Is it feasible, or even worth bothering, to change single exhaust to dual? - V6 'Duratec' Petrol Engines (Mondeo Mk3) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Is it feasible, or even worth bothering, to change single exhaust to dual?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cantfixwontfix

cantfixwontfix

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:mk3 mondeo v6
  • Name:Ted

Posted 05 May 2019 - 03:16 PM

POPULAR

I've got a 2001 mk3 2.5 v6, a Ghia X that I bought about 8 years ago. I've always felt that, while it has a single exhaust, it would just look and probably sound better with two. I don't want it to sound like an angry bee stuck in a megaphone like a lot of these boy racers seem to like with their 1.2 litre corsas, but rather if it had a nice warble to it like for instance the v6 jag of the same period. Would I be able to achieve that in a feasible way with the car in 2019?

• Macmondy3L likes this

#2 PURPLE_2L_LX

PURPLE_2L_LX

Mk3 Forum Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 29204 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:MK4.5 TDCI 140

Posted 05 May 2019 - 06:13 PM

POPULAR

Yes you can convert it. Off the shelf parts or a custom exhaust where they make it to your requirements.

Want it quieter they will make the boxes a little bigger or add more packing.

• Macmondy3L likes this

MK4.5 TDCI 140 Business Estate.

MK3 FUSE INFO CLICK HERE ... FORD WIKI CLICK HERE .... FORD ETIS CLICK HERE

Adding your location may find someone local who could offer assistance.

F-Super, Bluetooth OBDII (ELM) and a MS509 scanners (test subjects required).

ForDiag now available to victims.

#3 raynkar

raynkar

Dash cams, catch 'em out :)

• Members
  • 12949 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 May 2019 - 06:25 PM

POPULAR

Yes, it’s very simple to convert to twin exit exhaust, you also have a few options on how you do it :)

Achieving a different sound, perhaps with a warble will cost more money than simply fitting an extra tail pipe.

Adding a second tail pipe involves removing a black plastic trim under the car where the second rear silencer would go, adding an exhaust hanger bracket and cutting your rear bumper to suit. You can buy genuine Ford exhaust hanger brackets, aftermarket brackets or make your own. The last one I fitted I made myself, but I welded it to the car. If you don’t have access to welding gear you could use an aftermarket or bolt on bracket.

Depending on how much you want to spend you could cut your existing bumper for twin pipes, or fit an ST220 rear bumper.

Genuine or aftermarket rear exhaust sections are available that could be bolted into your existing exhaust system with the join near the fuel tank.

To get a nicer sound you would need to ideally fit an aftermarket stainless middle and rear end. This will obviously be more expensive than a normal steel set up.
  • Macmondy3L likes this
You can put your vehicle info at the bottom of your posts to give details to help others know what you drive :)

#4 cantfixwontfix

cantfixwontfix

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:mk3 mondeo v6
  • Name:Ted

Posted 30 August 2019 - 04:38 PM

POPULAR

Good info, thanks. Not too bothered about the rear bumper modification as I'd be just as happy having twin exits that pointed down like the existing single exit does right now. Would ultimately like to replace the whole back section but perhaps nothing else, currently it looks as though the pipe comes off the main cat, goes into a silencer, then goes into another silencer on the rear nearside, which then winds round and goes into the final silencer and then exhaust exit on the offside:

g002164812.png

Would be nice to have that back section replaced with something like this (excuse the crude ms paint concoction):

Untitled.png

Might be too noisy if I got rid or replace the central silencer. Not sure. Probably won't pass emissions on mot if I decat it based on what I've read.

Edited by cantfixwontfix, 30 August 2019 - 04:39 PM.

• Macmondy3L likes this

#5 Macmondy3L

Macmondy3L

TF regular

• Members
  • 1364 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 10:59 AM

Back in 07 i bought a 2.5 v6 mondeo ghia x with a single shooter..took it down to demon tweeks in North wales and they fitted a lovely scorpion dual exit..
Totally changed...so ruddy adictive especially on overun..used to pop nicely
they even did a nice job on the bumper as it needed a little trim for the second exit..
Definatley worth doing. ..

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users