210 BHP Bi Turbo Emissions Worse Than 180 BHP Engine - Page 2 - Diesel Engines (Mk5 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

210 BHP Bi Turbo Emissions Worse Than 180 BHP Engine

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#11 fordboi

fordboi

Little Megger

• Global Moderator
  • 494 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 12:16 PM

That is the first thing that came to my mind. If you want more power in an internal combustion engine, you must put more fuel through it, you can do that by adding capacity, or forcing in more, using charging.
Problem is, you do use more fuel to make more power, and more fuel put in means more fuel burnt, means more emissions put out.
Now, let's say you drive both your single turbo and dual turbo at the same speed, then you should use the same joule energy to do that, given the gearing and some other factors are the same. Why then should there be a significant emission level difference whether you have a single or dual turbo vehicle. Not sure, as you should use roughly x joule to perform that work - given both vehicles weigh the same, have the same aerodynamic qualities and same gearing, etc.
This makes for an interesting topic, but I suspect we need a serious engineer to bring a conclusion.

By increasing the efficiency of the engine I.E. increasing the power output for a set amount of fuel by reducing other losses such as internal friction, heat, noise and rotational inertia. At the end of the day its a balance between an efficient engine and one that doesn't cost a fortune to build.

#12 Monsieur Kev

Monsieur Kev

Big Megger

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 02:06 PM

So now with the VW scandal, vehicle emissions are coming under renewed scrutiny, with the British Transport Secretary planning to have all car models re-tested under a more realistic regime.

When you think that Vehicle Excise Duty for many cars or Business Users company car tax benefit may be artificially low, due to rigged vehicle emissions tests or manufacturers simply cheating, new results could prove how much tax has been avoided by motorists. Basically HMRC may have been defrauded of revenue.

When new tests on models show non compliance with emission targets and their current CO2 bands, HMRC will demand back payment of tax. Who should pay this? The manufacturer or the owner of the car?

I think at the moment it is best to buy petrol as sentiment is now turning against diesel engines.
New Fords:
2014 S Max 2.0 tdci Titanium, 2009 Mondeo MK4 2.0 Tdci Titanium X estate
2006 Mondeo MK3 2.2 Tdci Titanium X Estate
2004 Mondeo MK3 2.0 Tdci Ghia 5 door
2001 Cougar 2.5 X Manual, 2000 Galaxy Zetec 115 PDi
2000 Cougar 2.5 X auto, 1978 Fiesta 1300S
Pre-owned:
Sierra1600L Estate, Capri 3.0S, Granada Scorpio 2.8i

#13 mike wilson

mike wilson

SMeghead

• Members
  • 1120 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 02:40 PM

POPULAR

You don't really believe petrol engines are immune to what's been going on, do you?
  • herrbohnen likes this

#14 Monsieur Kev

Monsieur Kev

Big Megger

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 03:12 PM

You don't really believe petrol engines are immune to what's been going on, do you?

No one knows at the moment if petrol engines have also had a defeat device fitted. However before this scandal broke with VW, diesel engines were already under scrutiny due to their NO2 emissions and soot particles, both areas which are limited to diesel engines.
New Fords:
2014 S Max 2.0 tdci Titanium, 2009 Mondeo MK4 2.0 Tdci Titanium X estate
2006 Mondeo MK3 2.2 Tdci Titanium X Estate
2004 Mondeo MK3 2.0 Tdci Ghia 5 door
2001 Cougar 2.5 X Manual, 2000 Galaxy Zetec 115 PDi
2000 Cougar 2.5 X auto, 1978 Fiesta 1300S
Pre-owned:
Sierra1600L Estate, Capri 3.0S, Granada Scorpio 2.8i

#15 steve_j

steve_j

Big Megger

• Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 07:20 PM

POPULAR

how much tax has been avoided by motorists. Basically HMRC may have been defrauded of revenue.

Tax avoidance is not fraud, tax evasion is. In this case the cars were bought in good faith, the motorists can't be held responsible. I would assume that the revised tests will include petrol engines, so don't gloat too much yet...

• herrbohnen likes this

#16 nilagin

nilagin

ME

• Members
  • 5869 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Focus RS
  • Name:Neil

Posted 25 September 2015 - 08:52 PM

No one knows at the moment if petrol engines have also had a defeat device fitted. However before this scandal broke with VW, diesel engines were already under scrutiny due to their NO2 emissions and soot particles, both areas which are limited to diesel engines.

Nox and soot aren't limited to diesel engines. Direct injection petrol engines produce the same, just in much smaller quantities.

67 Plate Shadow Black Focus RS  ;)

#17 nilagin

nilagin

ME

• Members
  • 5869 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Focus RS
  • Name:Neil

Posted 25 September 2015 - 08:57 PM

So now with the VW scandal, vehicle emissions are coming under renewed scrutiny, with the British Transport Secretary planning to have all car models re-tested under a more realistic regime.

Even if tests are carried out under a more realistic regime, car manufacturers should have nothing to worry about unless they tried to cheat the figures as VW have. All previous testing has been done under EU guidelines so unless other cheating methods can be found, there isn't a great deal anything can be done.

67 Plate Shadow Black Focus RS  ;)

#18 herrbohnen

herrbohnen

grumpy old git

• Members
  • 2271 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk.5 tit estate 4x 4

Posted 26 September 2015 - 08:03 AM

with the dpf and egr fully functional it's almost impossible to smell any exhaust , that's not to to say there's none mind

#19 chriscatt

chriscatt

MEG Sergeant

• Members
  • 5364 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:A4 & 2018 Fiesta

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:31 AM

The defeat system is only for diesels, lets not get confused between testing for nitrogen oxides and co2 as well, and the different way in which the testing is performed in the US to that we have in the EU. VW were actually informed of the differences of nitrogen oxides being some 40 times higher in real driving than that when they were being tested over a year ago, however they decided to ignore it.
2017 Fiesta Titanium X
5-Door
1.0L 100ps Ecoboost
Ruby Red
Panoramic Roof
Active Park Assist

#20 gregs24

gregs24

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 294 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Ford Mustang

Posted 26 September 2015 - 03:46 PM

The defeat system is only for diesels, lets not get confused between testing for nitrogen oxides and co2 as well, and the different way in which the testing is performed in the US to that we have in the EU. VW were actually informed of the differences of nitrogen oxides being some 40 times higher in real driving than that when they were being tested over a year ago, however they decided to ignore it.

As far as I'm aware the 'defeat system' works when a vehicle is put on a rolling road - it detects that one axle isn't moving. Now this is completely legit as otherwise putting the car on a rolling road would completely upset all the stability control systems (front wheels doing 40mph and rears 0mph) so it has to be there. The problem is it has been used to initiate a completely different engine map to achieve better results which is not legit. I can't see why petrol engine cars will not be affected as well - or at least the potential is there.

Unfortunately it makes a mockery of the government taxation system which has been adjusted over the years to keep moving the target forward when in reality progress is nothing like as good as was imagined. This is NOT just a VW problem - the can of worms is MUCH bigger and will throw all the current testing and legislative targets in the bin. I don't really see why anybody should be surprised - if you can't manage the official mpg figures the car sure as hell isn't managing the official CO2 figures et al.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users