Ford Fiesta Mark 2 Buying Advice Needed - Ford Fiesta Mk1 / Mk2 / Mk3 Forum - (1976-1995) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Ford Fiesta Mark 2 Buying Advice Needed

fiesta mk2 classic mk2 xr2 1.1 popular plus buying advice

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dillsagoo

Dillsagoo

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Name:Dill

Posted 27 December 2018 - 10:37 PM

Hi all,

I’m Dill, I’m new to the forum so apologies if this thread is in the wrong area.

So I’m looking for buy my first car after a number of years. I’ve been looking at the Fiesta Mark 2 1.1 Popular Plus. For me I’d like it more for the nostalgic reasons (my old dear use to have one when I was a kid, in red!), which is why I’m not too bothered about buying an XR2 or any of the quicker, sportier variants.

I was wondering any words of wisdom you guys could give me on this. Anything I should look out for in particular? What is a sensible price to pay for something like a good condition 1.1 (I want to avoid being ripped off) and any other general info you could give me.

A massive thank you to you all in advance

#2 PURPLE_2L_LX

PURPLE_2L_LX

Mk3 Forum Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 28617 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:MK4.5 TDCI 140

Posted 27 December 2018 - 10:42 PM

POPULAR

Rust, Rust, Rust and even more Rust........  At 30 years old its going to need

going over with a good eye and a magnet. Watch out for bodged jobs with lots

of filler and shiny paint.

Mechanicals are cheap and easy, Rust is not so easy.

• stonekeeper likes this

MK4.5 TDCI 140 Business Estate.

MK3 FUSE INFO CLICK HERE ... FORD WIKI CLICK HERE .... FORD ETIS CLICK HERE

Adding your location may find someone local who could offer assistance.

F-Super, Bluetooth OBDII (ELM) and a MS509 scanners (test subjects required).

ForDiag now available to victims.

#3 turbopete1

turbopete1

TF regular

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:mk4 mondeo zetec
  • Name:Peter

Posted 29 December 2018 - 03:38 PM

as above. and rarity. only the XR2s seem to have survived in any real numbers. even the 1.4S is like hens teeth in a pile of rocking horse manure!

rust will now be VERY expensive (labour wise) to fix unless you can do it yourself. im sure theres plenty of parts available as theres a lot of XR2s still kicking around.

personally id LOVE a mk3 1.6S (the first non scrap car i ever drove, aged 13) for nostalgias sake but again, finding them are rare (and they also rot well)

as for the mk2, well they rot out pretty much everywhere. boot floors, wheelarches (outer and inner) sills (inner and outer) chassis legs, footwells/floorpans, front wings, door bottoms, front panel/crossmember, bonnet leading edge, windscreen surrounds, sunroof surrounds (where fitted) in fact im struggling to think of somewhere i HAVENT seen a mk2 rotted out, and the mk2 was 8 years old MAX when i started in the dealers i worked at. most ended up scrapped (due to cost of welding them up) by around 10 years old. there were a handful of exceptions, but not many (except XR2s etc)

#4 Dillsagoo

Dillsagoo

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 10:30 AM

Hi all,

Many thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

I understand that the rust is a big issue with the mark 2’s. The one that I’ll looking to buy in a couple of weeks just passed it’s MOT, and has been looked after for much of its life. It’s a 1.1 popular plus in white.

Unfortunately I don’t have a garage, therefore I will be keeping the car covered the majority of the time on the driveway.

I understand you can use some waxoyl around the car as a preventative measure against rust. Is there anything else I can do to drop it rotting away? I’ll be forking out 3 grand for it as its a very clean example with a full service history. To be honest the interior looks brand new (I’ll post some photos as soon as i’ve got it).

Thanks again!

#5 PURPLE_2L_LX

PURPLE_2L_LX

Mk3 Forum Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 28617 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 08:33 PM

Just passes its MOT is not a sign of no rust. It may have been a friendly tester

or the rust was hidden.

Ive seen someone fix rusty (missing) outer sills by just fitting a body kit plastic

with pop rivets. In a crash it would have folded in half.

The only real cure for rust is to cut out the rusty metal and weld in new metal.

On a car that old your going to spend far more than its ever going to be worth.

Covering the car could trap moisture so it stays wet and wont dry out which accelerates

the rusting process. Waxoyl is rubbish.  Seen it peel off in a large chunk with what

was left of a piece of chassis with it.

If you buy something old, get yourself a good quality welder and learn to weld and

fabricate body panels.

#6 Dillsagoo

Dillsagoo

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 09:34 PM

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

Okay so say if the car is in good condition and has very minimal to no rust. Any advice you can give with regards to preventing rust? And keeping it protected.

Many thanks again

#7 PURPLE_2L_LX

PURPLE_2L_LX

Mk3 Forum Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 28617 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 12:20 AM

Prevent rust, a good quality paint and dont let dirt build up because it gets damp

and creates a rust trap.

Look under a car and see where dirt gets thrown up from the road and where it sticks

is usually where the rust starts.

Thats why modern cars have the plastic wheelarch liners, even then there will be

spots where dirt gets trapped. That dirt gets wet and the rust starts.

#8 Dillsagoo

Dillsagoo

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:43 PM

Great stuff. Thank you for the advice!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fiesta mk2, classic, mk2, xr2, 1.1, popular plus, buying advice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users