Flywheel timing point - paranoid check - Diesel Engines (Mondeo Mk3) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Flywheel timing point - paranoid check

flywheel timing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 oldbod

oldbod

Veteran

• Members
  • 5525 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 2002 TDCi 130
  • Name:Alan Severne

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:11 PM

Hi All

Checking timing on my 2002 130 manual.   Not got the crankshaft pulley off so limited reference points.

I have the locking pin, can't shift (despite trying everything everybody was kind enough to suggest but heat - still wondering who has my tools) glowplugs in cyl 1&2

Using technical tool (timber with coachbolts into holes in steel wheel ) I can turn the engine over but still rather in fits and starts.

So to avoid (and I may be worrying too much) stressing the flywheel lugs or damaging the casting that the sensor fits into by mistake I'm trying to line up using a camera. Trouble is I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

So to the point

does this look like where my timing pin should go please?2014-05-22_06-27-21-PM.jpg

Thanks everybody - much appreciated.

The other replies you've had or will get are from people who know a lot more about this stuff than I do.  Treat what I post as something along the lines of intending to prompt "it won't be that, but I wonder if"  thoughts rather than informed advice. I know I do - treat my own thoughts that way I mean. 

#2 salta

salta

MEG Corporal

• Members
  • 5689 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 01:56 PM

HI Alan If you read that post again and look at the picture jpeg.. and consider a semi literate .. half blind muffin chomper .like me ..sat here trying to work out what is going on . other that two glow plugs are stuk .. .. then perhaps you will reconider please and sticking to one issue at a time . explain please what you are trying to do re timing ..  and with reference to non removal of the crank pulley .   remember there are two timing holes in the cam sprockets which using six mil pins shuld line up with holes drilled in the head ..  . this pins the cam positions with reference to the crank . pin .. a bent pinn can be acquired form lazer tooles which drop in to where you remove the crank sensor on the gearbox belhousing .  i IF  the crank pin and the cam pinned holes line up this would indicate the timming is not too far out .. but remember that removing the crank pulley will not be major jobbie .. only three bolts using an old aux ..belt and vise grips to hold the puley .. remova of said pulley is not very difficult . once tackled .... note it is vertually impossible to check the timing properly in my opinion without removinng the tiiming chain cover ..

#3 peter scott

peter scott

???

• Members
  • 3621 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:04 Zetec130TDCi Eur3
  • Name:peter scott

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:41 PM

Hi Alan,

I don't know if this helps (and I don't know if you have the early type with fewer big teeth) but here are a few images.

Peter

Attached Thumbnails

• timing slot.jpg
  • timing slot2.jpg
  • timing slot3.jpg
  • timing teeth.jpg

F-Super Information ..................TDCi Injector Information

TDCi Injector Cleaning...............Injector Leak-Off Test

Ford ETIS........                  ..  .........Peter's other interests .............. ....

#4 oldbod

oldbod

Veteran

• Members
  • 5525 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:59 PM

Hi salta and peter and thanks very much for fhe advice/info. Can't reply properly now but will post later. Thanks again
Alan

The other replies you've had or will get are from people who know a lot more about this stuff than I do.  Treat what I post as something along the lines of intending to prompt "it won't be that, but I wonder if"  thoughts rather than informed advice. I know I do - treat my own thoughts that way I mean. 

#5 peter scott

peter scott

???

• Members
  • 3621 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:04 Zetec130TDCi Eur3
  • Name:peter scott

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:04 PM

. Can't reply properly now but will post later. Thanks again
Alan

Finger stuck in the timing slot? :whistling:

F-Super Information ..................TDCi Injector Information

TDCi Injector Cleaning...............Injector Leak-Off Test

Ford ETIS........                  ..  .........Peter's other interests .............. ....

#6 oldbod

oldbod

Veteran

• Members
  • 5525 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:12 AM

Hi again. Thank you both for making me smile - muffin chomper and stuck finger. Appreciated / timely- domestic crisis.
Sorry it was a bit of a ramble. I know i should take timing case off. Just tricky without tool and in road. Basically just trying to do superficial timing check - links and sprocket marks /wire thru holess where 6mm pin would go - before buying tools and parts and doing the lying in the traffic bit
Pretty sure now crank is probably pinned correctly so on with dismantling/proper checks. Thanks again for all your help - really is appreciated.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: flywheel, timing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users