Swirl flaps MK4 Duratec - Petrol Engines (Mk4 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

Photo

Swirl flaps MK4 Duratec

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 guitar

guitar

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 110 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:41 PM

This topic is well covered in the mk3 section concerning inlet manifold swirl flaps.

I have a Mk4 2009 Duratec 2.0 and there was the tapping sound,
though I did not do anything about it yet, then last week an engine warning light

It is still under extended warranty so Ford have replaced the solenoid that controls the flaps and now it goes well with no tapping sound yet.

When the warranty runs out (when the car 8 years old in September) I plan to remove the flaps or have them removed for me.

There are lots of how-to videos about the mk3 but it looks to me like my Mk4 has a slightly different shape manifold, and the Haynes manual says to to remove the manifold the engine mounts have to be removed then replaced with new screws when it is put back on, and that is something I am not confident about doing myself.

Has anyone removed the inlet manifold on a Mk4 Duratec and is it any more complicated than on a mk3?

Edited by guitar, 01 February 2017 - 08:44 PM.

#2 RB2004

RB2004

Click4 - What will you Click4 today?

• Members
  • 1481 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:35 AM

You can only remove half the flaps on mk4 unlike mk3

Reason being is mk4 has 2 sets of flaps.. Tumble flaps and inlet manifold runner control flaps.

The later is installed in the manifold before its welded together so you can't remove them.

So even if you remove 1 set there will still be another set remaining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 vieplis

vieplis

vieplis

• Lifetime Gold Member
  • 803 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Mk1+Mk4

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:43 PM

A couple of images attached to illustrate this explanation

You can only remove half the flaps on mk4 unlike mk3

Reason being is mk4 has 2 sets of flaps.. Tumble flaps and inlet manifold runner control flaps.

The later is installed in the manifold before its welded together so you can't remove them.

So even if you remove 1 set there will still be another set remaining.

and this explanation (from http://www.talkford....revs/?p=2552442)

Mk4 mondeo has 2 sets of flaps, imrc and tumble flaps.

Check the swirl flaps are working correctly.

At lower revs should be using the longer inlet tract, but at higher revs should be using the shorter tract.

If for some reason the solenoid is stuck and it's using shorter Tract at lower revs then that can cause problems

8tWz6i5.jpg

JudVmX7.jpg

No vehicle deserves the miserable fate inflicted upon it by a self-righteous or "business-minded" Professional. #DIY, #DoItRight
[2007.07. onwards] LHD '2007 Mondeo Mk4 - 2.0 Duratec HE 145PS - TitaniumX
[2006.04. onwards] LHD '1994 Mondeo Mk1 - 2.0 Zetec-E (silvertop) 136PS - Si
[2004.10.-2009.01] LHD '1993 Mondeo Mk1 - 1.8 Zetec-E (silvertop) 115PS - GLX - road life ended

#4 guitar

guitar

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 110 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:29 AM

Thanks a lot I see the difference now.

They seem to be working fine now as before the new solenoid I was getting about 28mpg and now up to 36mpg.

For long term reliability is it advisable to leave the upper flaps as they are or would removing them be a worthwhile thing to do?

#5 RB2004

RB2004

Click4 - What will you Click4 today?

• Members
  • 1481 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 07:48 PM

POPULAR

Thanks a lot I see the difference now.

They seem to be working fine now as before the new solenoid I was getting about 28mpg and now up to 36mpg.

For long term reliability is it advisable to leave the upper flaps as they are or would removing them be a worthwhile thing to do?

Regardless of popular opinion removal is a personal choice.

However slight, the flaps are engineered for a purpose, ford spent millions designing, prototyping and testing them.. So they clearly serve a purpose.

Ford aren't in the habbit of chucking money developing useless components.

However there are lots of people who say removed with no issues.

What it boils down to is, do you trust ford engineers and all of their testing and development data, static dyno testing; flow bench testing which we aren't privvy to.

Or do you trust somebody on the Internet who thinks they know better than the car manufacturer posting saying they removed them without causing any problems, without any testing carried out or data to support their claims?

As above all down to personal choice :)

What my own independent findings have been is that they fail when the piston rings allow excessive blow by into the sump, it causes oil to spit into the oil separator and despite the separators purpose being to separate the oil, once the blow by gets too much it overwhelms the oil separator and oil ends up in the inlet manifold.

That was one reason why ford modified the oil separator and increased the size of the PCv hose, the modified separator had extra baffles and the PCv hose was to allow for a lower crankcase pressure, if you can evacuate the gases / vapour quicker it will be at a lower pressure... Lower pressure should in theory mean less oil spitting as less pressure to force the oil out.

Probably one reason why later cars tend to be a bit more reliable on flaps, although I have seen them fail on mk2 focus just the same. But less common at the moment...
Maybe as the engines get older it will become more common.

But the link between oil and failure is, the oil is not clean oil, it has carbon in suspension from the exhaust blow by, this coupled to heat leads to a gumming up effect on the flap bearing surfaces and it gradually wears it away as a result.

Ford didn't help the cost cutting measures either, manifold is designed to take 3 bearings between the ports, on mk3 mondeo they was originally only fitting 2 and on mk4 mondeo they removed them completely. Leaving it inadequately supported.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • guitar likes this

#6 Christiaan

Christiaan

Megger

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Mk4 2.3 Tit X
  • Name:Christiaan

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:51 AM

POPULAR

Hi,

Swirlflaps failing on a mk4 Duratec Mondeo is virtually non existent.

Having owned a MK3 2.0 petrol and swapping the inlet manifold as a precaution on that car, I thought IT would be the same on my mk4 Mondeo 2.3.

But my Ford dealer stated that this wasn't the case. Only solenoids and actuators and sometimes pcv give problems.

To prove this fact he showed me that they hadn't a single inletmanifold dit these engines in a very very long time.

Christiaan

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using TalkFord.com mobile app
  • guitar likes this
Panther Black MK IV 2.3 auto Titanium-X wagon 2009
Ink blue MK1.5 Focus 1.6 Futura 5-door hatchback 2004
State Blue MKIII 2.0 Ghia auto wagon 2001.
State Blue MKII 1.8 Ghia 5-door hatchback
Moondust silver MKI 1.8 CLX auto 5-door hatchback

Motto: My taste is simple, I will allways be content with the best.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users