Anyone had a 1.5l Ecoboost problem - Page 2 - Ford Kuga Forum - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Anyone had a 1.5l Ecoboost problem

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#11 Mark M

Mark M

TF regular

• Members
  • 1343 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk4 Mondeo 2.5t
  • Name:Mark

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:13 PM

Well, we had a quick update from the garage and hoping for more details tomorrow.

They finally got the head off and........

A valve is stuck open.

Hoping tomorrow we will find out why, the extent of the damage and whether Ford is going to be fixing it, replacing the head, or replacing the whole engine. If a piston's slapped the valve then I'd expect the last option.

My gut feeling is a spring has failed so not able to pull the valve shut.

Unless there is a chunk of piston broken off wedging it open  :eek13:

RamAir Pod Filter   -   Elevate FST225 Top Pipe   -   Airtec FMIC   -   Scorpion Downpipe   -    Scorpion Cat Back Exhaust   -   ECV Valve   -   RS DMF + Clutch Kit   -   Bluefin Stage 2

Sports Rear Diffuser   -   Sports Top Front Grill   -   Sports Bottom Front Grill   -   Sports Fog Lights   -   Sport Pedal Covers   -   Dark Ice Designs Auto Lift Boot Struts   -   Dark Ice Designs Bonnet Rams   -   Dark Ice Designs Short Shift Kit   -   Auto Mirror Mod   -   Interior LED Conversion   -   Nextbase 402 and 512 Dashcams  -  Convers Mod

295bhp & 450nm of fun, but can still give 38mpg  :driving: 

#12 TreborB

TreborB

8 gears or more please

• Members
  • 5337 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:BMW 320i M Sport
  • Name:TrevorB

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:51 PM

aaaaahhh well, least its moving forward, dam slow though.

In my day we used to replace a Jaguar engine whilst the customer waited in reception, drinking coffee and a free meal in the restaurant (giving my bloody age away now)

BMW 320i M Sport 2019 Mineral Grey, Steptronic 8 speed ZF Auto

( Sorry but NO 2.3 Ecoboost 8 Speed Auto Mondeo's to be found!)

Focus 2018 Mk3.5, 1 Litre Ecoboost 140ps ST Line, SYNC3 Sat Nav, Parking Sensors, Colour Magnetic - Gifted to the Wife! Then Sold Aug 2019

Mondeo Mk5 Titanium 2L Ecoboost 240ps, X Pack, Body Kit, Rear Spoiler, 19" Alloys, LED Headlamps, Sony 12 Spkr Audio, Park Assist, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, Magnetic, Built Sept 2015,Sold Oct 2018.

Mondeo TitaniumX Sport 240ps 2L Ecoboost Powershift 2011 - Sold 2016 But Never Forgotten.

2007 - 2010, 4 New Focus ST225s

#13 Mark M

Mark M

TF regular

• Members
  • 1343 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:00 PM

Jag, giving something for free?!?!?!?  :eek13:

Must have been a llooooooooooooooooooonnnnggggggggggg time ago  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Dam slow is an understatement, looking at another 3 weeks if its a new engine  :crazy:

I think we're even more miffed as it's a Motability car so it's been spec'd to cater for the Mrs. The lovely hire car we've been given isn't so after a 10mile round trip she's practically crippled for 3 days. The prospect of another 3 weeks with a car that's unusable is not appealing.

RamAir Pod Filter   -   Elevate FST225 Top Pipe   -   Airtec FMIC   -   Scorpion Downpipe   -    Scorpion Cat Back Exhaust   -   ECV Valve   -   RS DMF + Clutch Kit   -   Bluefin Stage 2

Sports Rear Diffuser   -   Sports Top Front Grill   -   Sports Bottom Front Grill   -   Sports Fog Lights   -   Sport Pedal Covers   -   Dark Ice Designs Auto Lift Boot Struts   -   Dark Ice Designs Bonnet Rams   -   Dark Ice Designs Short Shift Kit   -   Auto Mirror Mod   -   Interior LED Conversion   -   Nextbase 402 and 512 Dashcams  -  Convers Mod

#14 TreborB

TreborB

8 gears or more please

• Members
  • 5337 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:38 PM

That really is very bad news Mark. What the hell can you do these days.

I don't think its that long ago because I can still remember those days :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Focus 2018 Mk3.5, 1 Litre Ecoboost 140ps ST Line, SYNC3 Sat Nav, Parking Sensors, Colour Magnetic - Gifted to the Wife! Then Sold Aug 2019

Mondeo Mk5 Titanium 2L Ecoboost 240ps, X Pack, Body Kit, Rear Spoiler, 19" Alloys, LED Headlamps, Sony 12 Spkr Audio, Park Assist, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, Magnetic, Built Sept 2015,Sold Oct 2018.

Mondeo TitaniumX Sport 240ps 2L Ecoboost Powershift 2011 - Sold 2016 But Never Forgotten.

#15 Mark M

Mark M

TF regular

• Members
  • 1343 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 08:46 PM

And more news!!

After they took the head off, good old Ford said nope, we don't like that diagnosis, you now have to do a wet test.

And it's a good job they did.

With the block on the stand, they filled each cylinder to the brim with oil to check the leak down rate. Well, they tried to. Apparently, cylinders 2, 3, and 4 were OK, but as soon as they poured oil into cylinder 1 it just poured straight through "like pulling the plug on the kitchen sink" is how the mechanic described it.

So, a 1-year-old 1.5l EcoBoost with 4000miles on the clock and full main dealer service history (yes all 1 stamps 6 weeks beforehand) has died and is being replaced with a shiny new engine. As soon as Ford can get one delivered which will take a couple of weeks.

Whats really annoying, besides having a crappy hire car that the Mrs cant drive as she finds it too painful, is that no one will say what has actually failed. There's talk of rings and ring lands failing but I'm wondering if the bore has gone oval a bit like the 3 cylinder lumps did a few years ago.

#16 TreborB

TreborB

8 gears or more please

• Members
  • 5337 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 09:08 PM

Well, I can't believe what I thought in the first place is probably true at such low mlg.

When the piston rings/lands fail it has always been only one piston in a engine that is a problem, usually No 1 or 4.

If the fluid just poured "straight through" it won't just be an oval bore.

I can't believe that no one will just drop the sump and pull the rod and piston so they can actually see what the full damage is - absolutely stupid - I cannot believe they have not done it.

Is there actually no person at the dealership who would like to see the piston

Don't know about needing a "wet test", looking down at the faulty piston you should be able to see signs of the problem at a minimum.

These modern day technicians and processes/procedures just do my head in.

I have not seen this type of failure damage any bores yet. If you had got to pay for it you can quite easily buy a set of non genuine, up market pistons and the job is done

So, in approx 22 days they have managed to remove a cylinder head and pour some fluid down the bores to decide its a piston failure - wow eeeeee - thats about actually 2 hours of work

Edited by TreborB, 22 June 2018 - 09:23 PM.

#17 Mark M

Mark M

TF regular

• Members
  • 1343 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 09:48 PM

The dealer that's working on it is short-staffed and overrun so I can sort of understand them not doing extra work to satisfy our curiosity but at the same time it is bloody annoying. I'd rather know if an engine has a design weakness so I know what to look out for.

From the bit of info we have gotten, there are no visible problems with the bore so based on that and what you've just said I'd have to assume the ringlands between the 2nd compression ring and oil control or 2nd compression ring and 1st compression ring have failed so it wouldn't be immediately obvious. I'm still surprised it wasn't chucking out large plumes of smoke unless being just 1 faulty pot there isn't enough of a failure to cause a smoke screen.

Have to agree with the modern technicians' methods, it does seem to be a case of "computer says no". If you don't have a fault code logged then everything is fine as the engine bursts into flames.

Really glad the bill isn't coming out of my wallet, diagnostics, labour, new engine and 28days (and counting) of hire car would make one very large dent in the bank balance.

Edited by Mark M, 22 June 2018 - 09:48 PM.

#18 TreborB

TreborB

8 gears or more please

• Members
  • 5337 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 09:55 PM

Understaffed - that's an understatement - you are too nice Mark!!

Yes, it's quite odd in view of what fails you would expect lots blue smoke before failure but it does not seem the case.

Again, odd, one minute the engine seems ok, the next it isn't.

At least you will have a complete engine - eventually.

It would not stop me from having another one.

There is no concrete evidence what the cause is, Ford may know but us minions never will.

It is only a rumour but one guy I spoke to, who runs an ST and works at Ford told me it was a bad batch of pistons problem, but who knows. It certainly is a rare fault compared to number of units out there

#19 Mark M

Mark M

TF regular

• Members
  • 1343 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 10:17 PM

It is only a rumour but one guy I spoke to, who runs an ST and works at Ford told me it was a bad batch of pistons problem

Funnily enough, as we were leaving the dealer I said to the Mrs about that and that hopefully after a year any faulty batch should be out of the way by now.

The odd thing is I'd still happily drive the Kuga even after all this, and trying to search for information it seems like ours is the only engine failure so it must be a 1 in a million problem. Though the number of 1.5 petrol Kuga's does seem very low in comparison to any of the diesel engine ones.

Fingers crossed we don't have to repeat all this in a years time  :lol:

#20 TreborB

TreborB

8 gears or more please

• Members
  • 5337 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 06:12 PM

Hi Mark,

In view of the fact it is a 1.5 and very very low mlg I never expected the failure to be what it is, hence I never asked a question in any earlier posts.

Question is - have you ever experienced any "pinking"/pre ignition on the vehicle?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users