Ford Automobiles Forum banner

Mk3 TDCI and MOT

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  jack s 
#1 ·
What ho one and all,

I guess there is going to be considerable concern regarding the new MOT regulations and our older cars. Mine is 2003 MK3,TDCI.

On all the important issues, it has always passed the MOT; the one I am most concerned about is emissions,but again, never failed. In days of yore, we were given the emission readings; these days, it seem to be pass or fail.

I think I understand the three new categories, but previously, a fail allowed time to get whatever fixed for a re-test. Does a fail under the new regs, mean that one cannot drive the car away.

My worst failure was after I had replaced the front discs and brake pads. It exceeded the left/right brake imbalance. But I took it home, redid everything and returned two days later and it passed with only a 2% difference. Under the new regs, is it true that I would not be able to take the car home?

Another failure was that the rear indicator was not the correct colour, not sufficiently orange. Just needed to replace the bulb with one that was fully coated, and it passed. Would this have been a 'you are not allowed to drive the car away' situation?

Rex

See less See more
#3 ·
My emissions test was done on a machine a couple of weeks ago, with opacity readings:

Limits

Oil temp: >= 60oC

Opacity limit: <= 3.00m-1

Fast pass limit: <= 1.50m-1

Free accelerations

Accel. Opacity

1 0.07m-1

Results

Oil temp: 80oC

Opacity zero drift: 0.00m-1

Average opacity: 0.07m-1

Test result: PASSED

I haven't looked up what all these readings mean yet, but I'm guessing they are good!

#4 ·
I'm guessing that those figures are almost as good as a new car. Looking back, 8 years ago, I got 1.47 (just pass!); the next few have been around the 0.85 mark and the last reading I have for two year ago was 0.54.

Don't know that resaon but I think I started putting some diesle clean whatever into the fuel a few weeks before the MOT and on the day, take if for a blast and really burn out any crud. Pedal to the floor in 2nd and third usually leave blackk smoke but after a blast, virtually nothing that I can see in the rear mirror.

From what I have been hearing on the radio, seems these new regs are somewhat draconian.

#5 ·
Only draconian if you have removed emission equipment thats obviously visible.

They cannot prevent you taking the car away, the same as the old MOT, if it failed the

MOT then in theory your driving a car thats not roadworthy.

It maybe a minor or a serious issue, still not roadworthy according to the MOT. You also

committed the offence driving it to the MOT station though.

If you have a CAT or it looks like you have then it wont fail on that, no emissions only a smoke

test and a good thrash before the MOT does wonders.

#6 ·
No CATS; no DPF, just a plain vanilla Mk3 TDCi. Always take her for the MOT around 2/3 weeks before expiry so that should I need to replace anything, I'm still good to go.

Only major failure was the front brake imbalance, but even that was not something that I noticed when braking heavily, and in those days, I was allowed home to fix. Guess from now on, I will not be able to drive the car, or is that not the case?

#7 ·
Just seen this on the Yahoo News we site:

The testers will carry out a number of new checks, including where tyres are obviously under-inflated, if the brake fluid has been contaminated and whether brake pads or discs are missing.

Really? Why would you take any car for an MOT with missing brake pads or discs? Surely the car would not stop with either missing?

#8 ·
It would be a quick visit to mot station with no brake discs or pads :D

I dont think you can drive away from a test station if you have dangerous defect. But I'm sure we'll all soon find out

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
It would be a quick visit to mot station with no brake discs or pads :D

I dont think you can drive away from a test station if you have dangerous defect. But I'm sure we'll all soon find out
ive actually just emailed DVSA about this and you CAN take the car away, the test centre cannot stop you. HOWEVER even if you have a still valid MOT you can be prosecuted for driving an unroadworthy vehicle (which you always could) BUT the difference now being that the failure flags up IMMEDIATELY with the relevant parties and would therefore show up on ANPR systems etc. whereas previously it didn't.

its recommended that you have the car recovered (or repaired at rip off costs at the test station if you usually do your own work etc) but theres nothing they can actually do to stop you taking your car, although some places might insist you sign a disclaimer of some sort!

#10 ·
I got an even lower emissions reading than last year at my MOT today:

Free accelerations

Accel. Opacity

1 0.05m-1

Results

Oil temp: 100oC

Opacity zero drift: 0.02m-1

Average opacity: 0.03m-1

Test result: PASSED

Taking the zero drift into consideration, that's a whopping 0.04m-1 less Average opacity than last year. :D

#11 ·
Engine must be run in now :)

#12 ·
One interesting thing - this morning I noticed that my average mpg (reset a few hundred miles ago) had gone down from an indicated 54 mpg to 46 mpg. Only made it back up to 47 mpg on the way to work, so I don't think it had been reset.

Presumably this shows how much they thrash the engine during the emissions test. Or something else was going on.

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
A couple/three points.

1. There are now 3 categories of fault for an MoT test
a). Dangerous. The vehicle may not be driven away. It can be recovered.
b). Major. This is an MoT fail.
c). Minor. This replaces the old advisory category. They are not a test fail.

A vehicle may be driven to/from a pre-booked MoT test without VED or MoT certificate; it must still be insured. Now it can only be driven away after a test fail under category b).

2. Previously, brake testing was limited to leakage and efficiency. In theory, metal on metal on both sides could still pass if the amount of braking was sufficient and balanced.

3. The emissions test requires that the engine be at operating temperature and the test is performed at near maximum revs.

#14 ·
I use to take my car to a trusted small car business/garage a week before the MOT.

They gave it a service and renewed any necessary parts needed + gave it a good check over prior to them taking it to there usual MOT garage. I suppose you could say a pre-MOT. The car never failed, in fact, never an advisory.

Unfortunately age caught up with them and they closed.

I now take my car to a local garage who were recommended. They are thorough, although fair, which suits me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.