Reverse camera - Electrical (Mk5 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Reverse camera

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 ukmondeoman

ukmondeoman

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Titanium 180
  • Name:John

Posted 16 October 2016 - 11:12 AM

I have heard that the wiring loom is already in place if you want to retro (dealer)fit a reverse camera?
Does anyone know if this is true?

#2 Dragunov

Dragunov

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 493 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo MK5 180HP

Posted 17 October 2016 - 03:05 PM

First u need to check if the cable in the trunk base is made of one or two parts...

Or this is the way for the Focus III, not sure anymore!

Ford Focus II Trend++ 1.6TDCi 109HP+; Aquarius Blue; Build Date: April 2005; RIP: June 2016;

Ford Mondeo V Titanium 2.0TDCi 150HP+; Panther Black; First Edition Pack; Build Date: February 2015;

#3 rockey85

rockey85

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Mk5 2.0 150PS
  • Name:Chris

Posted 25 December 2016 - 11:44 PM

i'm assuming this is the plug you are on about, checked in my car (doesn't have reversing camera) and found this

Plug 3.jpg

Plug 2.jpg

Plug 1.jpg

Both parts of the plug seem to be there, i'm just trying to find a wiring diagram for the plug (I can't be bothered to go out with a multi-meter to work them out with the colder weather atm)

I've already turned on the option for the reversing camera in the SYNC 2 system, just deciding whether to DIY a cheap camera or spend the £150 that ford want for the parts for OEM stuff

Ford Mondeo Mk5 2.0 Zetec Nav 2015 (150PS)

Ford Mondeo Mk4 2.0 Zetec Sport 2011
Ford Mondeo Mk3 2.0 TDCi 130PSI 2004 Face-lift

All posts made by myself are provided without warranty or guarantee of the information provided within them. All content posted by myself will remain my sole intellectual property and no rights to this property will be passed to any third party without my express written permission. I will not accept any liability of participants on this website or between myself and talkford.com for any losses of any website user or of talkford.com. Any disputes will be settled and determined using English Law.

#4 fordy1

fordy1

Big Megger

• Gold Member
  • 580 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:2017 Mk5 Tit 150 MT6
  • Name:Brian

Posted 27 December 2016 - 02:13 PM

i'm assuming this is the plug you are on about, checked in my car (doesn't have reversing camera) and found this

attachicon.gifPlug 3.jpg

attachicon.gifPlug 2.jpg

attachicon.gifPlug 1.jpg

Both parts of the plug seem to be there, i'm just trying to find a wiring diagram for the plug (I can't be bothered to go out with a multi-meter to work them out with the colder weather atm)

I've already turned on the option for the reversing camera in the SYNC 2 system, just deciding whether to DIY a cheap camera or spend the £150 that ford want for the parts for OEM stuff

Hi rockey85.

I can check but I think that the grey connector in your first 2 piks is for the relay units associated with the

electronics of a towbar. I wonder if the back of the on dash 8" display has a seperate

socket for the camera or is the camera wiring included in the main loom and is connected

in this state?

Titanium+, 2.0 Lt.,150 bhp, Frozen White,

Partial leather, 6 speed manual,

Auto park assist, Privacy glass.

Titaniumx pack, (Irl version: Led lights

Electric hatch), Full spare,

#5 Central Tech

Central Tech

Older Megger

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:2015 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi

Posted 27 December 2016 - 03:34 PM

attachicon.gifPlug 3.jpg

attachicon.gifPlug 2.jpg

attachicon.gifPlug 1.jpg

Hi rockey85.

I can check but I think that the grey connector in your first 2 piks is for the relay units associated with the

electronics of a towbar. I wonder if the back of the on dash 8" display has a seperate

socket for the camera or is the camera wiring included in the main loom and is connected

in this state?

Yes, that connector is used for the dedicated vehicle wiring loom for the tow-bar.

As the camera is attached to the hatch - (on the 5 door) the camera wiring goes through the rubber conduit at the top of the hatch and then probably through the roof lining to the sync unit.

Edited by Central Tech, 27 December 2016 - 03:35 PM.

2015 Mondeo - Hatchback, Titanium (X pack) 2.0 - Mk 5 TDCi (180) - Powershift - AWD - In Magnetic Grey. - My 6th Mondeo

#6 rockey85

rockey85

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 12:24 AM

POPULAR

Thanks for replying guys, I think you're right about what that connector is for. 

I have been looking on what I can see myself on ECAT and ETIS, this is what I have so far

from this diagram and the parts checked there is only one type of loom which goes down the side of the hatch (the green one) and only one type of the blue loom (17K400 on drawing). The red loom (14A227 on drawing) is specific to whether you have a reversing camera or not

Whole hatch loom (circled).jpg

I have managed to get the drawing of the loom in place from ETIS, I've circled where I think the camera should plug in (I know it's one of the plugs just not sure which)

hatch loom in place (circled).jpg

Through some googling of part numbers from ECAT I managed to get some pictures of the looms in the car, I think one of the plugs I've circled below is where the camera plugs in

Main Hatch loom (circled).jpg

This is the loom (red one 14A227 from above)

Number plate loom minus camera.jpg

and this is the trim on the bootlid with camera installed

Black trim with camera and loom.jpg

and the plugs from it showing one extra plug for the camera (I assume the boot release is on the main plug)

closeup of plugs for number plate loom with camera.jpg

I'm hoping to get out to my car tomorrow and find some sort of analogue video signal to send to the SYNC2 unit via one of the plugs. I'm assuming that it is just going to be a 4 pin plug with pos/neg power and pos/neg video.

@Big Megger

I think you could be right about either a connector or just two wires for video input on the connector at the back of the SYNC2 unit, may look at that if this doesn't work

@Older Megger

from the drawings I've managed to find it looks like you're right, but not sure whether the loom goes through the roof lining or another route. If I could get an electrical drawing for the car it would be so much easier lol

• fordy1 and malford like this

All posts made by myself are provided without warranty or guarantee of the information provided within them. All content posted by myself will remain my sole intellectual property and no rights to this property will be passed to any third party without my express written permission. I will not accept any liability of participants on this website or between myself and talkford.com for any losses of any website user or of talkford.com. Any disputes will be settled and determined using English Law.

#7 fordy1

fordy1

Big Megger

• Gold Member
  • 580 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:2017 Mk5 Tit 150 MT6
  • Name:Brian

Posted 29 December 2016 - 12:56 AM

POPULAR

Just to clarify, here's a pik of the towbar loom connected

to the vacant light grey coloured connector in the boot.

towbar.JPG

Hope it helps. :)

• rockey85 likes this

Titanium+, 2.0 Lt.,150 bhp, Frozen White,

Partial leather, 6 speed manual,

Auto park assist, Privacy glass.

Titaniumx pack, (Irl version: Led lights

Electric hatch), Full spare,

#8 rockey85

rockey85

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 01:43 AM

POPULAR

OK, so after pulling my car boot lid apart today it appears although ECAT shows only one type of loom for the main boot lid my car has a different/altered loom

I am missing some of the plugs on my loom, specifically the missing plug in the smaller circle (which I believe is for the reversing camera). also just to note there is at least one or two plugs missing from inside the bigger circle. 

My Car boot lid loom (circled).jpg

So next attempt is to try and fit a after market camera in the boot lid handle and wire it in to the SYNC 2 unit. I've done a bit more googling and managed to find a pinout of the SYNC 2 fitted to a Ford Focus which I can't imagine to be any different and it shows pins 14 & 15 are for a reversing camera. 

wiringharness SYNC 2.png

I've ordered a wireless camera so will update you all on how it goes when it hopefully arrives on friday. i'm hoping to take power from the rear wiper motor which I have read is constantly live and uses a third wire to switch it and pick up power somewhere behind the SYNC 2

• fordy1 likes this

#9 Jonny hall

Jonny hall

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 2016
  • Name:Jonny hall

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:57 PM

I have the wiring diagram, I know on the estate you'll find the cables behind the rear head lining

#10 Jonny hall

Jonny hall

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 2016
  • Name:Jonny hall

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:00 PM

Screenshot_2017-03-23-19-54-31.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users