Mondeo MkIV tyre sizes - Tyre Talk - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Mondeo MkIV tyre sizes

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mike wilson

mike wilson

SMeghead

• Members
  • 1120 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 12:37 PM

Anyonoe know why Ford lists two sizes (205/55x16, 215/55x16) for the 1.8TDCI?  There's over a £30 difference in price per tyre and my supplier refused to fit the smaller one (despite being shown the handbook) because the larger ones were already on.

#2 Mark M

Mark M

TF regular

• Members
  • 1241 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk4 Mondeo 2.5t
  • Name:Mark

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:44 PM

Did they refuse to fit a single smaller tyre or were you asking for 2/4 smaller tyres?

If they refused to fit a single one I can't say I blame them as it would be an MOT failure (I think it still is anyway) and they probably just wanted to cover themselves. If they refused to fit 2/4 smaller ones then you need a better supplier.

RamAir Pod Filter   -   Elevate FST225 Top Pipe   -   Airtec FMIC   -   Scorpion Downpipe   -    Scorpion Cat Back Exhaust   -   ECV Valve   -   RS DMF + Clutch Kit   -   Bluefin Stage 2

Sports Rear Diffuser   -   Sports Top Front Grill   -   Sports Bottom Front Grill   -   Sports Fog Lights   -   Sport Pedal Covers   -   Dark Ice Designs Auto Lift Boot Struts   -   Dark Ice Designs Bonnet Rams   -   Dark Ice Designs Short Shift Kit   -   Auto Mirror Mod   -   Interior LED Conversion   -   Nextbase 402 and 512 Dashcams  -  Convers Mod

295bhp & 450nm of fun, but can still give 38mpg  :driving: 

#3 PURPLE_2L_LX

PURPLE_2L_LX

Mk3 Forum Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 28833 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:MK4.5 TDCI 140

Posted 02 August 2018 - 09:00 PM

Depends on the wheels fitted. 205's maybe the steel wheels. You cannot fit different

sizes on the same axle.

Poses issues if you get a punture.

MK4.5 TDCI 140 Business Estate.

MK3 FUSE INFO CLICK HERE ... FORD WIKI CLICK HERE .... FORD ETIS CLICK HERE

Adding your location may find someone local who could offer assistance.

F-Super, Bluetooth OBDII (ELM) and a MS509 scanners (test subjects required).

ForDiag now available to victims.

#4 mike wilson

mike wilson

SMeghead

• Members
  • 1120 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 08:49 AM

It was a set.  The fitter agreed that they were a suitable size for the wheel but his company regs would not allow change.  It might be interesting if someone turned up with obviously oversize tyres on....

#5 Master-of-none

Master-of-none

Clever cloggs

• Members
  • 1562 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:1.0 125PS Focus Ti

Posted 04 August 2018 - 11:12 AM

Mk3 Focus had 215 x 55 x 16 tyres, more  recently they changed to 205 x 55 x 16  There are a couple of settings for tyre size in the BCM, with a range of possible sizes otherwise the speedo will read incorrectly .

My guess;

the slightly wider tyres are slightly taller and therefore slightly reduce fuel consumption when undergoing official testing

Weaselling out of things is important to learn,it's what separates us from the animals Except the weasel

#6 mike wilson

mike wilson

SMeghead

• Members
  • 1120 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 11:52 AM

Interesting.  How would one go about accessing the tyre size information in the BCM?

#7 TheAntman

TheAntman

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 106 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Sport
  • Name:Tony Ford

Posted 28 December 2020 - 06:45 AM

My 1.8 TDCI Mondeo came supplied with 235/45 R17W on 17 inch rims, so definitely more than two different tyre sizes for these

#8 Master-of-none

Master-of-none

Clever cloggs

• Members
  • 1562 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:1.0 125PS Focus Ti

Posted 28 December 2020 - 10:10 AM

Holy thread resurrection, Batman

To clarify the original point, the various sizes were on the same 16" wheels.

and to clarify my earlier post

When new, My Mk3 Focus had 215 x 55 x 16 tyres, more recently FORD changed to 205 x 55 x 16

And because I missed this comment

Interesting.  How would one go about accessing the tyre size information in the BCM?

Not sure about if it works with the Mondeo MK4 but the FOCCCUS program and an OBD2 device allows you to read and alter settings for the FOCUS MK3. There are other software available such as Elmconfig and ForScan which probably can do the same thing.

On the Focus  it's item #70 and possibly other such as item #117FoCCCus-Central-ECU-Config-Config3.jpg

Edited by Master-of-none, 28 December 2020 - 10:14 AM.

Weaselling out of things is important to learn,it's what separates us from the animals Except the weasel

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users