Warning - How to destroy your F-Super interface. - Electrical (Mk1/Mk2 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Warning - How to destroy your F-Super interface.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Automondeo

Automondeo

Big Daddy

• Members
  • 659 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk2 2lt Ghia Auto
  • Name:Steve

Posted 24 January 2017 - 03:08 PM

POPULAR

A lesson learned - DO NOT power your laptop from a 12v car adaptor whist diagnosing your car with an interface that is connected directly to the laptop via usb.

I done that yesterday and the second i plugged the power adaptor into the cigar lighter socket i knew i had a problem. The car engine nearly cut out, various warning lights on the dash, and the car radio went nuts. I quickly unplugged the adaptor and all returned to normal with the car (Thankfully)  I could not work out what had happened, then it suddenly dawned on me that i might have caused some kind of weird ground loop - 12v ground from car goes through the inverter in the adaptor, then the modified ground gets fed back through usb cable and the F-Super to the cars ground. A quick search on Google brought this up - http://www.ross-tech.../warn-12v.html

I think that might confirm my theory! It is for a different car, along with a different scan tool, but the problem would be the same in my case.

Sadly my F-Super interface does not appear to functioning properly anymore, it's throwing up codes that do not seem to be true, for example, codes that state ABS pump failure, along with the failure of all four ABS sensors, plus a few engine codes that were not there before. The ABS light is not on - apart from it's usual 2 second self-test when i start the engine.In fact i had only just finished using the F-Super to diagnose a rear sensor failure (All other times i had used the laptops internal battery). I replaced the rear sensor and it fixed the fault. I got fed up with the laptop battery going flat - old laptop - knackered battery, seeing that i only ever use the laptop for diagnosing car probs i thought i would save a few quid and just get a car adaptor, rather than a new battery. The adaptor arrived yesterday, so i thought it was a good time to go and sort out an evap error code i noticed whilst sorting the ABS out. Perfect time to check the new adaptor worked ok.

Oh well, lesson learned, and thankfully the F-Super seems to be the only casualty. Hope this stops someone else making the same mistake!

• AndeeeH likes this

R reg 1997 Mondeo 2.0lt Ghia 4 Door Saloon Auto. No mods. Gearbox from a later black topped engined car successfully transplanted in place of my original box. (I have a copy of the CD4E service manual - if you need anything, let me know).

#2 Automondeo

Automondeo

Big Daddy

• Members
  • 659 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk2 2lt Ghia Auto
  • Name:Steve

Posted 06 February 2017 - 01:37 PM

POPULAR

Ok, i got my hands on another F-Super 2 interface and tried to clear the fault codes that had been thrown up. All engine codes cleared without issue, and have not come back, even after a few drive cycles. But, i cannot clear the ABS codes. I have even tried pulling the fuses for the ABS, the ABS control module, and the engine ECU, left them all unplugged overnight. But ABS codes refuse to clear.

Here is what i am getting -

C1095 - Pump Motor Circuit Failure.

C1148 - Right Front Wheel speed sensor coherency fault.

C1158 - Left Front Wheel speed sensor coherency fault.

C1168 - Right Rear Wheel speed sensor coherency fault.

C1178 - Left Rear Wheel speed sensor coherency fault.

But the ABS light on the dashboard is behaving normally - comes on for a couple of seconds when the ignition is turned on, then goes off like it should and stays off.

The fact that the ABS light is behaving normally suggests that the system seems to think all is well with the ABS, yet i cannot clear the codes?

Is there a specific way of clearing them? Or, i have actually damaged something in the OBD2 system?, or maybe even the ABS system itself?

I am thinking i need to determine if the ABS is actually working, maybe by going out on a wet road and seeing if slamming the brakes on hard will activate the ABS system, at least that way i will know if i have working ABS or not.

Any suggestions or input would be gratefully received.

(Just to recap - i originally had the ABS light on all the time, scanned the system and found out that the left rear sensor was at fault. Changed the sensor and ABS light turned off. Then i wanted to quickly check the code had cleared, so rescanned, but made the mistake of using a 12v car adaptor to power the laptop which caused the problems explained in first post.)

• mondy zetecs likes this

R reg 1997 Mondeo 2.0lt Ghia 4 Door Saloon Auto. No mods. Gearbox from a later black topped engined car successfully transplanted in place of my original box. (I have a copy of the CD4E service manual - if you need anything, let me know).

#3 madcox

madcox

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo mk2
  • Name:Joita Constantin

Posted 22 April 2018 - 09:20 PM

Passed more than one year but anyway...if you find out what's wrong please share; my abs light is off ( except on ignition on ), no error codes, but abs is not working. After 4 years I don't care too much but is more of a curiosity. Is different but still weird.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users