Anyone had a 1.5l Ecoboost problem - Ford Kuga Forum - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Anyone had a 1.5l Ecoboost problem

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Mark M

Mark M

TF regular

• Members
  • 1126 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk4 Mondeo 2.5t
  • Name:Mark

Posted 30 May 2018 - 08:51 PM

Just curious really.

Wife has a 17plate Kuga (mk2 Facelift) from new with the 1.5l EcoBoost engine, auto box, AWD, and it's been fine for 13months.

Drove it around 50miles on Monday without any issue, got home and parked up. Went out again on Wednesday and it sounded like a diesel van. Barely made it down the road as it was misfiring so bad the whole car shook even at idle and constantly tried stalling on the overrun.

Chucked Forscan on and pulled a code for cylinder 1 misfire so got on to the dealer. Was taken away on Saturday after MUCH pissing about by RAC (who should have taken it on Thursday but that's another story) and found out today that the fault is not electrical (plugs, packs, ECU, and injectors are all fine)  car was serviced only a few weeks ago with 4,000 miles on the clock and hasn't missed a beat since till Wednesday.

Not too worried about fault finding as the dealer are on it and will return the car asap I'm sure, just wondering if anyone has heard or experienced any similar issues to this? 

Edited by Mark M, 30 May 2018 - 08:55 PM.

RamAir Pod Filter   -   Elevate FST225 Top Pipe   -   Airtec FMIC   -   Scorpion Downpipe   -    Scorpion Cat Back Exhaust   -   ECV Valve   -   RS DMF + Clutch Kit   -   Bluefin Stage 2

Bluetooth + USB mod   -   Convers Mod   -   NX Mod

Sports Rear Diffuser   -   Sports Top Front Grill   -   Sports Bottom Front Grill   -   Sports Fog Lights   -   Sport Pedal Covers   -   Dark Ice Designs Auto Lift Boot Struts   -   Dark Ice Designs Bonnet Rams   -   Dark Ice Designs Short Shift Kit   -   Auto Mirror Mod   -   Interior LED Conversion   -   Nextbase 402 and 512 Dashcams

295bhp & 330ftlb of fun, but can still give 38mpg  :driving: 

#2 TreborB

TreborB

Powershifts Forever

• Members
  • 4726 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:BMW 320i M Sport
  • Name:TrevorB

Posted 30 May 2018 - 09:02 PM

POPULAR

Oh, thats an odd one Mark.

1.5 litre Ecoboost and only 4,000 miles. Now, bearing in mind what you say it isn't, if it had been 2L Eco with over 75K on the clock I would have had a stab (But don't forget, "I may not know a squat" !!!!!!)

Hear from you soon

Edited by TreborB, 30 May 2018 - 09:04 PM.

• Mark M likes this

BMW 320i M Sport 2019 Mineral Grey, Steptronic 8 speed ZF Auto

( Sorry but NO 2.3 Ecoboost 8 Speed Auto Mondeo's to be found!)

Focus 2018 Mk3.5, 1 Litre Ecoboost 140ps ST Line, SYNC3 Sat Nav, Parking Sensors, Colour Magnetic - Gifted to the Wife! Then Sold Aug 2019

Mondeo Mk5 Titanium 2L Ecoboost 240ps, X Pack, Body Kit, Rear Spoiler, 19" Alloys, LED Headlamps, Sony 12 Spkr Audio, Park Assist, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, Magnetic, Built Sept 2015,Sold Oct 2018.

Mondeo TitaniumX Sport 240ps 2L Ecoboost Powershift 2011 - Sold 2016 But Never Forgotten.

2007 - 2010, 4 New Focus ST225s

#3 Mark M

Mark M

TF regular

• Members
  • 1126 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 09:30 AM

POPULAR

Well, I'm sorry Trevor but that is just not very helpful so I don't know why you posted it.

:}  :}  :}  :}  :}  :}  :}  :}  :}  :}

• TreborB likes this

RamAir Pod Filter   -   Elevate FST225 Top Pipe   -   Airtec FMIC   -   Scorpion Downpipe   -    Scorpion Cat Back Exhaust   -   ECV Valve   -   RS DMF + Clutch Kit   -   Bluefin Stage 2

Sports Rear Diffuser   -   Sports Top Front Grill   -   Sports Bottom Front Grill   -   Sports Fog Lights   -   Sport Pedal Covers   -   Dark Ice Designs Auto Lift Boot Struts   -   Dark Ice Designs Bonnet Rams   -   Dark Ice Designs Short Shift Kit   -   Auto Mirror Mod   -   Interior LED Conversion   -   Nextbase 402 and 512 Dashcams

#4 TreborB

TreborB

Powershifts Forever

• Members
  • 4726 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 03:09 PM

A cracking reply Mark.

Sorry I forgot the new rules, words something like - "If you can't say something positive when a member asks, don't say nothing at all"

Reminded me of the words in the Ronan Keating song "When you say nothing at all"

The smile on your face let's me know that you need me

There's a truth in your eyes saying you'll never leave me
The touch of your hand says you'll catch me if wherever I fall
You say it best when you say nothing at all

I will try and keep up in future :lol:  :lol: 

Focus 2018 Mk3.5, 1 Litre Ecoboost 140ps ST Line, SYNC3 Sat Nav, Parking Sensors, Colour Magnetic - Gifted to the Wife! Then Sold Aug 2019

Mondeo Mk5 Titanium 2L Ecoboost 240ps, X Pack, Body Kit, Rear Spoiler, 19" Alloys, LED Headlamps, Sony 12 Spkr Audio, Park Assist, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, Magnetic, Built Sept 2015,Sold Oct 2018.

Mondeo TitaniumX Sport 240ps 2L Ecoboost Powershift 2011 - Sold 2016 But Never Forgotten.

#5 TreborB

TreborB

Powershifts Forever

• Members
  • 4726 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:15 PM

Hi Mark

Any good news on the Kuga problem yet

#6 Mark M

Mark M

TF regular

• Members
  • 1126 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:07 PM

Well..... we've had some news but I wouldn't say it was good  :lol:

The garage is slowly but surely dismantling the engine, turns out they have to jump through all of Ford's hoops in order to get things done. Going over tomorrow to have a look but from what we've heard it's going to be a new engine as soon as Ford's little tests are completed.

At least another couple weeks I reckon with the lovely hire car.... a Vauxhall Grandland X  :sick:  :sick:  :sick:

What a hideous piece of machinery that is.

#7 TreborB

TreborB

Powershifts Forever

• Members
  • 4726 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:25 PM

Wow, I am surprised/shocked. I suspected a minor prob at that mlg.

So it may turn out to be what I did not want to predict!!

#8 Mark M

Mark M

TF regular

• Members
  • 1126 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:53 PM

We thought it would be a dodgy plug after it got serviced a few weeks beforehand, certainly weren't expecting to hear "new engine" after 4000 miles and only 1 year old.

What were you thinking it might be?

#9 TreborB

TreborB

Powershifts Forever

• Members
  • 4726 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:19 PM

Hi Mark,

Well, from how you first described the fault, purely due to the mlg, I thought it surely cannot be what I would go for. That is why I did not want to speculate

What I would go for is failed piston rings/failed piston glands on one piston.

Very rare, but not unknown on some 2 litre ecoboost units. I have not heard of it on the 1,5 litre.

Lets wait and see. All the best.

post-88761-0-55847400-1401914222_thumb.j

Edited by TreborB, 08 June 2018 - 09:20 PM.

#10 Mark M

Mark M

TF regular

• Members
  • 1126 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:45 PM

I was thinking the other side, something on the valvetrain as there is zero smoke from the exhaust just a strong smell of unburnt fuel. Will be mentioning that tomorrow as it's almost certainly destroyed the CAT/S.

I know from a previous car that a broken ringland results in a bit of exhaust smoke.

I had a Skyline that was mildly modded (nearly 500bhp on a stock engine) and didn't hold up as well as I'd have liked. I broke 5 out 6 pistons, all of them had cracked ringlands and the drive back from Surrey Rolling Road was entertaining. I was heading back towards Worthing on the A27 and decided as I was nearly home I'd have one last play so went chasing a motorbike  :dang:

I pulled up at the traffic lights and had to wind down both windows to let the smoke clear from inside the car. Outside it was so thick I couldn't even see the car in front of me or my friend who was following in his MR2, and he was 3 feet behind me. Must have confused everyone around me, waiting in the queue in a car that has pretty much exploded around me and I'm sat in the driver's seat laughing my arse off.

And yes, I kept up with the bike  :first:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users