Are the LED adaptive headlights supposed to be so bright ? - Security / Safety (Mk5 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

Photo

Are the LED adaptive headlights supposed to be so bright ?

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1 xyzMk5

xyzMk5

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Mk5

Posted 02 October 2015 - 09:15 PM

It's a crazy question I know, but are the LED adaptive headlights on the Mk5 supposed to be as bright as they are ?

Driving along country roads at night it's like it's daytime, and I'm lighting up motorway signs for everyone to see whatever lane I'm in when commuting. The light patch that I'm used to seeing in front on me on the ground from driving previous cars now stretches into the distance and also up vertically into the air a couple of feet all around me.

Now whilst this is all very good for me (apart from being annoying every time I go over a bump and I see the light patch move up and down on the signs ahead which is distracting) it's actually causing a serious issue in that I'm getting flashed regularly by oncoming drivers so I must be a dazzling them.

I've checked and I don't have full beam on (the dashboard indicator is lit up green, and when I put high beam on things get even brighter) so it must be the lights are just very bright.

I can't see anything to adjust the angle and from reading it all looks to be computer controlled anyway.

Does anyone else have any experience of these lights ? Is this brightness normal, or could mine be mis-aligned somehow ?

#2 siebek

siebek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo MkV 2.0TDCi

Posted 03 October 2015 - 12:42 PM

It looks like your headlights are misaligned. Most of complaints about LED headlights in Mondeo are related to short distance/low angle of beam.

It is possible to change the angle manually by turning adjustment screws on the headlight. There is one for vertical adjustment and one for horizontal adjustment.

Current car:

2015 Ford Mondeo Mk5 2.0TDCi 150HP Titanium X estate

Previous cars:

- 2007 Ford Mondeo Mk4 1.8TDCi 125HP Titanium

- 2003 Mazda 6 GY 1.8 120HP

- Peugeot 106 1.1 60HP

#3 hammie14

hammie14

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo mk5 Estate
  • Name:Rob

Posted 03 October 2015 - 02:02 PM

You should not have to touch the adjustment screws this is not a good idea!!!!! 

Go in to the settings and see if you have the LED lights setup for the correct side of the road you drive on! 

On the Trip computer go to setting > Driver assist > Lighting > Adaptive Headlights > Road Setup > Left Hand or Right hand!

If you have them set of left hand they will lower, Right hand set slightly higher!  

#4 Bigcol1

Bigcol1

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo '18 210ps
  • Name:Colin

Posted 07 October 2015 - 04:59 PM

Once you have the correct settings and you still have an issue the manual adjustment is easy. There are many drawings on the net to show you the beam pattern required. Just ensure you put your lights in manual mode ( not auto), then use the white adjustment points ( Allen key is easier) to align the beams to the standard pattern. Switch back to auto when finished.

#5 fordy1

fordy1

Big Megger

• Gold Member
  • 586 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:2021 Mk5 StLine
  • Name:Brian

Posted 07 October 2015 - 05:17 PM

Hi All.

Just a tip here. If you leave the switch to manual and not auto, the lights stay

at a set position.

By that I mean, they go out of this adaptive/swivelling, whatever

you want to call it and perform like a standard headlamp. I've heard

some drivers saying that when turning corners and on winding roads,

that this adaptive technology is distracting and annoying.

Personally, I've gotten used to it.

Titanium+, 2.0 Lt.,150 bhp, Frozen White,

Partial leather, 6 speed manual,

Auto park assist, Privacy glass.

Titaniumx pack, (Irl version: Led lights

Electric hatch), Full spare,

#6 xyzMk5

xyzMk5

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Mk5

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:49 PM

So I fixed this by going into the settings as follows:

Settings -> Vehicle -> Lighting -> Adaptive headlamps -> Traffic setup -> Right hand traffic

Light are now pointed much lower to the ground and the general pattern matches what I've always seen before on cars. It's still brighter than previous cars as these LED lights are very good, and the adaptive part helps at speed/cornering but finally I'm not giving other drivers a tan.

Note: I am in UK, so it's correct to have oncoming traffic on the right hand side of the road!

#7 gregs24

gregs24

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 294 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Ford Mustang

Posted 11 October 2015 - 08:55 PM

Hi All.

Just a tip here. If you leave the switch to manual and not auto, the lights stay

at a set position.

Do you mean the light switch from auto to manual ? Certainly with auto high beam off the dipped beam is still dynamic.

I adjusted my lights up quite significantly using the manual adjustment but still don't get any complaints from oncoming drivers so they must be fine. The patterns are very different from normal bulbs / xenons and seem to light up either side of the road to several feet and yet the middle of the beam is dipped enough to avoid dazzling. I just wish the main beam was brighter. My Mk4.5 with bi-xenons was much better on main beam, and the static cornering lights were better than the dynamic beams when turning into a side road / driveway. When I went to France this summer I used the controls to change the dip side and all worked fine over there.

#8 yessuz

yessuz

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 106 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Hybrid
  • Name:Simonas

Posted 11 October 2015 - 10:21 PM

So I fixed this by going into the settings as follows:

Settings -> Vehicle -> Lighting -> Adaptive headlamps -> Traffic setup -> Right hand traffic

Light are now pointed much lower to the ground and the general pattern matches what I've always seen before on cars. It's still brighter than previous cars as these LED lights are very good, and the adaptive part helps at speed/cornering but finally I'm not giving other drivers a tan.

Note: I am in UK, so it's correct to have oncoming traffic on the right hand side of the road!

so, for UK setting should be Right Hand Traffic and for the Continent - Left Hand?

#9 fordy1

fordy1

Big Megger

• Gold Member
  • 586 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 11:01 PM

Hi All.

at a set position.

Do you mean the light switch from auto to manual ? Certainly with auto high beam off the dipped beam is still dynamic.

I adjusted my lights up quite significantly using the manual adjustment but still don't get any complaints from oncoming drivers so they must be fine. The patterns are very different from normal bulbs / xenons and seem to light up either side of the road to several feet and yet the middle of the beam is dipped enough to avoid dazzling. I just wish the main beam was brighter. My Mk4.5 with bi-xenons was much better on main beam, and the static cornering lights were better than the dynamic beams when turning into a side road / driveway. When I went to France this summer I used the controls to change the dip side and all worked fine over there.

Hi gregs24.

The auto full beam is a seperate issue in that you select or deselect the function

in the settings menu from the steering wheel toggle switches.

Two images here might explain what I mean.

FIG 1.jpg

FIG 2.jpg

#10 fordy1

fordy1

Big Megger

• Gold Member
  • 586 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 11:22 PM

POPULAR

Hi All.

As led head lights are being discussed, I found it strange when switching over

to left hand traffic that the beams raised to a higher level. Lik gregs24, I travelled

to France and was looking forward to not having to root out the lamps as I did in

the previous car with xenons to adjust them.

So I navigated to the settings as xyzMk5 above. Then at night time I found that

I was blinding our EU neighbours as the lights were set too high. I had to pull up

and face a wall and adjust them down with a screwdriver. Surely that left hand setting

is a mirror of right hand setting and vice versa? When I returned to UK and reverted

back the lights were too low as a result of me adjusting them in France.

It would be interesting to see if any TalkFord member who has led lamps and is left hand

drive has a similar experience. Going on what I said then, their lights would lower when

they select 'Right Hand Traffic'.

The Ford dealer has no answer at this time in relation to that.

• novopucho likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users