Water in the electrics? - Electrical (Mk4 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Water in the electrics?

navigation low battery warning light

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Pigfeet

Pigfeet

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk 3 Focus
  • Name:Martin

Posted 02 August 2015 - 12:42 PM

Dec 2014 Mk4 1.6 Dti Mondeo.  Yesterday I drove on a motorway in the rain to the supermarket and all was well, however when I got back into the car the Navigation had a blue screen and the little red pointer but no map, when I looked at the number of satellites it showed zero, and the message came up, something along the lines of make sure you are on a digitised road.  I tried restarting both it and the engine and made sure I was on a "digitised road" but, still navigation not working.  In addition the battery warning light came on with the message "low Battery", so two possibly associated electrical problems.  From the information I have seen on this and other sites, it appears to point towards damp getting into the electrics.  However, this morning the navigation and the battery warning have both resolved themselves, so it really does point at water getting into the circuits, I have looked under the bonnet but I cannot see any water around the fuses, etc,

Nan anyone tell me where is the most likely place where water getting in could cause the problems please?  Thanks in advance.

#2 mondeoman1987

mondeoman1987

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 09:39 PM

POPULAR

Ariel base on the roof is where you want to be looking, it seems to be a common issue with some of the GPS Ariel bases unfortunately the only cure would be to get a new base as this is where the GPS receiver is housed

Good luck
  • Pigfeet likes this

#3 apollogary

apollogary

MEG Corporal

• Gold Member
  • 1543 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo
  • Name:Gary

Posted 03 August 2015 - 10:00 PM

POPULAR

Ariel base on the roof is where you want to be looking, it seems to be a common issue with some of the GPS Ariel bases unfortunately the only cure would be to get a new base as this is where the GPS receiver is housed

Good luck

On a 2014 mondeo, it won't have a roof mounted aerial. Its on the windscreen behind the rain sensor cover.

If it came up with "low battery" and the engine was off, That's quite common and probably nothing to worry about. The battery monitoring is very sensitive. its possible your battery is on its way out, but unless it starts happening every day, I would ignore it. Hopefully the sat nav problem was just a blip

• Pigfeet likes this

2008 2.0 TDCI Ghia Auto in Kelp
18" alloys, full biscuit leather,8 way electric climate seats, sunroof, NX nav, voice, keyless start, F & R PDC, TPMS, privacy glass
Mods.
Facelift convers+. Rear door roller blinds. Rear footwell lights. Rear Ambient lighting. USB, bluetooth & BT streaming. Memory drivers seat and mirrors. Auto folding mirrors with indicators. Door warning lights front and rear. Variable heated rear seats. PTC electric heater. Facelift front and rear bumpers and bonnet with DRLs and  headlight washers. Facelift tailgate and rear LED lights. 
Keyless Entry. Power child locks, Cooled glove box, Air Quality Sensor, Facelift MCA2 with 9 speakers, DAB and Ford rear view camera. Facelift upper and centre console trims and upper door panel trims in walnut.
Adaptive Cruise Control, Forward Alert & Hill Launch Assist. Xenon Lights. Interactive Vehicle Dynamic Control. Electric Park Brake, Rear Seat Entertainment, 13 pin Detachable Tow Bar and Module 

Photos in Gallery

#4 Pigfeet

Pigfeet

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:48 AM

Thank you both for your replies, and yes, there is no external aerial on these later models, so there must be another reason for the navigation problem, I need to do a drive in rain and see if it happens again.  Thanks for putting my mind at rest on the low battery warming, it was with the ignition on but the engine off.  Thanks to you both for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.

#5 craigy02

craigy02

TF regular

• Members
  • 627 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo titanium x
  • Name:craig

Posted 04 August 2015 - 03:20 PM

POPULAR

I have a fx sat nav and have had same problems as yours map showing just the pointer and showing zero sats and make sure you are on a digitised road

after moving the gps slightly it picks the sats back up  

• Pigfeet likes this

petrol ford mondeo mk4 2.0 titanium x 57 plate

#6 Pigfeet

Pigfeet

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 06:45 PM

I have a fx sat nav and have had same problems as yours map showing just the pointer and showing zero sats and make sure you are on a digitised road

Hi, thanks for your reply, yes I am on digitised roads, if I am not on a digitised road the map still shows on the screen, the difference with the problem I had is that the screen was totally blue with just the red pointer, just like the dreaded screen of death you get on a computer.  

#7 craigy02

craigy02

TF regular

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 06:51 AM

POPULAR

Hi, thanks for your reply, yes I am on digitised roads, if I am not on a digitised road the map still shows on the screen, the difference with the problem I had is that the screen was totally blue with just the red pointer, just like the dreaded screen of death you get on a computer.  

sorry I meant to put that's what mine comes up with about (digitised roads) nothing there but a pointer

playing with the gps solved this problem but now and again it still does this

Edited by craigy02, 05 August 2015 - 06:55 AM.

• Pigfeet likes this

#8 Pigfeet

Pigfeet

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:29 AM

sorry I meant to put that's what mine comes up with about (digitised roads) nothing there but a pointer

playing with the gps solved this problem but now and again it still does this

Thanks for that, when you say you play with the GPS, what do you actually do please that brings it to life?  When mine went off I did turn it and the engine on and off several times, but without any result.

#9 craigy02

craigy02

TF regular

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 12:47 PM

POPULAR

I had fitted my stereo myself so the gps I have sitting on the dash near the passenger side

I was going to put it in the pillar out of the way glad I didn't

just moving this slightly brings back the sats (as in info it states zero)and also bringing the screen back why this does this I don't know 

apollogary says yours is behind the rain sensor so worth having a look and see if you can move it and also making sure the connection behind your stereo is secure

• Pigfeet likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: navigation, low battery warning light

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users