87 Fiesta cut out and wont start - Ford Fiesta Mk1 / Mk2 / Mk3 Forum - (1976-1995) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

87 Fiesta cut out and wont start

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 thedon

thedon

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:1987 1.1 Ford Fiesta
  • Name:Paul

Posted 11 March 2015 - 07:30 AM

Hi all,

I went out last night to the local shop and when I came back, whilst turning into my drive, the engine cut out and now wont start.

The engine turns over normally, so it aint the starter motor or battery, and it has no fancy computer telling the engine what to do.

It just turns over like it should but wont fire.

The Fiesta has had new sparkplugs fitted, but I have noticed the car hesitates and jerks whilst driving, so possible HT leads are in for a change, but could that really make the engine just cut out and all of a sudden not restart again?

Edited by thedon, 11 March 2015 - 07:31 AM.

#2 fordboi

fordboi

Little Megger

• Global Moderator
  • 494 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:21 AM

Check the basics first, have you got fuel being delivered and have you got a spark? HT leads tend to cause missfires, not total reluctance to start. Sounds more like a fuel or distributor problem possibly.

#3 thedon

thedon

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:34 AM

Thanks for the reply Fordboi.

The carb seems to being getting fuel as I managed to get it into the garage last night, and checked the trottle linkage to the carb.

You can hear the fuel being squirted into the carb.

Their was a little dampness last night also, but the car started fine and drove for what was only 2 mins, to and back from the shop.

Could the dampness have caused the engine to cut out and not restart?

You could be right about the distributor also.

#4 thedon

thedon

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:34 PM

Oh my word, these old Fiestas take the p***!

Wouldn't start at all last night.

Girlfriend goes out this morning, turns the key and it started straight away. :blink:

Guess all it needed was a womans touch!

Thanks anyway fordboi

#5 siruncle

siruncle

munching bananas

• Global Moderator
  • 18998 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:St150
  • Name:Pete

Posted 11 March 2015 - 08:46 PM

i always wrapped the ignition coil on fiestas, as it is just in the right place for a drowning (just in front of front windscreen), even if only for the moist parts of the year...

dizzy (points set ok)?, good rotor arm?, decent leads? Air leak carb-inlet manifold? Sticky choke?

<p><p>From Rutland, Leicestershire or Northamptonshire? Join the Rutland Group, http://www.talkford....land-area-page/ Leicestershire, http://www.talkford....leicestershire/ or Northamptonshire, http://www.talkford....rthamptonshire/2000 (W) Mondeo Mk2 Ghia 2.0 Hatch in Stardust Silver, now has company, a 2000 (W) Transit Smiley :) 2.5di (ish), in diamond white, with a blue stripe. (pics coming soon). Also 05 Fiesta St150 in colorado red. This is Ford country, listen quietly and you can hear Vauxhalls rusting :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users