Hanging pipe/cable near exhaust - Exhausts / Induction (Mk3 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Hanging pipe/cable near exhaust

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 leeho

leeho

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 2.2 TDCI mk3

Posted 18 March 2019 - 07:28 PM

Hi everyone

I have a 54 plate 2.2 TDCI Mondeo mk3 and have just noticed a hanging.. something.  Can you take a look at the photo and let me know what this is?  It's already scuffed at the bottom as we live somewhere where there's those square traffic calming blocks in the middle of the road - you know the ones, you can aim to have both wheels either side of it to pretty much miss it but it pokes up and that may be what's scraping it.  It's gone through the black plastic outer shell so I guess it's a cable and not a pipe.

I was going to poke it temporarily on top of the exhaust to keep it out of the way but I don't want it melting from the heat of the exhaust so I need to know what it is.  Your help is appreciated.

I had to link to this site because the file is too big - https://imgur.com/a/T3XYOeh

#2 Mondygeek

Mondygeek

dont listen to me, you'll have horsepower and no money

• Members
  • 3191 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo mk3 (54) tdci
  • Name:Ben

Posted 18 March 2019 - 08:19 PM

It's just the handbrake cable. These do tend to hang down. There are clips on the trailing arms but these don't tend to be very strong. I've cable tied mine to trailing arm

#3 leeho

leeho

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 2.2 TDCI mk3

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:10 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated.  Wasn't happy not know what it was if the other half was taking the kids to school in the morning.

I've cable tied it to the plastic bit that seems sturdy enough.  Could be where it's snapped off from but the plastic end that's still on the cable won't move up far enough because the cable widens at one point.  If this holds, great, if not, I can't see where else I'd attach it. 

Photo of handy work is https://imgur.com/a/pFRvbz3

Actually, as an afterthought, because the plastic outer has been worn through, will that fail the next MOT?  If I wrap some duct tape around it to obscure it, will that pass as they won't know why it's there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users