Fender bender - Page 6 - Legal Corner - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Fender bender

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#51 mike wilson

mike wilson

SMeghead

• Members
  • 1120 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:00 PM

POPULAR

As an aside, for the last three years I have checked online for quotes after my renewal notice came in.  The cheapest (cheaper than I was already paying) sensible option, every time, was..... my own insurance company!  The first year, I queried the issue and the sales person just said (effectively) "Go for it!"  Every year since then.  Saved about £150 so far.

• stonekeeper likes this

#52 Rekusu

Rekusu

Megger

• Members
  • 1645 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk3 Mondeo, TDCI

Posted 03 February 2019 - 10:33 PM

I may be wrong but it is my understanding that is because you are requesting a new quote; effectively letting the existing one lapse.

The regular premium increase is usually due to automatic renewal, which is not necessarily a new quote, just an extension of the existing policy.

What if the Hokey Cokey IS what it's all about?

#53 Rekusu

Rekusu

Megger

• Members
  • 1645 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 07:09 AM

POPULAR

Been some time and don't want to give a running comentary, but here is a heads-up.

Have replaced the rear door with one I found at a scrappy, same colour.  Have the front in the garage to replace when I get around to getting my mojo into gear.

But the interesting thing is on  the legal front.  Six months an nothing; my insurance company have heard nothing and as i am not making a cliam (they will write the car off) I am not pursuing that line.

Finally, decided, with the risk of a brick through my window, to send him a letter requesting £1140 within two weeks or I will 'consider' going to the small claim court.  He obviously sent my letter to his insurer and the result is a letter from them, accepting liability and asking for 'supporting documentation' as to how I have gotten a figure of £1140.

Is it certainly greater than the average of the three lowest bodyshop quotes, but less than the average of four quotes; mainly because one quote was £2700!  My justification is with all the research, time, travel costs, cleaning and refurbing the doors, etc, total 47 hours for two doors at £20 per hour, plus the cost of the doors and travel costs at the government rate of 45p per mile.

I'm sure there will be some negotiation but I'm hopeful that by playing hardball, I will at least receive the average of the three lowest quotes.

• twincarbs and mondy zetecs like this

#54 twincarbs

twincarbs

I Love Diesel

• Members
  • 2126 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk3 Mondeo 2.2 TDCi

Posted 01 July 2019 - 10:05 AM

I really hope they just agree and pay up.

I asked a blind parachutist how he knew when he was about to hit the ground. He said that his dog lead went slack.

#55 Rekusu

Rekusu

Megger

• Members
  • 1645 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 06:01 PM

POPULAR

What ho one and all,

RESULT!!!!!!!!

After seven months of  nothing much happening, apart from me replacing the two damaged doors with a pair of the same paint code from a scrappy, his insurance company have agreed to reimburse me £725.

But I sort of had to fight for it.  Having heard zilch, I decided to send him a bill for just over £1k complete with a spreadsheet of my hours and costs, etc, copies of all the quotes and receipts, etc and a threat that if he did not pay, I would see him in the small claims court.  He send my letter to his insurance comapny.

They contacted me and said that in principle, they agreed with most of my points but there where some areas they did not.  For example, I had two round trips to the breakers yard (110 miles x 2) which I was charging 0.45p per mile.  They disputed this and said they would pay nothing.  I called to ask what other information they required and also explained that 0.45 per mile is what HMRC agree, as on the HMRC web site.  So they said OK. 

I wrote them what we had talked about and said I would agree to close the issue for £725, which was an average of the three bodyshop quotes I had received.  And they have agreed.

Hopefully, I will see the transfer into my account in a few days.

They did mention that they are now aware that their client was 'lying' (their word) and they were taking the matter very seriously.  I mentioned  he was trying to defraud my insurance comapny and they agreed.

So he has really shot himself in the foot for future premiums.  Sorta Win / Win all round.  I will not be out of pocket and he will see the stupidity of his modus operandi (and for being a lying b****ard)

• raynkar and mondy zetecs like this

#56 raynkar

raynkar

Dash cams, catch 'em out :)

• Members
  • 11856 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 August 2019 - 06:05 PM

Excellent result :)
You can put your vehicle info at the bottom of your posts to give details to help others know what you drive :)

#57 Rekusu

Rekusu

Megger

• Members
  • 1645 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 06:07 PM

POPULAR

Yes, it was worht playing hardball!

• mondy zetecs likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users