Passenger Door locked and cannot open manually or with key - Security / Safety (Mk3 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Passenger Door locked and cannot open manually or with key

locking security door

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ghiaxboy

Ghiaxboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Ghia X TDCI
  • Name:Rob Sirett

Posted 10 September 2019 - 01:08 PM

Some help please. The passenger door on my Mk3 will not unlock, I have tried the key numerous times as well as the lock and handle ‘lugs / handles’ inside the passenger door. All other doors lock and unlock with the key and lock by using the drivers door lock (when sat inside). I imagine that I need the passenger door open to get at whatever is inside that is faulty but cannot do that, is there any way I can get the door to unlock so I can get the actuator(?) replaced? As it stands I can’t carry a passenger and I suspect this is an MOT failure. Any tricks to get the door open is appreciated. Thanks.

#2 PURPLE_2L_LX

PURPLE_2L_LX

Mk3 Forum Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 28864 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:MK4.5 TDCI 140

Posted 12 September 2019 - 01:22 AM

Tried the key as in the physical key in the drivers door lock or the remote?

No key on the passenger door.

Choices remove the door card as carefully as you can so you can reuse it or remove the screws

for the handles etc and rip the panel off and buy a replacement.

Do the doors deadlock or only single lock?

Fixes will depend on whether its a seized handle or its deadlocked

Operate the locking tab on the door as you unlock it with the remote key.

MK4.5 TDCI 140 Business Estate.

MK3 FUSE INFO CLICK HERE ... FORD WIKI CLICK HERE .... FORD ETIS CLICK HERE

Adding your location may find someone local who could offer assistance.

F-Super, Bluetooth OBDII (ELM) and a MS509 scanners (test subjects required).

ForDiag now available to victims.

#3 Rekusu

Rekusu

Megger

• Members
  • 2077 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk3 Mondeo, TDCI

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:02 AM

As Purple above says, it will probably involve getting inside the door by removing the card and carefully removing the weather shield lining.

I have found that a very sharp knife (I used a scalpel) cuts the bitumen sealer quite cleanly without sticking to the blade.  Work slowly, and you will not damage the lining.  It is not necessary to remove the whole lining, just the top half as that is where the door lock / opening mechanism resides. Just be aware, the black bitumen sticks to everything like the proverbial and will not wash off the sleeve of your three piece business suit.

The lock and interior  handle are all part of the same unit.  Not difficult to remove (replace) and there are plenty of guides on the net.  One screw accessed from the end of the door by removing a plastic cover and one inside holding a nylon thing, allows the exterior handle to be removed.  The whole mechanism is held on by three torx screws, also on the end of the door. 

Removing the inside handle is a bit tricky and easy to break something.  There is an obvious screw holding a plate, that holds the handle / shroud in place; remove it.  But the handle will not come off????  I broke the first so learnt from experience!!!  The handle is held in place by a plastic 'circlip' behind the handle shroud.  The spindle part is on the door, the 'circlip' is part of the shroud moulding, on the back, so not visible.

Tap the handle shroud toward the hinge and the 'circlip' will release.  Don't do what I did; try to lever it off!!!!

DSCF3920 (Medium).JPG

DSCF3923 (Medium).JPG

Now the entire opening / lock mechanism is free to remove. 

What if the Hokey Cokey IS what it's all about?

#4 PURPLE_2L_LX

PURPLE_2L_LX

Mk3 Forum Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 28864 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:MK4.5 TDCI 140

Posted 12 September 2019 - 03:41 PM

Inside my shed is covered with that black stuff. Where to put the lining? I thought stick it

to the metal door... mistake.

Kept catching it and now everything has black sticky residue on it..  Evil stuff :)

MK4.5 TDCI 140 Business Estate.

MK3 FUSE INFO CLICK HERE ... FORD WIKI CLICK HERE .... FORD ETIS CLICK HERE

Adding your location may find someone local who could offer assistance.

F-Super, Bluetooth OBDII (ELM) and a MS509 scanners (test subjects required).

ForDiag now available to victims.

#5 Ghiaxboy

Ghiaxboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Ghia X TDCI
  • Name:Rob Sirett

Posted 19 September 2019 - 01:03 PM

Update - The passenger door opened with the fob one morning saving any forced entry (thankfully). The latch assembly was replaced with a secondhand unit off eBay for £35.00 as Ford wanted £179.00 for a new unit!!. I got a local auto electrician to do the work as I had no time. Hopefully all now solved. Thanks all for the help.

#6 gratom

gratom

Little Megger

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 06:07 AM

what did you do differently for the door to open? I'm having the same issue, I've cut my door card so i can get to the mechanism but can't seem to do anything to get it to open, i bought a used door lock mechanism and cut out my wiring and put the replacement locking multiplug so i know that's working, it's doing my head in that i cannot get the passenger door open

#7 Communist

Communist

Mk3 4 LYFE

• Members
  • 320 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:2005 Mondeo 1.8
  • Name:Karl Marx

Posted 09 August 2020 - 07:45 PM

Sounds like sheer luck in their case.

You've got to break open the latch. Undo the screws on it and prise at it with a screwdriver. You'll probably snap the plastic. On the inside is a small white plastic disc, if you rotate that with your finger you should be able to get the door to unlock. The disc will be facing away from you, so a mirror or a small camera will come in handy.

I did this on a Jaguar X type rear door fairly recently, which is the same latch as a Mondeo, but it might be slightly different on a front door compared to a rear.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users