idiot's guide to air conditioning - Page 3 - Air-Con / Heating (Mk1/Mk2 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

idiot's guide to air conditioning

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

Likes to chat

• Validating
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 11:09 AM

Hi all,
Ok, I could have got that wrong about the green LED. It was a few years ago, and I'm gittin old! :loopy:

Cheers. :)

Likes to chat

• Validating
  • 151 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 01:04 PM

all good points above, and I must confess that I am very much more familiar with mk3 and other more 'modern' fords, so I bow to everyone's greater knowledge on the other cars.

One additional point that I should have probably added initially is
high and low temperature cutoff
AC won't engage below a certain ambient temperature - I think it's 5C as people have previously said. As the refrigerant expands thorugh the orifice it's temperature drops considerably. So much so that there can be times when the whole system ices up! Having a lower operation temperature limit prevents this. In addition, when the AC is working a considerable amount of heat us dumped through the condenser. Since this sits in front of the radiator it has the effect of increasing the coolant temperature. During extreme driving conditions such as alpine trailer tow, or motorway caravan tow, if the coolant reaches excessively high temperatures, The AC will be cut off to prevent this getting even hotter and to protect the engine.
other cutoffs
Under certain circumstances the AC may also be cut off for short periods of time to allow slightly more power to be available . At wide open throttle on some powertrains the AC is cut off for 10 seconds to allow overtaking.

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 08:54 AM

Hi guys
thanks for a lot of useful infos here :thankyousign:

#24 wannaghiax

wannaghiax

Megger

• Members
  • 78 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Mk4

Posted 24 July 2005 - 05:33 PM

Did anyone have a rough price for a re-gas by the way?
-------------------
Dave B.

1.8L GLX Saloon (L-reg), no mods
2.5L Ghia X Estate (S-reg), All-metal Waterpump, Richbrook Tax-Disc Holder, Smoke/clear side repeaters

2.0L Titanium TCDi Estate (58), <Blank canvas>

#25 Ultraviolet

Ultraviolet

MEG ULTRABABE

• Members
  • 2853 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 06:00 PM

Fab guide ( dont fancy doing one for the heated seats do you , as mine dont work )
ST24 Hatch back 1998 R
plasma dials, full leather, kenwood ipod head unit and chavtasic dragons on the wings .
http://www.facebook....hp?id=613445806

#26 chrisw

chrisw

MEG Admiral

• Members
  • 2934 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Cougar V6
  • Name:Chris

Posted 01 August 2005 - 08:34 AM

I've added Simon's initial post on this to the MEG Workshop :L

Silver Ford Cougar V6
No mods... yet!

My Garage

#27 johnpick

johnpick

MEG Corporal

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 08:36 AM

well done.
the ave price for a re gas is £40 by me in Leeds.
The light does come on if theres no refrigerant in the system
:beer: + :driving: = :no: :NuNu:
00 BMW 318i SE
05 ROVER STREETWISE
2001 MK3 1.8LX IN STEEL BLUE
DUCATI 916 STRADA
KAWASAKI Z650 97% MINT
1997 2.0 GHIA X COBALT BLUE WROTE OFF
1994 2.OSi CITRINE YELLOW ( SOLD & MISSED)
AIR CON ENGINEER

TF regular

• Validating
  • 1127 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 04:24 PM

I can't see that you have covered this already so here goes....
Another reason why your aircon may not run as cold as it should can be down to the receiver dryer unit. This removes moisture from the system which may form ice and restrict the flow of gas through the pipes. If the receiver / dryer becomes saturated you can get a build up of moisture which turns to ice, restricting the flow of gas in the system which will mean the aircon will not get very cold or can even get blocked. Then, the pressure switch will cut out more often for safety. This can lead to the aircon cutting in and out like it's low on gas but in fact when it is checked, it's full.
I'm led to believe the receiver dryer is a service item anyway and needs to be replaced at a certain point anyway. It should be replaced after a leak in the system as it may have become saturated by moisture getting into the system where the leak is.
I hope that adds to the helpful info here, but I must stress it's just my understanding of something that was explained to me, so apologies if there's any inaccuracies. ;)

Likes to chat

• Validating
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 07:58 PM

just a little question:

When the controls are on AUTO will the air con light ever come on.cause ive been told that in auto it switches air con on & off.if i switch air con on manually the light and everything works fine.im a bit confused :stupid:

Just Joined TF!

• Validating
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 08:33 AM

Posted Image

So is this the icon that says it needs A/C on? Mines orange not green. We were out tonight and it came on for about 10 secs, and went off, then come on a bit later. I dont get what its all about. I only had the car a week and it all boiled up and steam coming from under the bonnet, so its the first time I saw it tonight when I got it back from the garage. I dont have a book with it, but I could do with knowing! Cheerz :whistling:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users