What did you do with your Mondeo today - Page 241 - Mondeo Mk3 General Discussion - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

Photo

What did you do with your Mondeo today

• Please log in to reply
2406 replies to this topic

#2401 raynkar

raynkar

Dash cams, catch 'em out :)

• Members
  • 12390 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted Yesterday, 06:18 PM

That seems like an odd choice of head unit, but perhaps you never play any form of disc?

To have a single DIN HU fit in the cup holder/ashtray it would have to be very shallow, and thus have no disc drive. 

you could also lose the cup holder, do you ever use that?

I might be missing the point of your location choice, but a double DIN head unit in the factory position could easily be a touch screen, so would work as your reversing cam screen as well as all the other features.

It's an old school '80s radio, about 1/2-2/3" depth of a typical radio and it has a separate tape deck which I can hook it up to the radio or not (I still have a few tapes left in a box - those homemade mix tapes). I might have to move a control box underneath the ash tray though - not sure what it is for, I'll have to do some research.

I currently have 6000CD and also have a spare 6006E (which seems to have the well known 6th disc issue) but I mostly listen to the radio or mp3s off USB (I bought one off Ali, it works well once all the files are in place but getting the files in the USB can be tricky). I think I can add aux. input to the old school headunit without too much trouble so that's no big deal.

As the factory setup leaves much to be desired in my opinion, especially with pre-facelift 6000/6006, I don't think I'm losing much.  

As for the location, I found I quite liked having a radio there having owned Citroen CX & GSA for a few years.

I don't drink in the car, other than water in a sealed bottle (which is usually too big to sit in the cupholder anyway). I have been thinking about designing a "proper" cup/water bottle holder. I'd rather not have a cupholder that is an accident waiting to happen. 

I forgot to ask, what Ideas do you have for a cup holder?

Ive been thinking I might need to make one in the future if I block access to the cup holder/ashtray trim.

I haven’t come up with any designs yet, but would need it to work even if there was a passenger in the front.

You can put your vehicle info at the bottom of your posts to give details to help others know what you drive :)

#2402 ul9601

ul9601

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 370 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:03 Mondeo Mk3 Estate
  • Name:Sam

Posted Yesterday, 09:38 PM

Ive been thinking I might need to make one in the future if I block access to the cup holder/ashtray trim.

I haven’t come up with any designs yet, but would need it to work even if there was a passenger in the front.

None so far  :biggrin: - but the first thing to do is not to have one, which is halfway done (pop-out cupholder has been replaced with boot release switch). In that way, either I force myself not to carry any semi-open drink container and if I ever have to do, I'd open the window and hang it out with the right hand so any spill would occur outside the car. Which makes sense as I need the left hand free to change gears.

2003 Mondeo 2.0 Duratec HE petrol MTX-75 5 speed manual (pre-face Mk3)

#2403 ul9601

ul9601

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:52 PM

What I meant was I didn't realise there are different standard bulb specifications regarding the nub locations depending on the application. I went through my old spare bulb collections going back 20 years and they are just the way it is.

So I presume pre-facelif sedan/hatch indicator would have nubs apart approx.180 degrees (but not quite) to accept white bulbs (as they have orange lens) whereas estate and later facelift sedan/hatch would have a bit narrower angle to accept amber coloured bulb required for clear lens they have. And dual filament tail/brake has each nub at different depth etc.

The issue I have is, I just happened to have amber coloured LED bulb to go in the front factory indicator location - I don't think Ford changed the lens colour to clear to match the rest of the indicator lens in the facelift cars so getting a bulb holder from those cars won't help me.

I'll just have to bite the bullet and buy a set of white colour LED bulbs. 

#2404 raynkar

raynkar

• Members
  • 12390 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted Yesterday, 10:03 PM

POPULAR

What I meant was I didn't realise there are different standard bulb specifications regarding the nub locations depending on the application. I went through my old spare bulb collections going back 20 years and they are just the way it is.

So I presume pre-facelif sedan/hatch indicator would have nubs apart approx.180 degrees (but not quite) to accept white bulbs (as they have orange lens) whereas estate and later facelift sedan/hatch would have a bit narrower angle to accept amber coloured bulb required for clear lens they have. And dual filament tail/brake has each nub at different depth etc.

The issue I have is, I just happened to have amber coloured LED bulb to go in the front factory indicator location - I don't think Ford changed the lens colour to clear to match the rest of the indicator lens in the facelift cars so getting a bulb holder from those cars won't help me.

When some people have fitted amber front indicator bulbs they have swapped the amber internal lens cover for a clear cover from a focus.

There must be info on this mod somewhere on TalkFord.

Edited by raynkar, Yesterday, 10:03 PM.

• ul9601 likes this
You can put your vehicle info at the bottom of your posts to give details to help others know what you drive :)

#2405 raynkar

raynkar

• Members
  • 12390 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted Yesterday, 10:10 PM

POPULAR

None so far  :biggrin: - but the first thing to do is not to have one, which is halfway done (pop-out cupholder has been replaced with boot release switch). In that way, either I force myself not to carry any semi-open drink container and if I ever have to do, I'd open the window and hang it out with the right hand so any spill would occur outside the car. Which makes sense as I need the left hand free to change gears.

Are you sure you aren’t a bit paranoid about spills :) 

• ul9601 likes this

#2406 ul9601

ul9601

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted Today, 01:38 AM

When some people have fitted amber front indicator bulbs they have swapped the amber internal lens cover for a clear cover from a focus.

There must be info on this mod somewhere on TalkFord.

I'm guessing Mk 2 Focus? Not many of them in boneyards but definitely good info. If the front indicator lens is clear, then I'll just grab the bulb holder. In the mean time, I'll grind one of the nubs off amber bulb and see if it'll hold. 

#2407 ul9601

ul9601

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted Today, 01:40 AM

Are you sure you aren’t a bit paranoid about spills :)

One of many issues I have... ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users