Engine trepidation at stop - Diesel Engines (Mk5 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Engine trepidation at stop

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 simistef

simistef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Mk5

Posted 31 August 2015 - 11:19 AM

I have just noticed that during a stay at a traffic light, the engine felt different. I looked at the RPM indicator and saw this:

It started again at the next stop...The car was in D mode with foot on brake pedal. At the next stop i put it into P mode and took the foot off the pedal, but still the same.

AC was ON, outside temp 32 degrees Celsius, SS ON.

Anyone had this before ? Planning a trip to the Service now.

#2 allthemondeos

allthemondeos

Ford Fan

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk5 Mondeo
  • Name:Noel

Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:31 PM

I've had this too, only happened once so far, my car is manual so the issue is probably not gearbox related,I have the 180PS 2.0 diesel, which engine do you have? Let me know if you find anything out from service, I'll do likewise.

Black 5dr 2018 Mondeo Titanium 2.0 TDCi Powershift

#3 chriscatt

chriscatt

MEG Sergeant

• Members
  • 5364 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:A4 & 2018 Fiesta

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:33 PM

Perhaps because the outside temp was high the CC was working overtime to cool the cabin down if the temp setting was too low. If it's a diesel then suspect a regen...
2017 Fiesta Titanium X
5-Door
1.0L 100ps Ecoboost
Ruby Red
Panoramic Roof
Active Park Assist

#4 allthemondeos

allthemondeos

Ford Fan

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 05:28 PM

I picked up my car on the 9th April and this first happened on the 29th April, I'm not sure if the car could need a regen in that short duration, but I presume not? And in my case it definitely couldn't be because the outside temp was high, it was April, in Ireland, 32 is more likely to be the mm's of rain that fell that day than the temperature. I did have A/C on though, I always do. I asked the Dealer to have a look, they plugged it in and it didn't show any errors so they're at a loss too. Hasn't happened in a while though.

#5 arcon

arcon

I could do with a profile pic

• Members
  • 1855 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Ford Mondeo 02

Posted 31 August 2015 - 05:55 PM

Saw what exactly :s

Higher idle?
Normal with ac on

#6 chriscatt

chriscatt

MEG Sergeant

• Members
  • 5364 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:22 PM

The ecu determines when a dmf regeneration is due and a rise of the tickover and a change of tone in the engine is normal and this can often happen more frequently on short journeys and will continue until it is successful. The tickover may raise also if the CC is having to work overtime..
2017 Fiesta Titanium X
5-Door
1.0L 100ps Ecoboost
Ruby Red
Panoramic Roof
Active Park Assist

#7 colmar

colmar

Bigger Megger than before

• Members
  • 562 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk4.5 Mondeo TitX
  • Name:Colin

Posted 02 September 2015 - 04:37 PM

The ecu determines when a dmf regeneration is due and a rise of the tickover and a change of tone in the engine is normal and this can often happen more frequently on short journeys and will continue until it is successful. The tickover may raise also if the CC is having to work overtime..

No. The need for a regeneration is dictated not by the ECU but by the diesel particulate filter (DPF not DMF) itself. This in turn triggers the ECU to increase exhaust temperature and additional fuel injection to ensure that the stored diesel particulate (soot particles) is burnt off.

#8 chriscatt

chriscatt

MEG Sergeant

• Members
  • 5364 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 05:18 PM

Yes the ecu takes its readings from the sensor in the dmf, however it will be the ecu which decides if the conditions are correct to perform a regen. This is the reason why sometimes regens fail or that regens are happening more often because of the driving conditions. Surely a sensor on its own cannot make decisions and only tell the ecu the condition of the filter?

Edited by chriscatt, 02 September 2015 - 05:24 PM.

2017 Fiesta Titanium X
5-Door
1.0L 100ps Ecoboost
Ruby Red
Panoramic Roof
Active Park Assist

#9 colmar

colmar

Bigger Megger than before

• Members
  • 562 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk4.5 Mondeo TitX
  • Name:Colin

Posted 02 September 2015 - 05:37 PM

Yes the ecu takes its readings from the sensor in the dmf, however it will be the ecu which decides if the conditions are correct to perform a regen. This is the reason why sometimes regens fail or that regens are happening more often because of the driving conditions. Surely a sensor on its own cannot make decisions and only tell the ecu the condition of the filter?

There are none so blind...................................................

#10 allthemondeos

allthemondeos

Ford Fan

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 06:46 PM

POPULAR

Saw what exactly :s

Higher idle?
Normal with ac on

Not just saw. You can see the rev needle fluctuate slightly but you can also feel it. It's like a lumpy idle, it is not constant. If you put your foot down slightly the revs rise and stay constant, but if you lift off and let it idle, it fluctuates again. Mine hasn't done it in over 3 months now so fingers crossed it stays that way.
  • simistef likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users