Non starter - Ford Granada Forums & Ford Scorpio Forums - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Non starter

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 59HotRod

59HotRod

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Granada mk2
  • Name:Rod

Posted 04 November 2017 - 06:44 AM

I did use my car just about everyday, now when I turn the key to start all I can hear is a relay click (elec arial I think) I've done all the usual

checks; starter/solenoid/battery/starter relay/ earth strap & connections all ok. Gearbox inhibitor switch ok There's 12v at the ignition switch

& at the starter relay (in the fusebox). I can start it with with a wire from solenoid to battery-but it runs unevenly-and stops. It's one of the last 

mk2s off of the line registered August '85 (2.8 carb Ghia x auto) I've had two 'experts' look at it to no avail

#2 turbopete1

turbopete1

TF regular

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:mk4 mondeo zetec
  • Name:Peter

Posted 04 November 2017 - 04:27 PM

a 2.8 with a carb is a rarity in such a late car. every one ive seen had the injection engine.

by clicking i presume you mean similar to a flat battery or faulty starter? you say you have power to the starter relay at the fusebox, but is that power getting to the actual relay? are all the live feeds clean and tight? battery terminals clean and tight? if it starts and runs rough and stalls with a wire directly to the solenoid from the battery, it would suggest to me that there is a wire broken between the fuse box (id actually be surprised if the starter wire went through the fuse box, as most didnt, back then) and the starter solenoid.

as for running rough, it could be a huge amount of things like bad fuel, dirt in the carb, diaphragm issues (on the carb, if it has any), battery voltage low, plugs, distributor cap/rotor arm etc, plug leads, coil, wiring loom degrading, and the list goes on.

#3 59HotRod

59HotRod

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Granada mk2
  • Name:Rod

Posted 05 November 2017 - 11:47 AM

I think it probably was injection originally, the last mk2 I owned was an '82 and that one had EFI. Yes all the connections and wiring is good but I will check it all again. I serviced it back in the 'summer' including new plugs/leads/rotor, even cleaned the carb out and polished the butterfly valves. Had it it running super smooth. All these problems happened at the same time that's what makes me think they're related but Knowing cars they may not be!  Regards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users