euro 5 or 6? - Diesel Engines (Mk5 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

euro 5 or 6?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 herrbohnen

herrbohnen

grumpy old git

• Members
  • 2271 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk.5 tit estate 4x 4

Posted 07 December 2015 - 07:50 PM

Just had my V5 through and it states euro 6 , mines the 2 litre diesel. I thought you had to use that blue additive with the

Edited by herrbohnen, 07 December 2015 - 08:16 PM.

#2 gregs24

gregs24

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 294 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Ford Mustang

Posted 08 December 2015 - 05:58 PM

Just had my V5 through and it states euro 6 , mines the 2 litre diesel. I thought you had to use that blue additive with the

with the ......

No Adblue is used by some manufacturers but isn't essential to achieve Euro 6

#3 herrbohnen

herrbohnen

grumpy old git

• Members
  • 2271 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk.5 tit estate 4x 4

Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:43 PM

Ok ta. For a horrible moment there I thought it had some hidden tank somewhere id missed

#4 TreborB

TreborB

8 gears or more please

• Members
  • 5337 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:BMW 320i M Sport
  • Name:TrevorB

Posted 09 December 2015 - 01:49 PM

I bet Volkswagen wish they had

BMW 320i M Sport 2019 Mineral Grey, Steptronic 8 speed ZF Auto

( Sorry but NO 2.3 Ecoboost 8 Speed Auto Mondeo's to be found!)

Focus 2018 Mk3.5, 1 Litre Ecoboost 140ps ST Line, SYNC3 Sat Nav, Parking Sensors, Colour Magnetic - Gifted to the Wife! Then Sold Aug 2019

Mondeo Mk5 Titanium 2L Ecoboost 240ps, X Pack, Body Kit, Rear Spoiler, 19" Alloys, LED Headlamps, Sony 12 Spkr Audio, Park Assist, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, Magnetic, Built Sept 2015,Sold Oct 2018.

Mondeo TitaniumX Sport 240ps 2L Ecoboost Powershift 2011 - Sold 2016 But Never Forgotten.

2007 - 2010, 4 New Focus ST225s

#5 Spare Wheel

Spare Wheel

TF regular

• Members
  • 900 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo

Posted 09 December 2015 - 03:19 PM

As far as I understand the VW fiasco - and there have been contradictory reports, some of which make little sense, so apologise if I've put this together wrongly - what you got with your Euro 5 VW depends on the size of the car and possibly the market.

For the big ones, they did fit the Ad Blue tank/system, but, for the smaller ones they 'judged' that they couldn't fit something 2/3 the size of the fuel tank, and didn't. That's not illegal, as the regs specify the results that you should reach and not the way that you should reach them, and EGR works as a way of reducing NOx, so that part is fine.

The trouble is that both of these systems also have negative effects; if you use EGR (in a Diesel), it increases fuel consumption, so you probably want to do that as little as possible, and may decrease performance. If you use Adblue, well you use Adblue and you'd either want a really big Adblue tank (so that it can be dealt with at service time, and that can be two years for VWs, and VW servicing is already expensive), or you'd need to keep topping it up, and it is a noticeable cost. 

Now, some of the VW hierarchy got a bit over-enthusiastic about claiming that they would produce cars that would just achieve better figures than anyone else could manage for a similar size of vehicle, engine, etc, and the only way that the engineers could reach all of the requirements was to cheat. The outcome has been painfully obvious.

The Euro 6 VWs didn't have this problem, but this is no indication of what any other manufacturer did to meet the Euro 6 requirements.

#6 tazzman600

tazzman600

Clever cloggs

• Members
  • 2148 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk4.5 tit x sport
  • Name:Mad Vlad

Posted 09 December 2015 - 04:18 PM

A workmate has an adblue tank in his car (don't know what it is tho) and he saw me fill my truck with it and told me of his car and that it was a 2 litre tank.
The new Jaguar XE diesel had an adblue tank. It's filler is in the boot. I've had a good look at one and yes I want one but can't afford one.

#7 steve_j

steve_j

Big Megger

• Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 09:04 PM

if you use EGR (in a Diesel), it increases fuel consumption,

There's no reason it should do that, rather the reverse. The reason for using EGR is to allow a very lean mixture at low speeds, which otherwise increases temperature and NOx output. You can avoid EGR by increasing fuelling, but that increases fuel consumption, and so CO2, which is why VW cheated. They presumably wanted to keep the cars both under NOX limits, and in a low CO2 tax band, doing both isn't easy.

Edited by steve_j, 09 December 2015 - 09:05 PM.

#8 steve_j

steve_j

Big Megger

• Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 09:07 PM

A workmate has an adblue tank in his car (don't know what it is tho) and he saw me fill my truck with it and told me of his car and that it was a 2 litre tank.

I think 20 litres is more likely, that's what mine is. Supposedly needs to be filled every 15-20K miles or so, at about 25 quid a go. I'll find out when I get that far :)

#9 chriscatt

chriscatt

MEG Sergeant

• Members
  • 5364 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:A4 & 2018 Fiesta

Posted 10 December 2015 - 06:42 PM

Pee it seems is not free..
2017 Fiesta Titanium X
5-Door
1.0L 100ps Ecoboost
Ruby Red
Panoramic Roof
Active Park Assist

#10 steve_j

steve_j

Big Megger

• Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 09:23 PM

Pee it seems is not free..

It's those pints of priming fluid from the pub that cost a fortune...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users