Inlet swirl flaps - revisions and options? - Page 3 - Exhausts / Induction (Mk3 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Inlet swirl flaps - revisions and options?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 badmonkey

badmonkey

Big Megger

• Members
  • 665 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Mk III
  • Name:Craig

Posted 20 January 2016 - 12:31 PM

POPULAR

I have a focus 2.0 duratec he. Can I help at all

Pull the intake manifold off and tell us if the flap and bushing hardware is the same as on the Mondy :)

Seriously are you familiar with its flaps?

• Jim1978 likes this

Mondeo 2002 liftback 2.0 Duratec auto in Panther Black

My YouTube channel

#22 Jim1978

Jim1978

TF regular

• Members
  • 999 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Ford focus titanium
  • Name:Jim

Posted 20 January 2016 - 08:11 PM

I'm not bud. I was led to believe the focus didn't have flaps but you learn something new. I think eucat shows the focus to not have them but I'm probably wrong

#23 RB2004

RB2004

Click4 - What will you Click4 today?

• Members
  • 1481 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 08:22 PM

POPULAR

Inlet manifold runner control is different to swirl flaps, probably won't have swirl flaps if it has imrc because the dual tract setup operates differently, it diverts inlet air through either a long Tract or a short one depending on revs. But it still uses flaps just for a different purpose
  • Jim1978 likes this

#24 RB2004

RB2004

• Members
  • 1481 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 08:24 PM

If it has imrc flaps it won't be available separately because they are deep inside the manifold and installed before the 2 halves welded together.

#25 RB2004

RB2004

• Members
  • 1481 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 08:26 PM

POPULAR

Looks like 2.0 duratec he on 2007 mondeo does have imrc.

So likely the others do too.
http://workshop-manu...imrc)_actuator/

So Yes they still look to have flaps, no they aren't swirl flaps like on the earlier Duratec HE Engines found on MK3 Mondeo, no ford did not delete swirl flaps because they was useless... they just replaced them with an IMRC System instead utilising a dual tract setup, long and short inlet manifold tracts... and switches between the 2 using flaps which aren't serviceable as they are moulded inside the manifold.

http://workshop-manu...imrc)_actuator/

Edited by RB2004, 20 January 2016 - 08:47 PM.

• Jim1978 likes this

#26 badmonkey

badmonkey

Big Megger

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 05:24 AM

RB2004. Did you look at the linked US forum above. The guy is working on and de-flapping what I think is a 2007 Focus. It has swirl flaps that as far as I can see are identical to the Mondy's.

Flapremoval1.jpg

My YouTube channel

#27 badmonkey

badmonkey

Big Megger

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 05:45 AM

For example. Look at this eBay listing.

http://www.ebay.com/...gRVuAdm&vxp=mtr

I realize the link may not be permanently active so just search US ebay for "ford focus intake manifold" and see what you find.

Complete with flaps and gaskets, US$220.

My YouTube channel

#28 RB2004

RB2004

• Members
  • 1481 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:05 PM

POPULAR

Nope didn't see that and haven't seen or removed one from a newer mondeo or focus.

I just know they have imrc, and was going by somebody posting that the manifolds don't have flaps.

So assumed that ford had removed them and just started using imrc.

If they have swirl flaps as well then they have 2 sets of flaps rather than 1.

I know the imrc ones are inside manifold itself lower down and switch between the 2x tracts, ford developed that tech on the st170 focus originally.
  • Jim1978 likes this

#29 siruncle

siruncle

munching bananas

• Global Moderator
  • 19001 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:St150
  • Name:Pete

Posted 22 January 2016 - 08:14 PM

Nope didn't see that and haven't seen or removed one from a newer mondeo or focus.

I just know they have imrc, and was going by somebody posting that the manifolds don't have flaps.

So assumed that ford had removed them and just started using imrc.

If they have swirl flaps as well then they have 2 sets of flaps rather than 1.

I know the imrc ones are inside manifold itself lower down and switch between the 2x tracts, ford developed that tech on the st170 focus originally.

the duratec v6 in the mk1 mondeo was the first ford with imrc iirc.

<p><p>From Rutland, Leicestershire or Northamptonshire? Join the Rutland Group, http://www.talkford....land-area-page/ Leicestershire, http://www.talkford....leicestershire/ or Northamptonshire, http://www.talkford....rthamptonshire/2000 (W) Mondeo Mk2 Ghia 2.0 Hatch in Stardust Silver, now has company, a 2000 (W) Transit Smiley :) 2.5di (ish), in diamond white, with a blue stripe. (pics coming soon). Also 05 Fiesta St150 in colorado red. This is Ford country, listen quietly and you can hear Vauxhalls rusting :)

#30 Eastbourne

Eastbourne

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Ford focus c-max 1.8
  • Name:GM

Posted 20 May 2017 - 03:22 PM

Hello guys,

i have Ford focus c-max 1.8, 2004, 120, Duratec. I can hear a rattling noise coming somewhere around the engine (maybe from intake manifold) and the other thing is that the car doesnt have power at low revs. When i speed up, there is no problem. I have changed so far cars` coils and the spark plugs. Can you tell me:

1. Does my car have the notorious problem with the swirl flaps and is there a chance to happen in the near future because is written only about Mondeo. I think that it is the same engine but no one talked about Focus or focus c-max.

2. If there is a chance to happen, what should i change? Only Inlet Manifold Flaps - part N:1317276?

Should i change also part N:1317278 x 2? I can`t find this part nowhere on ebay or amazon.co.uk

3. What will happen if i remove the swirl flaps and seal the hole like you have written here? I asked several people and they told me that the car will become slow with no power. They had tried this and that was the result?

I will appreciate any help!

Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users