little Megger

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:mk 5 mondeo
  • Name:craig

Posted 23 March 2020 - 03:00 AM

that pipe is connected to the diesel fuel filter housing, 

fuel pipe..JPG

water evaporator I think.