Bluetooth/VC upgrade - In-Car Entertainment (Mk4 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Bluetooth/VC upgrade

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Oates

Steve Oates

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:08 Mondeo Zetec
  • Name:Steven Oates

Posted 21 November 2015 - 08:55 PM

POPULAR

Hi fellas

I've joined the Talkford website/forum as a last attempt to get the Bluetooth and voice control working on my 08 Mondeo. I've read loads of posts but none seem to have the exact answer to my problem.

The problem is that the bluetooth almost works as in the stereo displays song details, album name etc but there is no sound from the speakers. The VC doesn't work at all, the stalk brings up 'Voice' on the display but no beep is heard and it doesn't react to my voice no matter what I say!

The details are;

Car - Mondeo 1.8 TDCI Zetec

Build date - April '08

Not Converse+ or Sat Nav.

Sony 6 Disc stereo (not DAB)

Firmware  - 05-06-02

Bluetooth module - 8M5T-19C-112AR with usb

Microphone fitted (not sony)

Wiring looms factory fitted

I've even used ELM config to adjust the BCM as shown in the pic attached below;

gif.gif  BCM.bmp   906.71KB   8 downloads

The grey jumper plug behind the glovebox isn't present, could someone please tell me what jumper wires go where on this plug for the stereo/BTmodule shown above?

Also, I think I saw somewhere that the 3.5mm Aux plug wiring requires modification, but all the links to wiring diags on TF are now dead.

Any help would be much appreciated and will save me spending £100+ on a Parrot, which I don't want to do as I've just forked out £1100+ on a new steering rack, 2 pumps (don't ask!) and a reservoir!!

Many thanks in advance for your help

Steve

• Tippmondy likes this

#2 Mazo

Mazo

TF regular

• Members
  • 1383 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:2008 Mk4 Mondeo

Posted 25 November 2015 - 04:22 PM

HFAACVZ.jpg

I believe that's the correct wiring diagram.

f4O6290.jpg

And off the top of my head that's the correct plug for the nav headunit.

Could be wrong, been a while.

Other people have mentioned they've had issues with the voice control not working as the module may need programming with your vehicles VIN to use VC. Phone calls should work without though.

Edited by Mazo, 25 November 2015 - 04:23 PM.

#3 The Artilleryman

The Artilleryman

Big Megger

• Members
  • 899 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo mk4.5 Tit

Posted 26 November 2015 - 11:49 AM

I was one of the first owners to fit BT/USB to a non BT/USB Mondeo.

Firstly, ignore the wiring diagram above Ground Loop Isolator not needed - this was on a very early Mondeo that had interference problems, long since been addressed by updated BT/VC modules.

If your Mondeo has the harness already fitted, there will be one of two types of jumper plug socket fitted the square one above or a longer one.

You WILL need the correct wiring diagrams to sort out the wiring.- the Haynes manual ones are less than useless.

Try looking back for my retrofit articles.

I've since moved on thro a Focus mk3 to a Mondeo mk4.5 and don't have any of the old paperwork and I've changed hobbies totally, more into model engineering these days.

Mondeo mk1
Mondeo mk2
Mondeo mk3
Mondeo mk3 facelift
Mondeo mk4

Focus mk3 125ps Candy Red with city pack

Mondeo mk4.5 Titanium

#4 dutchguy

dutchguy

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 421 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Ford Mondeo mk4 2.5t
  • Name:Lars

Posted 26 November 2015 - 01:38 PM

The interference problem is not solved on newer usb modules, because thats not where the problem lies.

Old versions of the NX navi had problems with the line-input. This was fixed on the late 2008 models (wich featured usb from factory).

To get on topic; you need a differently wired connector/plug behind the dash.

The one above is for the old (mono) bluetooth setup.

Don't know the partno, sorry.

Edited by dutchguy, 26 November 2015 - 01:43 PM.

#5 The Artilleryman

The Artilleryman

Big Megger

• Members
  • 899 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo mk4.5 Tit

Posted 26 November 2015 - 03:43 PM

It's a long time since I did this work (5 - 6 years ago), but the 8 pin socket/plug only controlled the microphone wiring.

The later 16 ? pin plug/socket controlled microphone AND speaker wiring.

If your Mondeo is fitted with the 8 pin plug/socket there is a lot of work involved.

If your Mondeo has the later 16 pin plug/socket, all you need is the correct plug.

I believe the wiring diagrams used to say upto 02/08 and from 03/08, but I think the change date may have been 08/08, not too sure about this.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but when I down sized to the Focus I foolishly ditched all my Mondeo files (then I had to upsize to tow a large trailer OOPS).

Edited by The Artilleryman, 26 November 2015 - 03:45 PM.

Mondeo mk1
Mondeo mk2
Mondeo mk3
Mondeo mk3 facelift
Mondeo mk4

Focus mk3 125ps Candy Red with city pack

Mondeo mk4.5 Titanium

#6 nimrooz

nimrooz

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo MK4 TitX

Posted 28 November 2015 - 08:36 PM

The interference problem is not solved on newer usb modules, because thats not where the problem lies.
Old versions of the NX navi had problems with the line-input. This was fixed on the late 2008 models (wich featured usb from factory).

And this is correct, I've never got around to buy a "ground loop insulator" so still have that whining, haha :P
-come to think about it, I should do something about it, Hmmm, I should...
Need IDS in eastern Norway? - contact me through pm.

#7 Steve Oates

Steve Oates

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 08:46 AM

Morning Chaps

Firstly thanks for all the replies.

Looking at what everyone's said along with stuff I've already gleaned from this forum, I'm going to try to wire the bluetooth module to the Aux wiring first to see how that goes, I've got a Russian (?) wiring diagram that seems to mostly agree with yours Mazo.

Then I'll have a dabble at my 8 pin little grey plug wiring when I can summon the enthusiasm to stick my head back up under the dash!

If I make any progress I'll post it so anyone and everyone can benefit from our/your genius!.......?

PS Artilleryman, if I every need help on model engineering I'll know where to come! :biggrin: You're a big loss to the Mondeo mk4 forum world!!

Wish me luck!

#8 Steve Oates

Steve Oates

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 04:37 PM

Hi chaps

Can someone quickly confirm that the USB Bluetooth module only has 14 connections/wires going into it please? (as shown in attached diag)

My wiring loom has a total of 25 wires, not all of them in the positions required. Therefore I'm contemplating removing the redundant connectors and using them to connect to the new positions....if you know what I mean?

Any help would be really appreciated.......before I start snipping!!

Bluetooth mod wiring.jpg

Many thanks

Steve

#9 dutchguy

dutchguy

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 421 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Ford Mondeo mk4 2.5t
  • Name:Lars

Posted 11 December 2015 - 09:06 AM

You can saffely remove the other wires/pins.

They are used by a factory fitted phone-cradle, wich most people dont have anyway.

Dont worry about overlapping pin numbers, above schematic is correct.

#10 Steve Oates

Steve Oates

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 08:52 AM

Morning fellas

Thanks for the reassurance dutchguy.

Right, massive step forward, I now have fully functional bluetooth with sound and everything! I followed the wiring diag above by snipping the aux plug wires and rewiring the plug to the wires already in pins 37,38 and 19 in the BT/USB module (19 being the black audio earth wire).

The 3 wires left, originally connecting the aux plug to the stereo now needed to be connected to pins 5,6 and 23 in the BT/USB module, but unfortunately there were no pin terminals in my wiring loom plug. so after getting 'the nod' from dutchguy I removed the little pin terminals from positions 52,53 and 54 in the loom plug (apparently redundant) and fitted them into positions 5,6 and 23 in the module. I then snipped them from the loom and connected them to the old aux plug wires (23 being the black audio earth).

And hey presto! I had working bluetooth!

All the remaining loose wires I just bent back and taped up to the loom out of harms way..

Regarding the Voice Control, I now get the beep when I press the stalk along with all the voice commands, but my voice is still not detected. This didn't bother me that much as I was still giddy from getting the bluetooth working! But the plan now is to find out where the wires currently fitted in terminals 3 & 4 in the BT/USB module are actually going, as there clearly aren't connected (directly) to the microphone.

Thanks for everyone's help with getting me this far!!

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users