£150 Mistral - operation MoT - Page 3 - Car Diaries - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

£150 Mistral - operation MoT

• Please log in to reply
443 replies to this topic

#21 ffoy

ffoy

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 451 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Mistral 2004
  • Name:Graham Foy

Posted 16 June 2015 - 12:42 PM

Well. That's the front wheel bearing in and I am in the middle of doing the brake pipes after buying an excellent little tool called the Flaremaster 2 (Sykes Pickavant). I'm off to finish the pipes just now so not got time to update the thread with all the pics but there is one thing I'm worrying about.....

The bearings have a magnetic sensor in them for the ABS. It's not clear from looking at them which side has this so I copied the way the old bearing went in and the convention for bearings - ie writing facing you when it is in situ.

I had a look at the Haynes manual later  :kaffeetrinker_2:  and it advises

"Caution: The bearing must be fitted with the ABS wheel speed sensor ring, coloured black, towards the wheel speed sensor end of the knuckle...."

My Moog bearing didn't have any obvious black ring on it but the rubber seal at the writing end is black and this is the part I fitted facing out. ie not in at the wheel sensor. The part I fitted at the wheel sensor side has a metal plate , instead of a seal, and no writing. It's going to be a major pain to remove and destroy the bearing if it's in the wrong way  :dang:

DSC09063_zpsltev0vsy.jpg

have I put bearing in wrong way round? no black ring per Haynes manual 

DSC08954_zpsmar9mkkw.jpg

should this end have went towards sensor?

DSC09080_zpstrm60h0l.jpg

making up new pipes with the Flaremaster 2 

#22 mondy zetecs

mondy zetecs

Clever Clauggs

• Members
  • 3755 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 2.5l v6 2002
  • Name:Harry

Posted 16 June 2015 - 01:16 PM

POPULAR

I found the sensor ring was the magnetic side on the bearing and used a needle/pin to identify it.

The black ring on the picture looks like the abs sensor side .aarrgh!

Hopefully someone correct me if i am wrong.

Edited by Mondy zetecs, 16 June 2015 - 01:32 PM.

• ffoy likes this

Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost 2014

#23 ffoy

ffoy

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 12:46 AM

I'm 99.99999% sure it's in wrong. Just after posting I Googled about it and everything pointed to the black ring above being the magnet side. I actually remember when I refitted the strut that little particles of rust scale were being attracted to it. Just behind the brake-disc hub.

I'll leave it in till it fails the MoT and if there's not a lot of other things wrong will go through the whole process again. Otherwise I'll cut my losses and scrap it  :sick:

#24 ffoy

ffoy

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 04:50 PM

POPULAR

So, going back to where I was before the reversed wheel bearing issue struck me, I was re-fitting the N/S/F strut and embarking on making up brake pipes.

Well the tool I bought is great. It's the mid-price option for a brake pipe flaring tool. You can get very cheap ones which don't produce great results afaik and a dearer type which mount in a vice and have a sort of lever/punch action on them.

After much deliberation I went for this at £99.99 and I can't see why you'd need the dearer one. You can produce the flares in less than a minute with no effort. It takes much longer to prepare the ends of the pipes neatly than it does to make the flare and you'd need to do this regardless of which flaring tool you use.

The first pipe I made up was the NSF which is a nice short one to start with. This is the only one which goes directly to the ABS unit and was pretty much stuck in there. The end at the hose which gets all the muck etc thrown at it was less damaged in removal susprisingly.

DSC09055_zpshueasu23.jpg

1st pipe to be replicated is NSF. only tool required with the Flaremaster 2 is a 16mm spanner to tighten nut on die-clamp 

DSC09056_zpsxeelplgn.jpg

ABS-unit end of NSF pipe badly rounded attempting to undo it

DSC09057_zpskanrvb7m.jpg

rusty end came off much easier

DSC09059_zpsoqofmr4a.jpg

comparing male fittings supplied with new pipe against original. "same same but different" as they say in Thailand

DSC09060_zpsz8sezejz.jpg

new DIN single flare formed with Flaremaster 2 looks ok with new fitting. time will tell if seal is good

DSC09062_zpspfsrcwtx.jpg

pipe shaped up by hand against original

DSC09129_zps2jfgixqu.jpg

and fitted to ABS unit

I then moved onto the OSF which was bent out of shape dragging it out from where is sits along the bulkhead. The end which goes in the wheelarch with a few right angle bends in it was ok. I copied the new one from it despite knowing one end was out of shape but as it was a relatively straight bit I could sort that out when fitting it.

DSC09076_zpsxr39srib.jpg

original OSF pipe has gained some curves when being pulled out of engine bay...

DSC09077_zpseefavnpc.jpg

new pipe copied against it however and can correct shape when fitting it  

DSC09083_zpsmdpb1qre.jpg

bends can be accurately replicated by hand with a little care

That's the ten-pic limit reached which calls for a break in proceedings... 

Edited by ffoy, 20 June 2015 - 04:57 PM.

• imacleod likes this

#25 ffoy

ffoy

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 05:20 PM

POPULAR

DSC09120_zps36hvje18.jpg

when removing/fitting OSF pipe at wheel end access can be improved by removing plastic shield

DSC09122_zpstr3owkgz.jpg

pipe comes from hose under this rail and clips in at end

DSC09123_zpswbrq9bnt.jpg

then disappears upwards

DSC09124_zpspe8d3uok.jpg

towards then under brake-servo actuating bar/tube

DSC09125_zpsnwuo4doc.jpg

clips into top of bulkhead-mounted clips

DSC09127_zpsykgilweo.jpg

then meets short length of pipe which connects to ABS (presumably provided to make access easier)

So that was as far as I got with the brake pipes and it was time to re-fit the NSF strut c/w incorrectly-fitted bearing. Having previously changed the spring on the OSF strut I noticed something didn't look right with the top bearing on the NSF and ended up taking it off to investigate further. It's definitely damaged and looks to me like someone has had it off before and possibly fitted it incorrectly and/or lost some bearings from it. There are some deep gouges in it. The top mount has an arrow on it to tell you which way it goes on car but the Haynes advice 'The arrow and white line on the top mount must face the front of the car facing the front of the car' isn't too clear. Does is mean the arrow should be at the front (pointing left & right) or that the arrow should point towards the front (and rear)? I reckon the latter. The spring on this side is a KYB which is an aftermarket part afaik so I guess the bearing could have been damaged or put on incorrectly if the spring was changed at some point. You can actually see where the rubber mount has been on the car if you look up into the strut-housing as there will be a mark on the paint made by the rubber. This doesn't really help however if the thing has been disturbed and put back on incorrectly as there may then be two marks  :unsure:

DSC09066_zps575fre7q.jpg

NSF top mount/bearing looks damaged

DSC09068_zpstl5xmy0q.jpg

and doesn't seem to be sitting correctly

DSC09064_zpsosucginw.jpg

KYB spring suggest this is not original and may explain damage to top-mount

Edited by ffoy, 20 June 2015 - 05:33 PM.

• imacleod, Macmondy3L and Fordmonde0 like this

#26 mondy zetecs

mondy zetecs

Clever Clauggs

• Members
  • 3755 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 05:44 PM

POPULAR

You're suspicions are right.The arrow on the top mount should be Front to Rear next to the wing ,thats how i have it. 

But i've no idea why the bearing casing is damaged.Nice job with the brake pipes the pipes are neater than the ones i had fitted. 

Edited by Mondy zetecs, 20 June 2015 - 05:47 PM.

• ffoy likes this

Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost 2014

#27 ffoy

ffoy

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 05:48 PM

DSC09069_zpshsdodvpv.jpg

thrust-bearing is missing some balls 

DSC09071_zpsioiwqkdy.jpg

and the bottom plate bears some scars

DSC09070_zpsdsxmu1dr.jpg

top-mount in a bit of a mess

DSC09067_zpskcweqbje.jpg

may have been caused be incorrect fitment in past. there is a two-headed arrow moulded onto the rubber

DSC09074_zpsjso7yirv.jpg

the imprint of which can be seen if you look up into the strut-housing on the body

I re-greased the bearings and re-assembled things and it does seem to be sitting correctly now but am thinking I should perhaps buy a new one. Or a used strut which might have a decent top-mount and bearing in it.

I got some Thule roofbars for £26 off Ebay and there was no P&P as they were local. Thought it was a good buy as any I previously bid on have went for nearer £60 and those that are cheap tend to be collection only as ppl can't be bothered wrapping them up due to the size.

DSC09086_zps6rsxeo7d.jpg

new (used) roofbars for £26 off Ebay

DSC09087_zpslsou6zfp.jpg

DSC09095_zpsocxtzbvd.jpg

came with fittings

DSC09107_zpsnj9vd0vk.jpg

remove caps from rails

DSC09108_zpsmjmyg8si.jpg

mounting holes are filled with sealant 

Edited by ffoy, 20 June 2015 - 05:57 PM.

#28 ffoy

ffoy

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 06:06 PM

DSC09101_zpsh3kkbkzn.jpg

and can be exposed by digging a plug of sealant out

DSC09110_zps7s8sngcl.jpg

screw the little studs in

DSC09118_zps0oetmzuw.jpg

and find they don't sit centrally in the holes

DSC09119_zpsqrcvckj6.jpg

when you drop the collars on they sit on top of the rail rather than inside it but this is not because they are off-centre. the collars are slightly wider than the holes

DSC09090_zpsyheqykbx.jpg

rubber feet have different numbers on them. 03

DSC09089_zps0tls6lff.jpg

DSC09104_zpsqlxmvlx5.jpg

and also 1/2 & 2/2

DSC09102_zpswwkqzn33.jpg

but metal feet all have same number 07 so assume same

DSC09106_zpswdpjzdyc.jpg

rubber feet are different heights at either end

DSC09111_zpsheiqip4k.jpg

to accommodate curve of roof. will sit like this if you get them wrong

Edited by ffoy, 20 June 2015 - 06:09 PM.

#29 mondy zetecs

mondy zetecs

Clever Clauggs

• Members
  • 3755 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 06:17 PM

POPULAR

My roofbar holes were covered with thin cover of sealant i just poked them through, i would definitely fit a new top strut mount its about £17 to £30 and refit bottom bearing just incase the abs sensor lights up.

Edited by Mondy zetecs, 20 June 2015 - 06:20 PM.

• ffoy likes this

Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost 2014

#30 Macmondy3L

Macmondy3L

TF regular

• Members
  • 1287 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 06:18 PM

POPULAR

Nice work with the copper brake pipes,much better quality than the standard items and no corrosion to bother you again,excellent upgrade!!
Again another good write up fella.
  • ffoy likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users