Inlet swirl flaps - revisions and options? - Page 4 - Exhausts / Induction (Mk3 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Inlet swirl flaps - revisions and options?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 PURPLE_2L_LX

PURPLE_2L_LX

Mk3 Forum Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 29167 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:MK4.5 TDCI 140

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:15 PM

Lots are running without the flaps, its bound to affect the efficiency at low revs

but is it enough for you ro actually feel in day to day use?

Check under your manifold to see of you have a control linkage that changes the

flaps position. No linkage then no flaps.

Isnt the Focus a cambelt driven engine so not exactly the same as the Mondeo.

MK4.5 TDCI 140 Business Estate.

MK3 FUSE INFO CLICK HERE ... FORD WIKI CLICK HERE .... FORD ETIS CLICK HERE

Adding your location may find someone local who could offer assistance.

F-Super, Bluetooth OBDII (ELM) and a MS509 scanners (test subjects required).

ForDiag now available to victims.

#32 arcon

arcon

I could do with a profile pic

• Members
  • 1855 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Ford Mondeo 02

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:21 PM

POPULAR

The difference will hardly be noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1.8s have belts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • siruncle likes this

#33 badmonkey

badmonkey

Big Megger

• Members
  • 665 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Mk III
  • Name:Craig

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:11 AM

Hello guys,

i have Ford focus c-max 1.8, 2004, 120, Duratec. I can hear a rattling noise coming somewhere around the engine (maybe from intake manifold) and the other thing is that the car doesnt have power at low revs. When i speed up, there is no problem. I have changed so far cars` coils and the spark plugs. Can you tell me:

1. Does my car have the notorious problem with the swirl flaps and is there a chance to happen in the near future because is written only about Mondeo. I think that it is the same engine but no one talked about Focus or focus c-max.

2. If there is a chance to happen, what should i change? Only Inlet Manifold Flaps - part N:1317276?

Should i change also part N:1317278 x 2? I can`t find this part nowhere on ebay or amazon.co.uk

3. What will happen if i remove the swirl flaps and seal the hole like you have written here? I asked several people and they told me that the car will become slow with no power. They had tried this and that was the result?

I will appreciate any help!

Thank you

That is a Duratec HE?

To answer your Q's you are best going through this thread as I basically worked through the same. And if you haven't seen it already, watch my video which I did once I had worked everything out.

Nb. there are separate videos on the manifold removal/reinstall and PCV components.

In short - all parts should be replaced, and my conclusion was it was actually the bushings that cause the problem, new flaps with worn or absent bushings will just themselves wear out fast - problem is the bushings are stupid expensive on their own from Ford, and by the time you add the flaps, gaskets, and probably some PCV components that will want doing at the same time, you are close to the spend required for a full manifold kit.

So the alternative is to just delete flaps entirely, total cost close to zero :) You may lose some idle and low RPM performance and efficiency, but on a 2004 car it's probably not worth obsessing about.

Mondeo 2002 liftback 2.0 Duratec auto in Panther Black

My YouTube channel

#34 Mike_Chr

Mike_Chr

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Mk.IV
  • Name:Mike Christelow

Posted 21 August 2017 - 04:15 PM

Hi Folks,

Just been reading through this thread as...

...On my Mondeo Mk.IV (2008, petrol, 70k mileage) the engine warning light came on today. The Ford Dealer garage wants £80 for a diagnostic check, so I took it to an independent garage whose diagnostic check reported "Intake Manifold Control Flaps" as the error, and were happy to do so for no charge. I gave then £10 for their trouble.

The Ford Dealer says I need a new manifold, cost with Labour and Parts = £780. 

The independent garage recommended modding the ECU s/ware to ignore the sourcde error condition, on the basis that the car will run just as well without them, total cost £180ish.

Presently the car is running fine with no noticeable change in performance at any speed or idling.

So, my questions are:

1. Is "Intake Manifold Control Flaps" the same as "swirl flaps" as this thread is titled?
  2. If not, what's the difference (just for my own understanding)?
  3. Is the suggestion from my indie garage operator worth pursuing?

£800 seems a lot for a 2008 vehicle, which I am obliged to keep running for a few years yet (it'll be a long while before the piggybank has enough for a Mk.V  :lol:

All opinions gratefully received. I should add btw that the warning light went off after the run to the Ford Dealer garage!

Mike

Edited by Mike_Chr, 21 August 2017 - 04:19 PM.

#35 vieplis

vieplis

vieplis

• Lifetime Gold Member
  • 803 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Mk1+Mk4

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:40 AM

In a rush, no time to write until the next week or the week thereafter, therefore for the time being just two links for some reading:

http://www.talkford....ps-mk4-duratec/, notably the last post by RB2004;

http://www.talkford....trol-dtc-p2008/.

No vehicle deserves the miserable fate inflicted upon it by a self-righteous or "business-minded" Professional. #DIY, #DoItRight
[2007.07. onwards] LHD '2007 Mondeo Mk4 - 2.0 Duratec HE 145PS - TitaniumX
[2006.04. onwards] LHD '1994 Mondeo Mk1 - 2.0 Zetec-E (silvertop) 136PS - Si
[2004.10.-2009.01] LHD '1993 Mondeo Mk1 - 1.8 Zetec-E (silvertop) 115PS - GLX - road life ended

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)