IMRC - V6 'Duratec' Petrol Engines (Mondeo Mk3) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

IMRC

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 erikson

erikson

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo V6 2004
  • Name:Erik Svenberg

Posted 03 November 2016 - 03:25 PM

Hi,

I know imrc is an heavy discussion on different forum, but I want to go a step further.

When I´m doing the KOEO test, my imrc will actuate fully open. When I´m driving, the imrc will actuate at ca 5200 rpm, not useful. I will also get code P1519. When I´m reading the explanation, it´s not suitable for my car, as I can understand.

After disconnection of the battery, it seems that I have secondaries, I can feel something at 4000 rpm. But, nothing happens at the second try.

I´ve changed the transistor to a more powerful, BDW93CFP. I don´t think the old one was faulty.

Someone wrote on this forum, that he was driving for 2 years with secondaries open. I´ve tried that too, impossible to drive, when accelerating. Possible that PCM can retard the ignition at high revs. Check http://www.accutach....layCircuit.aspx.

Can I take for sure, that my imrc is correct, according to the KOEO test? Can accutach be something for the Ford 2.5? At the end, I need a complete wire diagram, but couldn´t find anything. The Haynes is not much to have to solve my thoughts.

I´m a foreigner, but I hope you can understand thread.

Regards

Erik

#2 GearJammer

GearJammer

Jammin' gears

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:1999 ST24

Posted 04 November 2016 - 08:49 PM

POPULAR

Erik

I've got a MK2 ST24. The motor in the IMRC failed a couple of years ago. I spent a year driving round with no IMRC effect. Eventually I took the motor and board out of the IMRC housing and jammed the clockwork bits so that the secondaries were always open. It's been like that for the past six month and my car drives amazing. There is still a "kick" at about 3500rpm which I believe is the timing shift. There seems to be a further, smaller kick at about 6000rpm. The car has also just sailed through an emissions test as part of our MOT. Not bad for 152,000 miles :)

I've no idea what differences there are between the MK2 and Mk3 (although I see that the IMRC in the MK3 has its own fuse). Anyway, I just thought I'd share my experience along with this diagram and info which I snap-shotted off the net a while back. Unfortunately I cannot find the page where I got it else I'd link to that and give some credit.

imrc 2.PNG

imrc.PNG

Good luck!

Dave

• mrdoofa likes this

Cheers

Dave

1999 ST24. 160,000 miles and rotted away...  

2016 Fiesta ST Line Ecoboost 125 

#3 svempa

svempa

Little Megger

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 08:15 AM

Thank's a lot for your answer. I might have some problems with my rail pressure. Could be my problems with secondaries always open. Have you looked at the mileage with fully open?
Mondeo V6 2004
Renault Clio 1.4 RT
Ford Bronco XLT
Porsche 964 RSR

#4 GearJammer

GearJammer

Jammin' gears

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 02:26 PM

Hi

In terms of miles per gallon, having the secondaries open all the time hasn't made any difference at all (or at least nothing as far as I can tell). It did initially make a slight difference when setting off from a standing start (car seemed less torquey), however, I've more recently fitted a new idle speed valve which has made a massive difference: the car is very nippy at low rpm and all hell breaks loose at 3500 rpm. 

I have no plans to replace the IMRC :)

Cheers

Dave

#5 erikson

erikson

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 04:10 PM

I really appreciate your interest in this thread. It's a good help for me. What idle speed valve do you use? If possible, detail number. I don't know if it make any difference that I have a 2.5 170 hp, but I will try.

Regards Erik

#6 GearJammer

GearJammer

Jammin' gears

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 04:47 PM

I don't think the valve has any bearing on the operation of the IMRC. I changed mine because of erratic idle but I think it may also have been leaking air into the manifold when it was supposed to be closed which caused issues generally with the way the engine was running. Whatever was going on with it, a brand new one has made all the difference. This is the exact part I used. 

I believe the part for the MK3 2.5 maybe different (has a different part number)...

Cheers

Dave

#7 erikson

erikson

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 02:11 PM

Ok,thanks anyway. I became erratic idle with secondaries open, but I don't think this is a result of the secondaries. I will drive with a manometer on the fuel rail pressure. I have no dtc, but a program tells me also that an O2 sensor is bad.
Ok, it's an old car, but I will fool around for a while.

#8 AndeeeH

AndeeeH

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 480 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo ST220
  • Name:Andy

Posted 06 November 2016 - 02:52 PM

POPULAR

If you think your problem might be fuel rail related check out the info regarding the damaged wiring for the rail, TPS and IMRC towards the bottom of this wiki:

http://www.fordwiki....RC_-_How_to_Fix
  • GearJammer likes this

#9 erikson

erikson

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 05:11 PM

No wire problems. If, there is a mechanical problem. Suspect fuel supply. It only occur under acceleration. I'm going to drive with a manometer in front of my window, just to see what happens. Inexpensive things to start with, it's an old car. And I have some problems, which I don't have described here.

#10 mrdoofa

mrdoofa

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk2 Mondeo Ghia X V6
  • Name:Martin

Posted 03 July 2020 - 01:58 AM

Erik

I've got a MK2 ST24. The motor in the IMRC failed a couple of years ago. I spent a year driving round with no IMRC effect. Eventually I took the motor and board out of the IMRC housing and jammed the clockwork bits so that the secondaries were always open. It's been like that for the past six month and my car drives amazing. There is still a "kick" at about 3500rpm which I believe is the timing shift. There seems to be a further, smaller kick at about 6000rpm. The car has also just sailed through an emissions test as part of our MOT. Not bad for 152,000 miles :)

I've no idea what differences there are between the MK2 and Mk3 (although I see that the IMRC in the MK3 has its own fuse). Anyway, I just thought I'd share my experience along with this diagram and info which I snap-shotted off the net a while back. Unfortunately I cannot find the page where I got it else I'd link to that and give some credit.

attachicon.gifimrc 2.PNG

attachicon.gifimrc.PNG

Good luck!

Dave

What did you actually do to jam the secondaries open? Cheers!!!

Speed has never killed anybody. Suddenly becoming stationary, that’s what gets you.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)