A cough and a puff of smoke and we’re off again! - Diesel Engines (Mk4 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

A cough and a puff of smoke and we’re off again!

lumpy smoke diesel no power revving dpf

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jono4266

Jono4266

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo
  • Name:Jonathan

Posted 27 June 2018 - 12:04 AM

Hi All.

I have a 2010 Mondeo 1.8 tdci zetec that is really trying my patience. About eight months ago it started to cut out when it came to parking outside the house after driving. It’s getting progressively worse as it now does it when moving off onto a roundabout, parking at the shops and generally slow speed manoeuvres; all very intermittently and no real pattern.

However the car drives superbly when in motion and pulls like a train when putting in overtakes etc. Nonetheless, I’ve narrowed it down to when the car has been driven normally and then comes to a stop for a short while with the engine idling (queuing for a parking space or waiting at a red light for example).

When it then comes to moving off and revvs are required, it either cuts out or doesn’t rev at all in that the engine really chugs with the revs bouncing betweeen the 1500/2000rpm mark. Almost like it’s being restricted to rev by something. Sometimes the slightest application of throttle wants to make the car stall.

With careful feathering of the throttle, I can usually get the car to finally rev right up through the rev range, which always produces a cloud of thick smoke (usually blue but has been dark grey recently). After this episode and the car has coughed out all this smoke it runs fantastic again (until the next time it come to slow speed manoeuvring again).

This happened again yesterday when queuing at McDonalds drive-thru. Given the hot weather the car behind (and we were bunched up close) had all its windows down. Needless to say I propper smoked them out like something out of Uncle Buck! It was rather embarrassing!

No warning lights shown, fuel and air filters replaced, EGR seems to move freely enough so likely to be clean and working (I think).

Any ideas? Many thanks.

#2 mike wilson

mike wilson

SMeghead

• Members
  • 1120 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 12:55 PM

POPULAR

I would still try blanking the EGR. Easy enough with a bit of tin can cut to shape and fitted across the connection at the top, where the silver pipe goes in. You have all the signs that I had - no problem since blanking.
  • Jono4266 likes this

#3 Jono4266

Jono4266

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 05:58 PM

Hi Mike.

I’ve mentioned it to a few friends in work who have had similar issues with their diesels (not all Fords). Some of which have had their egr blanked and have reported massive improvements in how their cars drive. I’m just a bit cautious now that the MOT regs have changed.

Was thinking of trying ‘Terra-Clean’ first before implementing more permenant changes. Not sure what the consensus is amongst forum members with regards to Terra-Clean and its pros/cons? The cost of one application of Terra-Clean from a local garage is the same as a new DPF.

#4 Ufels

Ufels

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo mk4
  • Name:Uldis

Posted 27 June 2018 - 06:19 PM

POPULAR

Wont blanking the egr cause the car to bring up codes and go in limp mode?

• Jono4266 likes this

#5 Jono4266

Jono4266

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 07:04 PM

I don't know to be honest.

#6 mrbungle

mrbungle

Little Megger

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:12 AM

POPULAR

Would be tempted to block the EGR off to see if you can identify it as the problem.

Not sure how the EGR blank is looked upon with the new MOT regs that have just come in this year.

• Jono4266 likes this

#7 Jono4266

Jono4266

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 03:45 PM

From what I've read/researched the engine management light is likely to come on when the EGR is blanked off but it won't trigger limp mode on this particular model of engine.

Plus a car may still pass an MOT under the new regs with an engine management light showing. The shake ups appear to be around dpf removal and visible smoke of any colour.

I may blank off the EGR and see what happens. My thinking is that when it comes to MOT time, if there are concerns, just remove the blanking plate and reinstate the EGR for the test and get the light off by a simple ECU reset? Dpf remains untouched and in use.

#8 Ufels

Ufels

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo mk4
  • Name:Uldis

Posted 29 June 2018 - 09:42 AM

POPULAR

If you decide to do it, please tell us how it went. My 1.8tdci has a problem that might be egr related and I'm having thoughts about blanking it and see whether that fixes it or not.

• Jono4266 likes this

#9 Jono4266

Jono4266

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 07:32 PM

Will do. Rather typically, since I’ve posted up on the forum, the car hasn’t done it! I think it knows I’m on to it!! Will keep you posted.

#10 Jono4266

Jono4266

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 07:47 PM

Evening All. By way of a quick update. Bought a blanking plate for the EGR and fitted. Driven the car a handful of times since and to be honest the car drives so much better. Not chugging at all and throttle response is so much more positive. The engine management light has come on but not bothered with that. Will look into getting that remedied at a later date. Cheers.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lumpy, smoke, diesel, no power, revving, dpf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users