Fiesta mk5 replacement ECU - what do I need? - Ford Fiesta Mk4 / Mk5 Forum - (1995-2002) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Fiesta mk5 replacement ECU - what do I need?

fiesta mk5 ecu new ecu replace ecu

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 spirivid

spirivid

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Focus C-Max mk1
  • Name:Jezz

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:16 PM

Evening all. My friend has managed to fry the ECU in his Fiesta mk5 (51-plate, 1.25 manual, petrol), due to ignoring a faulty coil pack and carrying on driving the car for a couple of weeks. Car currently runs on at most 3 cylinders and is shaking fit to bust.

The dead ECU has been diagnosed by our friendly local mechanic. New ones cost £800, blah, blah...

I'm looking at used replacements on eBay, but what parts and procedures - and what keys - do we actually need?

My "boss" for whom I sell used cars (a former Ford dealership owner) says we need three keys, of which the most important is the red one (also a black one and a black one with a red chip??).

My mate who manages a Halfords maintenance centre says similar, but adds that one can get around a missing red key by using the radio code (??).

Meanwhile,  none of the used ECU "kits" (with door locks, dashboard instruments, etc.) seem to come with a red key, only black keys.

Can we just replace the ECU?

How much would we be looking at to get stuff recoded?

What is the most cost-effective option that will actually work and get my friend back on the road?

Unfortunately, fitting new locks all round is going to be an expensive job, but anyway, it'd be great to know what the options are, from peple who have experience.

Over to you! And thank you!

Edited by spirivid, 29 January 2018 - 10:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users