So, Monday came and I spent the early part of the afternoon measuring, re-measuring and re-measuring all the brake pipes before approaching the motor factors. All the time thinking of the time I got some done for my Polo and had to watch the guy 'measuring' them whilst talking to his mate on a wintery Saturday PM. I got to my garage with them, about 10 miles away from the shop, to find some of them about a foot short and I had no transport to get back there
I was determined this wouldn't happen again. In case anyone is interested here are the specs:
- N/S/F: 60cm - 2 male fittings
- O/S/F: 117cm - 1 male & 1 female fitting
- N/S/R: 166cm - 2 male
- O/S/R: 114cm - 1 male & 1 female
- N/S/Fr-Rr: 345cm - 2 female
- O/S/Fr-Rr: 299cm - 2 male
brake pipes to be unfurled and measured
So. I set off on the bicycle with my rusty pipes and the stats to find the shop which I used to go to is now a nail salon, I then popped round to the motor factors that I got the wheel bearing from and it was no can do there but with a suggestion that an MoT station could make them for me. I then cycled into the next town to try another place I used to get them. Now an estate agents.
So I headed back to the garage and the landlord and his labourer were saying 'big Jim could make them up for you etc, have a beer blah blah blah'. I protested I wanted to achieve something with my day (ie fit the front wheel bearing) but I was soon drinking with them. They retired about 9 and doing the bearing seemed a bit unrealistic so I turned to the subframe.
Rather surprisingly all the rusty bolts came out no problem and the unit was soon wiggled out which will make re-fitting the pipes a lot easier - if I ever get any!
another rusty bolt
amazed at how clean the bolts connecting lower-arms the rear-knuckles were
subframe-to-body bolts weren't too bad either
once detached I pulled unit out to one side
which allowed other side to drop below strut/knuckle....
.....and be pulled out. NB unit is not as heavy as Haynes manual suggests
would be nice to have it powdercoated
exhaust needs to be lowered to get crossmember out. was sufficient to unhook from rubbers and rest on something to avoid strain up at CAT end
Edited by ffoy, 12 June 2015 - 01:25 PM.