What do you really dislike about the Mk5 Mondeo? - Page 51 - Mondeo Mk5 General Discussions - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

What do you really dislike about the Mk5 Mondeo?

• Please log in to reply
507 replies to this topic

#501 rdc49_uk

rdc49_uk

Likes to chat

• Lifetime Gold Member
  • 106 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:2015 MK5 Mondeo

Posted 19 April 2020 - 10:21 PM

Just turn off the auto high beam feature for good, and switch between high and low beams yourself. The way it's implemented in the Mk5 makes it very easy and convenient: push the lever towards the dash to turn the high beam on or off, pull it towards you to give a short flash. 

In the Mk4 it was a bit awkward, because the lever went only one way, and the difference between a flash and a high beam activation consisted solely in the force you put into pulling the lever. Countless times I wanted to flash and I turned on the high beam instead because I pulled the lever just a tiny bit too hard. Nasty design. But in the Mk5 it's bliss.

The thing is, auto high beam doesn't mean that you simply forget about it. It's not like the auto headlights feature, which works consistently and reliably. With the auto high beam I was always, always paying attention to what it was doing: "Let's see, now it should switch to high beam, will it switch? Oh, yes, it did. Cool! Now, a car is coming the other way. Will it switch to low beam? Come on, come on... oh, it did, that's good. Now, there's no one coming the other way, will it switch to high beam? Hmmm... no, it's not switching. Why won't it switch? Oh, it's probably because of that street light over there. OK, I'll do it myself." And it would go on like this for the entire journey. Very tiring and annoying. It's much easier and more convenient to just do it myself every time. 

That is why I turned mine off too!

#502 Perlogalism

Perlogalism

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk5 Mondeo
  • Name:Mike Howard

Posted 26 January 2021 - 04:32 PM

Before I start Love how it looks and goes,

HATE how water still pours into the boot and on your head when it's been raining .

Yes the window buttons are to far forward like others here always operate the rears.

Hate that the stereo keeps rebooting but even when it doesn't hate that the surround mode in settings always reverts to stereo.

The clock never changes with the hour change  even thou it's set to do so.

The ambiant lighting could be better.

Hate that when the car is wet the handles will lock when you grab to open even though you unlocked the car because it's chucking it down you just want to get in.

Hate that the tones of chimes change from time to time and so you're looking at the display for what's wrong.

Hate that the leather marks due to seatbelts  when you fold seats down this was a problem on my mk3  you'd think they could sort this stuff out by now .

Finally hate the economy NOTHING at all like what they quote. even when I drive like a nun.

Seconded, especially the fuel economy. I got an EASY 54mpg out of my old Mk3 2.0Tdci. Now I struggle to get 44 out of the same sized engine. You would have thought that engine technology would have improved in 13 years?

#503 Mark M

Mark M

TF regular

• Members
  • 1297 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk4 Mondeo 2.5t
  • Name:Mark

Posted 26 January 2021 - 05:20 PM

POPULAR

What do I dislike about the Mk5?

Well, when they first came out it was the front end, I thought it was a bit of a munter to be honest. Now though what I really dislike is that they're out of my price range as I quite like the look of them now.

Edited by Mark M, 26 January 2021 - 05:20 PM.

• yanna1 likes this

RamAir Pod Filter   -   Elevate FST225 Top Pipe   -   Airtec FMIC   -   Scorpion Downpipe   -    Scorpion Cat Back Exhaust   -   ECV Valve   -   RS DMF + Clutch Kit   -   Bluefin Stage 2

Sports Rear Diffuser   -   Sports Top Front Grill   -   Sports Bottom Front Grill   -   Sports Fog Lights   -   Sport Pedal Covers   -   Dark Ice Designs Auto Lift Boot Struts   -   Dark Ice Designs Bonnet Rams   -   Dark Ice Designs Short Shift Kit   -   Auto Mirror Mod   -   Interior LED Conversion   -   Nextbase 402 and 512 Dashcams  -  Convers Mod

295bhp & 450nm of fun, but can still give 38mpg  :driving: 

#504 tombchasser

tombchasser

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 03:12 PM

Before I start Love how it looks and goes,

HATE how water still pours into the boot and on your head when it's been raining .

Yes the window buttons are to far forward like others here always operate the rears.

Hate that the stereo keeps rebooting but even when it doesn't hate that the surround mode in settings always reverts to stereo.

The clock never changes with the hour change  even thou it's set to do so.

The ambiant lighting could be better.

Hate that when the car is wet the handles will lock when you grab to open even though you unlocked the car because it's chucking it down you just want to get in.

Hate that the tones of chimes change from time to time and so you're looking at the display for what's wrong.

Hate that the leather marks due to seatbelts  when you fold seats down this was a problem on my mk3  you'd think they could sort this stuff out by now .

Finally hate the economy NOTHING at all like what they quote. even when I drive like a nun.

Seconded, especially the fuel economy. I got an EASY 54mpg out of my old Mk3 2.0Tdci. Now I struggle to get 44 out of the same sized engine. You would have thought that engine technology would have improved in 13 years?

Wow ....the absalute best I ever got was 40mpg on a motorway run nice and steady usually get 28 ish driver round to work etc city streets. not great. Yeah you would think it would have been improved buy now.

#505 oake

oake

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Titanium 1.5 2018
  • Name:Steve

Posted 28 January 2021 - 08:39 AM

The thing is, auto high beam doesn't mean that you simply forget about it. It's not like the auto headlights feature, which works consistently and reliably. With the auto high beam I was always, always paying attention to what it was doing: "Let's see, now it should switch to high beam, will it switch? Oh, yes, it did. Cool! Now, a car is coming the other way. Will it switch to low beam? Come on, come on... oh, it did, that's good. Now, there's no one coming the other way, will it switch to high beam? Hmmm... no, it's not switching. Why won't it switch? Oh, it's probably because of that street light over there. OK, I'll do it myself." And it would go on like this for the entire journey. Very tiring and annoying. It's much easier and more convenient to just do it myself every time. 

What a relief to read this, and other people's agreement with it. My partner gets impatient when I obsess over auto high beam, so I thought it was just me!

Thanks Vlad.

Mondeo Titanium Edition 1.5 Auto Moondust Silver Feb 2018

#506 TreborB

TreborB

8 gears or more please

• Members
  • 5263 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:BMW 320i M Sport
  • Name:TrevorB

Posted 28 January 2021 - 12:05 PM

I never had a single problem with my Mk5 that had the LED lights with auto high beam. I did a lot of night driving and they never missed a beat, one of the best things on the car - miss them like crazy now

BMW 320i M Sport 2019 Mineral Grey, Steptronic 8 speed ZF Auto

( Sorry but NO 2.3 Ecoboost 8 Speed Auto Mondeo's to be found!)

Focus 2018 Mk3.5, 1 Litre Ecoboost 140ps ST Line, SYNC3 Sat Nav, Parking Sensors, Colour Magnetic - Gifted to the Wife! Then Sold Aug 2019

Mondeo Mk5 Titanium 2L Ecoboost 240ps, X Pack, Body Kit, Rear Spoiler, 19" Alloys, LED Headlamps, Sony 12 Spkr Audio, Park Assist, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, Magnetic, Built Sept 2015,Sold Oct 2018.

Mondeo TitaniumX Sport 240ps 2L Ecoboost Powershift 2011 - Sold 2016 But Never Forgotten.

2007 - 2010, 4 New Focus ST225s

#507 KAZUYADOG

KAZUYADOG

I'm Bang Tidy

• Members
  • 9541 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:MONDEO 2.5T TIT X
  • Name:Mick

Posted 08 February 2021 - 06:39 PM

I hate the way the passenger seat belt buckle rattles against the passenger seat side,annoys the t1ts off me.

MY ST220 ON THE DYNO AT DREAMSCIENCE DREAMSCIENCE DYNO WITH POWER OUPUT

2006 Final Facelift ST220 in Stardust Silver - Owner is a Fan Boy.
Now with its very first MOT.Second MOT passed today 6-July-2010.
19" Arden Sportline Alloys (German Jaguar) - 20" MS Design Alloys (For Shows)
This BOY - Is pure Chaka Chaka and Bang Tidy.
Dreamscience 251 bhp 215 lbf.ft - Bluefin Stg Two 241 bhp 211 lbf.ft

#508 TreborB

TreborB

8 gears or more please

• Members
  • 5263 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:BMW 320i M Sport
  • Name:TrevorB

Posted 08 February 2021 - 10:27 PM

Mick, I know what you mean, the Beemer is the same. I can't remember now, is there not a plastic "slider" on the Mondeo webbing that you can adjust so the buckle sits higher or lower on the webbing, hence not flapping about

BMW 320i M Sport 2019 Mineral Grey, Steptronic 8 speed ZF Auto

( Sorry but NO 2.3 Ecoboost 8 Speed Auto Mondeo's to be found!)

Focus 2018 Mk3.5, 1 Litre Ecoboost 140ps ST Line, SYNC3 Sat Nav, Parking Sensors, Colour Magnetic - Gifted to the Wife! Then Sold Aug 2019

Mondeo Mk5 Titanium 2L Ecoboost 240ps, X Pack, Body Kit, Rear Spoiler, 19" Alloys, LED Headlamps, Sony 12 Spkr Audio, Park Assist, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, Magnetic, Built Sept 2015,Sold Oct 2018.

Mondeo TitaniumX Sport 240ps 2L Ecoboost Powershift 2011 - Sold 2016 But Never Forgotten.

2007 - 2010, 4 New Focus ST225s

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)