Multifunction column switch failed...again - Ford Fiesta Mk4 / Mk5 Forum - (1995-2002) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Multifunction column switch failed...again

multifunction column switch side lights sidelights

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 speedhunter1992

speedhunter1992

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:1996 Fiesta 1.25 LX
  • Name:Josh

Posted 23 April 2019 - 01:09 PM

Hi all,

Last December I had a problem where none of the following were working: sidelights, taillights, lights on warning buzzer, instrument lights, back-lighting of fascia switches, rear fog light.

I studied the wiring diagrams in the Haynes manual and deduced that the source of the problem was the sidelight/dipped beam switch at the end of the left-hand steering column stalk. This was confirmed by unplugging the wiring connector from the left-hand multifunction switch and connecting the relevant wires together to bypass the switch - when this was done, all of the above features (which rely on the sidelight switch being on to work) worked as normal.

I purchased a brand new genuine Ford multifunction column switch, and all has been well until last night when the same symptoms as last time appeared. Now, have I just had bad luck with the new multifunction switch, or could there be a fault somewhere else which is causing the sidelight switch to fail prematurely?

FYI, my Fiesta is an LX built December 1996 and doesn't have headlamp levelling. Instead it has dim-dip, whereby relays switch the dipped beam bulbs on at a lower voltage when the sidelights are switched on. Previous to me replacing the multifunction switch in December the dim dipped headlights would always turn on simultaneously, but since then there has always been a visible delay between each light coming on, a bit like vacuum-operated pop-up headlights when vacuum is too weak to lift both simultaneously. Could a relay in the dim-dip circuit be on it's way out? I don't have much of a head for electrics so I'm kinda in the dark here (literally and metaphorically!) Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh

1996 Fiesta 1.25 LX 5-door, Radiant Red

1999 Fiesta 1.3 Finesse 3-door, Moondust Silver

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: multifunction, column, switch, side, lights, sidelights

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users