ABS & AIR BAG warning light bulbs - Electrical (Mk1/Mk2 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

ABS & AIR BAG warning light bulbs

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 steveo69

steveo69

Little Megger

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:13 AM

does any one know why these bulbs are a led ( ford part number 3904504)  type & not the conventional  capless / wedge type ,  also are these only a ford dealer item ?

thanks in advance

#2 silvercanary

silvercanary

Ford "Mechanic"

• Members
  • 387 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:mk1 focus 1.8 16v lx
  • Name:Eddy

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:15 PM

This is not an LED. It's a capless incandescent bulb mounted in a plastic bulb holder. You can probably buy them new from a Ford dealer but most likely cheaper from online shops/auction sites etc or buy a handful second hand from a scrapyard. 

I guess they're designed to be easy to fit (1/4 or 1/8th? turn with two fingers) and more compact so there aren't huge bulb holders hanging out the back of the binnacle that will be knocked off when it is fitted in the factory...

speedometer-bulb-ford-transit-2000-2004-789.jpg

Edited by silvercanary, 16 January 2018 - 01:19 PM.

#3 steveo69

steveo69

Little Megger

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 12:49 PM

This is not an LED. It's a capless incandescent bulb mounted in a plastic bulb holder. You can probably buy them new from a Ford dealer but most likely cheaper from online shops/auction sites etc or buy a handful second hand from a scrapyard. 

I guess they're designed to be easy to fit (1/4 or 1/8th? turn with two fingers) and more compact so there aren't huge bulb holders hanging out the back of the binnacle that will be knocked off when it is fitted in the factory...

attachicon.gifspeedometer-bulb-ford-transit-2000-2004-789.jpg

hi Eddy  , sorry for the late reply  , & thank you your quick reply  ,  mine are definitely  led bulbs , in brown bulb holders , maybe they changed them , cars a   November 99 build , anyway going to have a look down the breakers yard , when it stops raining ,  maybe other  models have conventional bulbs for abs & air bag etc ,

thanks for your help appreciated

#4 silvercanary

silvercanary

Ford "Mechanic"

• Members
  • 387 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:mk1 focus 1.8 16v lx
  • Name:Eddy

Posted 22 January 2018 - 12:58 PM

have you checked with a ford dealer to see how much they are? 

I found these new ones, anyway https://www.autobulb...nd-panel-bulbs/

there will be others elsewhere if you put the right description into a search engine. i have no idea the significance (or lack of it) regarding the colour of the base...

#5 steveo69

steveo69

Little Megger

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 02:39 PM

have you checked with a ford dealer to see how much they are? 

I found these new ones, anyway https://www.autobulb...nd-panel-bulbs/

there will be others elsewhere if you put the right description into a search engine. i have no idea the significance (or lack of it) regarding the colour of the base...

hello Mate ,  appreciate the quick   reply  , that's a usefull place in the link you posted thanks !

went to fords , they can still get them  , but not a stocked item , £29 + vat each ,  will have a look down the breakers  , if no good will order as you suggested on line  , or may well  buy  some leds & attempt to fit the to the bulb holders ...

anyways thanks again :cheers:

#6 madcox

madcox

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo mk2
  • Name:Joita Constantin

Posted 22 April 2018 - 09:10 PM

I managed to change all the bulbs for the speedo and rpm with leds. Just keeped the plastic base and mounted white smd's with small modifications. On ABS, Airbag and other indicators could work also spot leds. For gauges is needed a flood light, that's why I choose after many tests this kind of leds.

Passed more than 3 years since then and still working. Just test before fitting everyhting back. Because are leds the polarity matters.

Screen Shot 2018-04-22 at 23.45.02.png

The bulb that that I sacrificed in order to fit leds.

Screen Shot 2018-04-22 at 23.44.30.png

The leds used. I cutted them a little and fitted them into the original bulb base.

Other solutions can be used offcourse if you have spare bulbs to practice; I didn't.

DSC00541.JPG

The final result. Some darker areas but not so noticeable with the eye; more than 4 smd's on each bulb will help probably. 

#7 Harkonnen

Harkonnen

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Name:Erik

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:00 PM

Hey guys, so this is what I have done, I mounted smd led socket t5 from AliExpress or eBay.... They are good and you have a lot of colors to choose from. You can follow me and what I have don't to my car erikthefordguy.wordpress.com . Thanks! I will write like almost every week once at least! 5ca48e8d5e9e0c9eababc407b269f81b.jpge203d376452d8fd7338fa5355870561d.jpg

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk

#8 Harkonnen

Harkonnen

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Name:Erik

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:04 PM

And my original halogen bulb was fried! That is a T10 socket, and just like that I had mounted smd rgb with ir remote control... And now it's on the smooth changing color mode... Very cheap on ebay and they are working very well. I have them installed in the Dome light as well! d7c4fcfb032e38804c996bcc0c188176.jpgf713769cd871c8ae40e78df67d47c869.jpg

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users