2.0 TDCi diesel engine may cut out while car is moving - Diesel Engines (Mk5 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

2.0 TDCi diesel engine may cut out while car is moving

diesel stalling

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 dml2

dml2

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 2.0 TDCi
  • Name:David

Posted 04 December 2017 - 01:13 PM

Recently, I drove a Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi diesel hire car, June 2017 reg, 8094 miles on the clock.

I was driving in 6th gear at 70 m.p.h. then I braked while approaching a roundabout. At approx. 20 m.p.h. I put the clutch down to 'block change' into 2nd gear but the engine cut out. I kept the clutch down, coasted onto the roundabout (it was clear) and took the first exit. Fortunately this was a farm track with no traffic so I was able to stop safely and restart the engine.

I phoned the car hire company and said that the engine had cut out while the car was moving at about 20 m.p.h. so I thought there was a fault and I didn't consider that the car was safe to drive. They said it could be the auto stop/start. I said that couldn't be the reason as the auto stop/start should only work when the car stops. Then they suggested that I should call the AA.

I asked the AA patrol man to plug in his OBD scanner to check for faults but he found no fault codes stored. He then told me that it is a 'characteristic' of high-geared modern cars with common-rail diesel engines and 6 gears that the engine cuts out below a certain number of r.p.m. He wasn't able to give me a precise figure but I continued my journey making sure that the revs never dropped below 1000 r.p.m. while decelerating and the engine didn't stall again.

I read elsewhere on TalkFord that on the Mondeo Mk3 diesel, the ECU stops firing the injectors below 650 r.p.m. and that 6th gear is 2000 r.p.m. at 76 m.p.h. If it's the same for Mk 4 then 650 r.p.m. would be 24.7 m.p.h. which would explain why the engine cuts out if you decelerate to 20 m.p.h. in 6th before changing down.

Has anyone else had a problem with this 'characteristic'? Does anyone else think it is unsafe? I think that car hire companies should warn their customers about this.

#2 Mondygeek

Mondygeek

dont listen to me, you'll have horsepower and no money

• Members
  • 3191 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo mk3 (54) tdci
  • Name:Ben

Posted 04 December 2017 - 03:16 PM

POPULAR

From what I've just read I'm assuming at 20-25mph you was still in 6th gear before pressing down the clutch? If that's the case then that speed for that gear is way below the engines stall rpm and would just put that down to your late change in gear rather than a fault with the car. I'm assuming the car gave a judder right before it stalled?
  • sandyspanner and TreborB like this

#3 dml2

dml2

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 2.0 TDCi
  • Name:David

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:23 PM

From what I've just read I'm assuming at 20-25mph you was still in 6th gear before pressing down the clutch? If that's the case then that speed for that gear is way below the engines stall rpm and would just put that down to your late change in gear rather than a fault with the car. I'm assuming the car gave a judder right before it stalled?

Thanks for the reply. I mentioned Mk4 but it's Mk5. I probably had slowed down to 20 - 25 m.p.h. in 6th gear but I didn't notice any judder. I just pressed the clutch to change gear and noticed that the engine had stopped. This is new to me, normally if the engine is turning then it will pick up and run at idling speed. If the ECU doesn't fire the injectors below 650 r.p.m. then how does the engine start in the first place?

I'll watch out for this in future but sometimes a late gear change would be unavoidable, such as traffic on a motorway slowing down unexpectedly.

#4 TreborB

TreborB

8 gears or more please

• Members
  • 5324 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:BMW 320i M Sport
  • Name:TrevorB

Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:21 PM

POPULAR

David, I cannot get my head round this.

If you were driving at 70 in 6th, approaching a roundabout, you obviously slowed down as you approached the roundabout so why were you still in 6th gear when you got to the roundabout at approx 20mph.

Who says the injectors cut out on the Mk5 at 650rpm

Late gear changes unavoidable?? If you are in traffic why are you in 6th gear.

On a motorway, emergency stop, well if you dont get chance to change down and upon coming to a complete emergency stop, what the heck if it stalls anyway.

I would suggest that your incorrect diving caused the cut out at the roundabout.

• Mondygeek likes this

BMW 320i M Sport 2019 Mineral Grey, Steptronic 8 speed ZF Auto

( Sorry but NO 2.3 Ecoboost 8 Speed Auto Mondeo's to be found!)

Focus 2018 Mk3.5, 1 Litre Ecoboost 140ps ST Line, SYNC3 Sat Nav, Parking Sensors, Colour Magnetic - Gifted to the Wife! Then Sold Aug 2019

Mondeo Mk5 Titanium 2L Ecoboost 240ps, X Pack, Body Kit, Rear Spoiler, 19" Alloys, LED Headlamps, Sony 12 Spkr Audio, Park Assist, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, Magnetic, Built Sept 2015,Sold Oct 2018.

Mondeo TitaniumX Sport 240ps 2L Ecoboost Powershift 2011 - Sold 2016 But Never Forgotten.

2007 - 2010, 4 New Focus ST225s

#5 Bigcol1

Bigcol1

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo '18 210ps
  • Name:Colin

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:14 PM

This has been happening to me every 2000 miles for the past 9 months. but its not rev related. I have an auto 180hp and it just cuts out whilst normal driving at 70mph. usually whilst on cruise control. been into dealers 6 times and had loads of bits changed but still no fix. it always happens just as I apply a light throttle and then as if by magic the engine dies. No fault found, no code and Ford don't have a monitoring device that records so no luck. getting to the point where I need to get rid of the car. Dash just shows a nice picture of a spanner with the comment "see manual".

restarts fine after you have coasted into the slow lane then to a stop. put it in park, turn off. Ive had a failure in the Dartford tunnel and on the M25 with no hard shoulder at night in the rain so its a bit scary.

IMG_3815.JPG

Edited by Bigcol1, 05 December 2017 - 07:19 PM.

#6 TreborB

TreborB

8 gears or more please

• Members
  • 5324 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:24 PM

So Colin, your problem is totally different to Davids experience.

Your veh certainly does have an actual problem Colin if the engine is stopping/cutting out at your speed and revs

Does the fault ever happen when cruise control is not in use

Edited by TreborB, 05 December 2017 - 07:25 PM.

Focus 2018 Mk3.5, 1 Litre Ecoboost 140ps ST Line, SYNC3 Sat Nav, Parking Sensors, Colour Magnetic - Gifted to the Wife! Then Sold Aug 2019

Mondeo Mk5 Titanium 2L Ecoboost 240ps, X Pack, Body Kit, Rear Spoiler, 19" Alloys, LED Headlamps, Sony 12 Spkr Audio, Park Assist, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, Magnetic, Built Sept 2015,Sold Oct 2018.

Mondeo TitaniumX Sport 240ps 2L Ecoboost Powershift 2011 - Sold 2016 But Never Forgotten.

#7 Bigcol1

Bigcol1

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo '18 210ps
  • Name:Colin

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:32 PM

Its happened whist on adaptive cruise and off. Always at motorway speeds, however as 90% of the time is on Motorways and that's no help. Ford had it for an extended test and drive 60 miles! it now happens every 2 or 3 thousand. ( monthly for me)

I think its a fuel metering problem or something wearing as it used to happen only in hot weather last couple of summers but now its happening more frequently and in colder weather.

I was looking into some sort of OBD reader for a laptop myself so I could check for a code at the actual time if cut out.

#8 TreborB

TreborB

8 gears or more please

• Members
  • 5324 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:25 PM

Hi Colin,

just a stab in the dark. would have been easier if it only cut out when CC in use

sorry I can't help with a diagnosis on the fault as I don't do diesels.

There are a few guys on here who can recommend a decent OBD reader etc. Hopefully one will pop the info up soon.

Or you could ask the question about a reader by posting in the Mk5 Mondeo Electrical section, or the

Tools and Test/Diagnostic Equipment Section found in the main menu

#9 nesmagu

nesmagu

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:53 AM

20mph at 6 gear and you wonder why the engine cut off? lol.

#10 Jimbbobw1977

Jimbbobw1977

TF regular

• Members
  • 593 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 180
  • Name:James

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:55 PM

Of course the engine will cut out at 20mph in 6th gear! It’s not a safety issue it’s driver error. Some cars this maybe feasible but not this or a lot of other cars for that matter.

We have Corsa 1.3d’s at work, and these I’ll simply not do less than 25mph in 5th gear before it will cut out
Mondeo Titanium X Pack Estate 180 Powershift Deep Impact Blue

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users