Dreaded Amber Spanner - Diesel Engines (Mk5 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Dreaded Amber Spanner

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 tryanything

tryanything

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Mk 5 Estate

Posted 04 July 2019 - 05:14 PM

Hi Colleagues!

Since purchasing the Duratorq 180 PS Titanium 15 plate estate in March, I've encountered transient appearances of the "Amber Spanner - see manual - Power Train" problem.

Two questions please.

1. The genuinely helpful Dealer Service Department has told me that, as the warning disappears after switching off the "ignition" and restarting via the keyless button, the CPU will not store a readable code. They voluntarily reset the system as a benchmark stating point.

Is this correct, or would a "Fault History" be stored, to allow analysis without the error being present at the time?

2. I've started a diligent record of events, and have so far pretty much confirmed the following:

Only occurs after a long quiescent period (overnight or all day parked).

Will only happen early in any journey (say, within the first 10 minutes).

Appears to be directly associated with engine braking (usually in third) - Engine overrun.

So, start out, early in trip run down from 50 to 30 on approach to urban area using third gear braking, spanner appears. Off and on with ignition, no spanner, and none for the rest of the journey, even with subsequent third gear braking.

So I'm thinking a combination of engine temperature, fairly high engine revs with no throttle and so on. I rather think "Power Train" might be the bucket into which all kinds of errors might be poured.

Has anyone any thoughts on either question, please?

Many thanks in anticipation,

All the best,

Alan.

#2 TreborB

TreborB

8 gears or more please

• Members
  • 5324 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:BMW 320i M Sport
  • Name:TrevorB

Posted 04 July 2019 - 05:24 PM

Hi Alan, I am not a diesel man, so please don't let me throw you off course.
The only thing I will say is, because I "follow autos", we had a number of autos go into limp mode or warning light came on on early cars, mainly 15 plate, and in all cases it was not a fault in the trans but always a faulty egr valve

BMW 320i M Sport 2019 Mineral Grey, Steptronic 8 speed ZF Auto

( Sorry but NO 2.3 Ecoboost 8 Speed Auto Mondeo's to be found!)

Focus 2018 Mk3.5, 1 Litre Ecoboost 140ps ST Line, SYNC3 Sat Nav, Parking Sensors, Colour Magnetic - Gifted to the Wife! Then Sold Aug 2019

Mondeo Mk5 Titanium 2L Ecoboost 240ps, X Pack, Body Kit, Rear Spoiler, 19" Alloys, LED Headlamps, Sony 12 Spkr Audio, Park Assist, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, Magnetic, Built Sept 2015,Sold Oct 2018.

Mondeo TitaniumX Sport 240ps 2L Ecoboost Powershift 2011 - Sold 2016 But Never Forgotten.

2007 - 2010, 4 New Focus ST225s

#3 tryanything

tryanything

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 08:05 PM

Ahhh. Trevor, that would fit pretty well the symptoms I describe. maybe the sensor thinks its faulty, or maybe it demonstrates the problem only in those specific circumstances. Thanks for this! Alan.

#4 TreborB

TreborB

8 gears or more please

• Members
  • 5324 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 08:56 PM

Ok Alan, please let us know how you go on.

The prob I mention about autos going into limp mode when it was caused by egr valve (thank god) are mentioned in the drivetrain section I believe

Focus 2018 Mk3.5, 1 Litre Ecoboost 140ps ST Line, SYNC3 Sat Nav, Parking Sensors, Colour Magnetic - Gifted to the Wife! Then Sold Aug 2019

Mondeo Mk5 Titanium 2L Ecoboost 240ps, X Pack, Body Kit, Rear Spoiler, 19" Alloys, LED Headlamps, Sony 12 Spkr Audio, Park Assist, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, Magnetic, Built Sept 2015,Sold Oct 2018.

Mondeo TitaniumX Sport 240ps 2L Ecoboost Powershift 2011 - Sold 2016 But Never Forgotten.

#5 tryanything

tryanything

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 04:22 PM

Very many thanks, again, Trevor, and apologies for failing to navigate the site correctly to post this in Drive Train.

Perhaps the moderator can shift...

I totally get the entries in Drive Train associated with strange behaviour of "autos" with the EGR issue. As I see it, the auto gets fed up trying to cope with the outrageous behaviour of its parent engine, so throws up its own arms with a despairing error code.

I have already pinged the Service Department with the intention of attacking with the two stage plan:

1. See if my Power Train Module has been uploaded the EGR software fix.

2. If it has, then open the purchased warranty can of worms to see if that will fund a transient problem fix.

Cheers, Alan. 

#6 TreborB

TreborB

8 gears or more please

• Members
  • 5324 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 06:30 PM

Hi Alan

No, I did not mean that you had posted your concern in the wrong section - where it is, is correct.

I was just saying that you could read about egr probs in the drivetrain section as posters initially thought they had auto trans probs due to their vehs auto trans going into limp mode

Best of luck with the dealer

#7 tryanything

tryanything

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 10:08 AM

POPULAR

Update.

On a recent journey, I experienced three successive Spanner errors (one only per journey previously) PLUS an Engine error display for the first time ("...if it remains lit, it is an emissions problem..."). Engine error disappeared after a stop on the return trip.

Booked the car in.

All credit to the Dealer Service Team, a genuine hour and a quarter spent in between the bay and out on the road running diagnostics. Nil charge on the back of the initial report being within the free 3 month warranty period.

They reported no EML (The Engine Management Lamp was not lit), which is correct.

They reported TWO DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes):

1. Air Flow. Investigation found that the air filter hose clip was not secured, thus air was being drawn in outside of the unit. Interesting, as the Spanner and engine errors may be related to combustion which I reckon relies on measurement of air.

2. A battery code. They tested the battery, which was fine, then re-set the battery monitor and found the voltage was stabilised.

After a final test run, no repeat codes were thrown up.

We shall see... I'll advise either way!

Cheers for now, Alan.

• TreborB likes this

#8 Thingy

Thingy

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 1.5 TDCI 2016
  • Name:Robert Simpson

Posted 22 July 2019 - 04:01 PM

Reading this with great interest from a hotel room in middle of France. Our 2016 1.5 tdci Duratorq Mondeo estate (Titanium), which has 32000 miles on it just went into limp mode for the last 20 miles of our 350 mile motorway trip today.

The amber spanner “powertrain warning” light came on. Pressed “0k” but small spanner still showing and car stayed in limp mode. It is very hot here, about 36c, have had air con all day pretty much. We filled up from a 1/4 full tank up to full about 30 miles before any issues arose. I guess we will have to try to find a French Ford dealer in nearest city, Angouleme, tomorrow. Letting car cool down now, will go and restart soon and see if same fault light still showing. Could it be heat related? If it has disappeared, do u think it is ok to continue if we keep an eye on it?

We only got the car in feb, the service history showed oil and filter changed at 30500 miles

#9 tryanything

tryanything

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 09:25 AM

POPULAR

Update on the original Dreaded Amber Spanner.

Post the attention by the Dealer's Service Team there has been NO reoccurrence of the Spanner, or for that matter, the Engine symbol.

A full week since it's return, no errors - (Note 1).

I am impressed with the diagnostic skills shown by the technician, starting with a belief that the Customer actually had a problem, though none visible as dashboard icons at time of test.

The actions of uncovering the DTCs, flogging through until possible causes found, then attempting to reproduce errors after fixing are to be commended.

I'll give it another week, then report back in here, and, if still no errors, I'll "close" my end of the thread with "Spanner caused by loose clip air cleaner to engine allowing air to be drawn in where not expected"... and, independently, give the Service outfit a decent review.

Note 1. In an act of pure playfulness, as the system was unable to generate a genuine error, it did, nonetheless, choose to ping me!

"Driver Fatigue Warning - advise to take a break", or something like that. Ten minutes into a journey at a really wide-awake 08:30...

Standby for (hopefully) a final,

Cheers, Alan.

• TreborB likes this

#10 TreborB

TreborB

8 gears or more please

• Members
  • 5324 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 01:43 PM

Thanks for the update. Good stuff. Hope it is now ok.
Ha, yes, that driver fatigue thing is a bit of a Mish mash!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users