Soft and spongy feel to brake pedal - Ford Escape Forum - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Soft and spongy feel to brake pedal

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jhollwedel

jhollwedel

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Five Hundred

Posted 09 February 2019 - 05:52 PM

After a rough stop to this side of the road, I noticed my brakes seem spongy. I recently had all my brake pads replaced and An inspection done at the Ford dealer and was told that my brake cylinder master is leaking. After some YouTube investigation, I have found out that possibly the ABS controlling cylinders could also be the problem. Does anyone have any insights as to the most common failure to fix. I have 60,000 miles on this vehicle. I was thinking that the rough exit off the side of the road might have damaged the brake lines, but the inspection did not show any brake fluid leakage nor have I seen any in the parking garage.

After a rough stop to this side of the road, I noticed my brakes seem spongy. I recently had all my brake pads replaced and An inspection done at the Ford dealer and was told that my brake cylinder master is leaking. After some YouTube investigation, I have found out that possibly the ABS controlling cylinders could also be the problem. Does anyone have any insights as to the most common failure to fix. I have 60,000 miles on this vehicle. I was thinking that the rough exit off the side of the road might have damaged the brake lines, but the inspection did not show any brake fluid leakage nor have I seen any in the parking garage. This problem is on the 2010 escape xlt 2wd

Edited by jhollwedel, 09 February 2019 - 06:04 PM.

#2 stonekeeper

stonekeeper

TF regular

• Members
  • 603 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo titanium x
  • Name:Mark

Posted 09 February 2019 - 06:29 PM

When a Brake master cylinder leaks it doesn't mean the fluid gets out onto the drive, (unless the level is dropping in the reservoir )

Leaking will probably mean that the rubber on the piston that applies the brakes when the brakes are applied is allowing fluid back past it into the reservoir.

Resulting in no fluid loss but less effective braking.

There is usually a kit of rubbers and seals available or you can buy a refurbished unit

Here is an example of how to do it yourself. (walking the dogs in between is not compulsory)

After replacing you would then need to go on to bleeding the braking system which is covered  in the video after it which shows how to just swap the unit.

Edited by stonekeeper, 09 February 2019 - 06:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users