No central locking but need to open boot :( - Security / Safety (Mk3 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

No central locking but need to open boot :(

boot tailgate central locking

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Darfyddi

Darfyddi

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 270 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo mk3 TDCi
  • Name:Alan

Posted 17 September 2018 - 07:31 PM

Hi again,

As always I have spent a few hours on here and google looking for this answer to no avail but I have got close a few times.

I have my car, '06 2L TDCI

and a scrap car, '06  2.2L ST TDCI

I swapped the doors over and have no problems with my big standard car but lost central locking(CL) to the ST scrap car. Not thinking, I wasn't too worried about the CL on the ST so today I went down and swapped the entire locking mechanism over between the two drivers doors as I had forgotten that the cylinders had to stay with their respective cars! Anyway - now on to the rear bumper, finally drilled the rusty bolts out from the bar under the tyre well on the ST and went to open the boot only to realise that although I have power, I have no CL even to the boot.

The press switch on the boot does nothing

The buttons on the key fob only make the indicators flash according to unlock or double lock

During the door change the fuse for CL blew so I changed it and checked the locks and fob, still no joy.

Turning the key in the door cylinder only locks/unlocks the drivers door and flashes the indicators.

I have unplugged and plugged in the GEM just in case I had knocked it, same with whatever the blue plug is in the same-ish area.

When I press the key fob button I hear a little click in the GEM.

Earlier I had to pop out so I disconnected the battery from the ST and will pop down now to see if that makes any difference (I live in tower block so popping up and down to the car is a 15-30 minute job each time).

Right, on to my questions...

1.) I really only need the boot open but it would be nice if everything worked okay so is it easy to make the CL work again or is that knackered?

2.) I can get into the boot space from within the car so if I can find the wires that supply the boot switch, which one do I short to open the boot? (is it that simple?)

Thank you for your time again, I hope I have enough info above.

Cheers,

D

Mondeo MK3 2006 2.0L TDCi 85kW(115PS) Duratorq DI HPCR 5d Manual MTX75

#2 Master-of-none

Master-of-none

Clever cloggs

• Members
  • 1565 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:1.0 125PS Focus Ti

Posted 17 September 2018 - 09:08 PM

did you find this?

https://talkford.com...lease-solenoid/

Weaselling out of things is important to learn,it's what separates us from the animals Except the weasel

#3 Darfyddi

Darfyddi

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 10:12 AM

Just gone through that and the links thanks, I think it might be a relay in the GEM, not sure but will have a look later. intrigued by the 9v battery thing so might be able to do that from the plug at the GEM. I shall look for a spare GEM in my box of bits too -forgot about that last night.

Cheers,

D.

#4 nicam49

nicam49

Little Megger

• Gold Member
  • 4237 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo mk3
  • Name:Nick

Posted 18 September 2018 - 10:41 AM

Did the cl work on both cars before the door swap?
If yes, then check you've seated the plug fully on the door locking mech on the ST. Unplug it and check for bent pins/damage. Also, on the ST, do the mirror and window controls work OK? If not, you could have a plug seating problem on the door pillar.
<p><p>nicam49 2002 Mondeo TDCi Ghia X Estate mk3 pre facelift Stardust Silver+Rust.[b] 308,000+miles, but been off the road since Nov 2019 after timing chain slipped during fuel pump transplant. Awaiting return of mojo

#5 Darfyddi

Darfyddi

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 04:14 PM

Hi, I don't think I have checked the mirrors on the ST, I shall do that tonight. I have unplugged and checked all the door plugs and I didn't see any bent ones however I did not check to see if any pins were pushed back through the plugs.

I tried looking at the GEM earlier but a post I saw listed the connector numbers wrongly (or I read it wrong) Now I know it goes: Black C427; Green C428; Blue C426; White C429; Brown C430 - I think anyway, both these bits of info come from here but I believe the latter to be correct as the wire sizes coming into the centre Blue connector supports the theory that this is  C426.

I did get confused with Haynes as it says that C426/1 is the input from the battery (via fuse 24 at 20amps) with the wire colour being orange with blue stripes but, as far as I remember, no pin 1 had orange with blue but shall check again tonight.

So looking at Haynes, the motor on the boot lid has a wire from C428/2 orange/black to pin 1 of the motor and the motor then outs to ground via pin3. Also to the motor, via a pin 5 to a switch then to pin 3 is a wire from C427/22 black/red. 

Reading the other posts, can I just supply 12v to the orange/black wire on pin 2 C428 while it is unplugged from the GEM to pop the boot or is it more complicated?

#6 nicam49

nicam49

Little Megger

• Gold Member
  • 4237 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo mk3
  • Name:Nick

Posted 18 September 2018 - 06:17 PM

Re last para: good idea, worth a try at least. Can't hurt if you disconnect from GEM first.
<p><p>nicam49 2002 Mondeo TDCi Ghia X Estate mk3 pre facelift Stardust Silver+Rust.[b] 308,000+miles, but been off the road since Nov 2019 after timing chain slipped during fuel pump transplant. Awaiting return of mojo

#7 Darfyddi

Darfyddi

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 10:06 PM

Okay, so I slipped a wire into the footwell lamp holder and held it in place with the lamp so I could see it was still on then fed the other end of the wire into pin 2 (orange/black wire) of unplugged C428 (green connector) and 'POP' went the boot - I am so happy now.

I have read so many threads on this issue with no actual solution to opening the boot other than from the boot being open to start with, could someone please stick this information up somewhere:

12v (though someone did it with 9v battery at the boot end with boot open I think) positive to the Green Connector (C428) of the GEM - Pin 2 with the thick orange/black wire.

Cheers all that read this and to those that helped.

D.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: boot, tailgate, central locking

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users