Ford Automobiles Forum banner

Soft and spongy feel to brake pedal

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  PURPLE_2L_LX 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
After a rough stop to this side of the road, I noticed my brakes seem spongy. I recently had all my brake pads replaced and An inspection done at the Ford dealer and was told that my brake cylinder master is leaking. After some YouTube investigation, I have found out that possibly the ABS controlling cylinders could also be the problem. Does anyone have any insights as to the most common failure to fix. I have 60,000 miles on this vehicle. I was thinking that the rough exit off the side of the road might have damaged the brake lines, but the inspection did not show any brake fluid leakage nor have I seen any in the parking garage.
After a rough stop to this side of the road, I noticed my brakes seem spongy. I recently had all my brake pads replaced and An inspection done at the Ford dealer and was told that my brake cylinder master is leaking. After some YouTube investigation, I have found out that possibly the ABS controlling cylinders could also be the problem. Does anyone have any insights as to the most common failure to fix. I have 60,000 miles on this vehicle. I was thinking that the rough exit off the side of the road might have damaged the brake lines, but the inspection did not show any brake fluid leakage nor have I seen any in the parking garage. This problem is on the 2010 escape xlt 2wd

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
When a Brake master cylinder leaks it doesn't mean the fluid gets out onto the drive, (unless the level is dropping in the reservoir )

Leaking will probably mean that the rubber on the piston that applies the brakes when the brakes are applied is allowing fluid back past it into the reservoir.

Resulting in no fluid loss but less effective braking.

There is usually a kit of rubbers and seals available or you can buy a refurbished unit

Here is an example of how to do it yourself. (walking the dogs in between is not compulsory)

After replacing you would then need to go on to bleeding the braking system which is covered in the video after it which shows how to just swap the unit.

#5 ·
So, after replacing the master cylinder twice in a year, my brakes suddenly are soft again. It happened suddenly after going over a deep gutter in the intersection. I am at a loss as to why this is happening. Is there some questions I should be asking the Ford dealer? I am sure this master cylinder is under warranted , but I’m tired of having to replace it.

#6 ·
Clamp the flexi pipes to each wheel and see if the pedal is rock hard. You may want to pump the brake until all the
air is out of the servo so the servo action does not hinder the test.

Connection from the resevoir to the master cylinder secure? Possibly one of those silly push fit connectors. Seen a video
where they had an issue with a piece of the o'ring stuck in the pipework.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.